“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chifa - CLOSED

Chifa
707 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)
215-925-5555
Cross street: 7th Street
Philadelphia
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Celebrated bday party 6 of us. Service was awesome. Get one of the round booths great time. Every dish we really enjoyed.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia
“A good gluten free option for those who need to avoid it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I'm traveling on business and I have celiac disease so finding restaurants that I can eat at, and eat well at is generally very difficult. However, unlike a lot of cities, Philadelphia has a lot of options for me and Chifa is one of them.

Its a Peruvian/Asian fusion place, which is new to me in general. The host was nice enough to snag me a table despite not having a reservation

The waiter knew what I meant when i said I needed to avoid gluten and they gave me the gluten free menu. I asked him for advice on what was good and he seemed to know the menu very well.

I ordered the mussels in thai curry, and they were excellent; the meat of each mussel was large and perfectly cooked and tasted of basil and curry. For my main course I ordered the lomo saltado with some wok-fired greens on the side. Both were excellent, if a bit plain. I skipped on dessert since the options didn't meat my taste.

I would normally give an experience like this 4 stars, or 3 1/2, but I had a bit of intestinal upset later on that night so I'm not sure if their kitchen handled my food correctly after having them assure me it was fine.

For a non-celiac, go here! The menu and food is great. For those who need to avoid gluten go with caution and question your waiter well.

Visited April 2013
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
“A little disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

A nice dinner out with some friends on a Friday night. None of us had ever been to Chifa, but we thought we would give it a try. My first impression was very nice. Our waitress walked us through the menu and got our drinks while we pondered our options. We all decided to just try the Chef's Tasting Menu - 9 dishes all selected by the chef from different sections of the menu. I was mildly disappointed by several of the dishes. The tuna ceviche and pork bao buns were out of this world, but it went downhill from there. Everyone at the table agreed that many of the dishes were less than impressive (the pork taro puffs, the tamales, and oyster ceviche). The food runners were not fantastic at explaining the dishes as they came out and often mumbled so we couldn't hear them anyway. When the chicken dish came (along with two different sauces on the side), the runner dropped one of the sauces on the table and it flew everywhere, including all over one of my friends. The runner made no effort to apologize and instead left that to our waitress (it wasn't her fault, but she was kind enough to offer my friend a free beer). Dinner concluded, and ended with a nice dessert. Overall, there were far too many disappointments for me to rate this restaurant highly. I really wanted to like it, but it fell short. I would not be unwilling to give it another try, but the first impression was disappointing.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
PA
“One of my favorite Philly Restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is by far one of my favorite restaurants. Their food is excellent and their mixed drinks are also phenomenal. I have been here multiple times.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
delray beach
“A "Must Try" Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Business dinner with colleagues on a rainy Monday night. This place is a gem ! Exceptionally knowledgeable waitress helps us with our "tapas" style meal. Fantastic flavors and most presented in sufficient size to share amongst our table of four. Blue fin tuna in tiger milk was so tender it melted on the tongue. Great fusion of cultures to present an unforgettable experience.

• Visited March 2013