“Good hotel but some major issues” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing

You added Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 North Christopher Columbus Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (Formerly Comfort Inn Downtown/Historic Area) (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
St Maarten-St Martin
“Good hotel but some major issues”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed here for 3 nights in May 2015. The hotel is in a nice location and also has parking for those who need it. However, we had 3 problems that marred our stay. Firstly, all the rooms on the rear side of the hotel face highway I-95 and this makes them very noisy. It was not easy getting a good night's sleep. One of the staff even joked when we checked in if we would like a pair of ear plugs. I did not understand why she would say this at the time, but after we entered our room, it made sense. We asked to be moved and they did move us to a somewhat better room the next day, still at the back, in the corner, but not perfect. We were told that all the rooms that are in the front were sold out. Second problem we had was that one elevator was not working all the three days that we were there. This made it quite aggravating having to wait for the elevator every time we wanted to go up or down since all the guests had to use that one elevator only. Third problem was the attitude of Teeza, one of the front desk staff. She was abrupt and extremely hyper in every encounter we had with her over the three days. The rest of the staff were extremely pleasant I must say, but Teeza's attitude left a lot to be desired. On our last day, there was a fire alarm at 6am in the morning and we had to evacuate our rooms. Even at this time, Teeza was not really nice. I later found out that the fire alarm was due to a elevator motor burning out. Breakfast was decent (standard HI Exp fare) and the rooms were clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the front, facing the water.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Turkish first
Salida, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed in a newly decorated room and it was nice and clean. The hot breakfast and good coffee was appreciated. The staff was kind enough to offer us a late check-out time of 2 pm. This really helped us make better use of our day.
The location was great, with many places close by to eat and drink.
They had valet parking, but it was quick and easy to get our car and less expensive than the Omni Hotel offers.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I needed a room and the city was full . Work in oncology was aas asked at the last minute to help out at Penn Hospital.
The going rate for the night was 400 to 450 . Everywhere! This Hotel actually gave me a the Hospital Rate in spite of the convention going on. This Hotel has true compassion the surgery was g or an 11 year old little girl with cancer . I can't say enough for this establishment, and the Hotel manager Kim K. She made sure that I had a room and could do my job . My room was nice , clean and close to the Hospital.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Stephenville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed all aspects of the hotel. the staff was very nice and helpful with dining recommendations and transportation needs. I highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Philly!

Room Tip: River view rooms are available
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Penn’s Landing Friday-Sunday, May 8-10, 2015. We had locked our tablets/phones, wallets, and chargers, etc. in the safe before we went out for the day on Saturday morning (around 11:00am). But I had accidently forgotten to put the HDMI cord (for my tablet) in the safe as well. The cord was in a plastic sandwich bag, sitting on top of the TV dresser/stand. When we got back into the room before dinner (around 4:00), the cord was gone. Though the thief was kind enough to throw the empty bag out in the trash for me! I guess it’s my fault that I left wire out. Thankfully our other things were in the safe!!!! I will never stay here again!! Though the price/location is good, I urge others not to as well. Or at least make sure you remember to lock up ALL belongings!!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Kelly R, Front Desk Supervisor at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Amy 7830,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. This is completely unacceptable and must be addressed immediately. Please give myself Kelly Ryder or the Assistant General Manager Andrew Harris a call at your earliest convenience to discuss this further. You can call the hotel directly at 215-627-7900. This type of behavior will not be tolerated. I apologize on behalf of the entire team and I look forward to hearing from you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We have always stayed elsewhere, and with a different chain but due to a relocation of family members we decided staying right in the city was better. I actually booked this without checking tripadvisor - something I never do, so I was REALLY happy to see all the great reviews.

I can happily add mine.

We ordered the parking package so we got $5 off that- it cost $20. It's sort of a mishmash of self park/valet. You check in, get your tag, drive around to the lot, and leave your keys with the attendant.

We joined the loyalty club and saved $2 on the upgrade to the river view room. Really, it's worth the whopping $10 extra. The view is spectacular.

The room was clean, the beds were comfy, the wireless free and fast. Breakfast was exellent for free. No complaints.

The only issue I had were the cases on the "firm" and "soft" pillows were reversed, and there is no full length mirror to be found. The only mirror is in the bathroom. This made getting ready in the morning a little hairy. I'm not taking any stars off for that.

The staff was friendly and helpful.
We had a room right across from the elevator and it wasn't noisy. The hotel was full-up, and I was expecting a busy night. I heard nothing.

I won't hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
New Braunfels, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here 2 nights in late April. There were bus loads of students staying here and that may have had an impact on our opinion. Our room was on the 10th floor and had a nice view. Breakfast was plentiful and typical of this chain. There is a shuttle to Independence Hall, etc. and that is helpful. The walk there is not bad, but is uphill and under a bridge. The down side here is that unless you want Italian food there is no restaurant nearby. We had a pizza delivered one night and skipped dinner the second night. Also, I was never able to get a hot shower or a hot bath. Whether it was 4 in the afternoon or 6 AM the water was lukewarm at best. The people were nice and there is a parking lot. Another thing is that the hotel is located between two very busy roads. Being on the 10th floor, we didn't hear the traffic very much, but if you were on a lower floor it might be a problem.

Room Tip: Ask for one on a high floor.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear flamingomom,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We are very happy to hear that the breakfast was good and you have a view of the river. We apologize for the hot water issues, I will relay this to the engineering department. We hope that in the future you choose to stay with us again.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing? Share your experiences!