“Awesome experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of John's Roast Pork

John's Roast Pork
14 E. Snyder Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19148 (Bella Vista / Queen Village)
(215) 463-1951
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Frankfurt, Germany
“Awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just the surroundings of this "restaurant" are great - run-down area, right next to a factory in a neighborhood where the Target store is considered upscale. Sitting outside in the sun and enjoying a sandwich is a great experience. Like other hole-in-the-wall joints the nutritious value or food hygiene might not be for everyone, but it certainly felt like Philadelphia.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Plano, Texas, United States
“My trip to Johns cost me a trip to the ER”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had recently seen an episode about John on a cooking show and the food looked delicious. So on my trip to Maryland my husband and I decided to drive to Philly and try Johns out. The food was delicious I had the roasted pork with spinach and my hubby had the traditional philly cheese steak. On the drive back to Maryland I started feeling sick and by the time I made it back to the hotel I was throwing up with abdominal pain. Which lead me to go to the hospital later the doctor diagnosis it as food poison. The food was good but if I return I will not have the roasted pork I rather see them cook the meat on a very hot grill verses eating meat sitting in warm water......

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Centreville, Virginia
“This should be #1 restaurant in Philly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I drove from Virginia specifically to have a roast pork sandwich from this place, it did not disappoint!! The people were VERY friendly, my friends and I were slightly intimidated by how to order "properly". But it was really simple and everyone was smiling and happy to be making sandwiches for the masses! The pork was so tender and juicy...I got it with spinach and sharp provolone and by the way, when ordering this you say "large pork Italian with sharp". Its a beautiful thing! I can't wait to go back...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great food stand”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Located in South Philly near the waterfront, it is not easy to find, but the sandwiches are great. Like Geno's and Pat's cheese steak emporiums, this is one of those street-side little take out places with a few picnic tables outside, It makes great cheese-steaks, but is best known for its roast pork sandwich. Thin slices of pork roast simmered au jus are piled high on a hoagie roll. You can get it with mild or aged provolone and Italian-seasoned cooked spinach, Delicious! A favorite haunt of the locals and working men from the neighborhood.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York
“Don't miss out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I recently spent 4 days in Philly on a cheesesteak mission. This was easily in my top 2. The roll is perfect and the cheesesteak is a lot less greasy than the majority I tried. Definitely put this on your list of cheesesteaks not to be missed.

• Visited March 2013