“Great Roast Pork Sandwich” 5 of 5 stars
Review of John's Roast Pork

John's Roast Pork
14 E. Snyder Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19148 (Bella Vista / Queen Village)
(215) 463-1951
Cuisines: Barbecue, Sandwiches
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Philadelphia
“Great Roast Pork Sandwich”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife Cathy and I walked there from the nearby Lowe's and split a large roast pork sandwich. While paying for it we were asked if we had cheese, and we answered "yes, provolone" and then we were asked spinach? And I said Huh? So the owner(I Assume) went and got us a little container of spinach to try in the sandwich. We sat outside where they had ample places to sit(none inside) and all their condiments, whole cherry peppers, pickles, hot sauce etc. When you sit outside you are literally sitting on a railroad track that is in service. The sandwich was incredible and very interesting with the added spinach. After a tasty and messy sandwich there is access to a spigot out the back to use to clean your hands. Very cool. Great experience. Worth the stop before a sporting event at the Stadium Complex and walkable from Washington Square.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Williamstown, New Jersey
“Good old fashioned sandwich”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

If you are looking for a roast pork that is much better than your mom ever made at home, head to John's roast pork in South Philly. The pork is seasoned to perfection and tender. The au jus is so flavorful. The bread also compliments the flavorful meat. It is well worth the trip.

Visited October 2012
“This south phillie establishment is worth the drive, from anywhere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Had the pleasure of eating at johns roast pork on advice from a friend on a recent college visiting day trip. We were so impressed, I made a special trip back up from Baltimore just to eat lunch. We had the pleasure of sitting and enjoying our lunch with John and his mother Vonda, and hearing about the history and growth of this iconic establishment. It's great to see a multi generation run family business. The cheesesteak sub was by far the best I've had in Philly. The amount of meat was insane and the sharp provolone was a great touch. Words cannot describe the roast pork sub. Just know to get the sharp provolone and spinach.Kudos to John and his family. The hour and half drive, one way was totally worth it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Waterford
“Fantastic place for lunch!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I was on a mission to find a local Marshall's department store in order to get a more comfortable pair of shoes for my stayin Philly for a business conference... My GPS directed me to E. Snyder Ave. As I approached my destination, I glanced over at this lunch shack - John's Roast Pork - that had a line of people out the door and around the corner and several folks eating at picnic tables outdoors. It was 2:00pm and well past the normal lunch hour, but something told me this had to be a local "gem." My mind was set that I was headed back to John's for a late lunch just as soon as I found a pair of comfortable shoes! Let's just say, there is a good reason why the line was long... I ordered the cheesesteak with sweet peppers and onions, a small fry and a drink.... By far, this was the best cheesesteak I have ever had! The service was outstanding, the food was great and the owner was pleased to share the history of the family business with me when I asked. Aside from the local restaurants in Saratoga Springs, NY where I'm apt to know the owner's name, John Bucci was extremely friendly and went as far as introducing me to his wife and mother and some of the other local folks dining outside. (There were two vrigins dining at John's today - me and anopther woman who was brought there by her daughter who continued to rave about the place as they enjoyed their roast beef hoagies. I'm in town for the week and plan on returning with my colleagues. PS - I programmed the address on my GPS as a favorite!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Little dry”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Heard bout it. Tried it. Little dry. Should of asked for more au jus. Was kind of cool hangin' on Two st. again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere