“What a special museum” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: An impressive collection of European art housed in a stately, neoclassical building.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
philadelphia
13 attraction reviews
“What a special museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This museum has some really excellent art from many different periods and styles. We enjoyed the Outsider Art exhibit of largely self-taught American artists and then listened to the great jazz music playing at the bottom of the steps, then on to the European paintings section. It was a great way to retreat from the heat and hectic pace of the busy city.

Visited April 2013

• Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Pennsylvania
37 attraction reviews
“Something for everyone.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I recently took my 11 year old to the art museum. I really wasn't sure what to expect as I had not been there since I was a child. I was pleasantly suprised. Now mind you, I am not an art phanatic by any stretch of the imagination. That being said, I really enjoyed seeing the different collections they had on display. One painting in particular really caught my eye but I don't recall the name (posting a photo). I was surprised to find so much furniture on display but enjoyed that as well. Even my son enjoyed himself. We were there about 1.5 hours and did not see everything there was to offer.

If it is a nice day, you can also go outside and catch beautiful vistas of the city and walk around thr river to take in views of boathouse row.

Visited March 2013
Trier, Germany
“Museum of the next level”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Outstanding collection of Impressionists!
Each moment was unforgetable!
Congratulations to the management for combining Art with new marketing actions for involving new people!

Palos Heights, IL
26 attraction reviews
“Beautiful building filled with artwork, furniture, etc.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I took the Splash, a purple trolley free for seniors and it left me off at the west end - not too many stairs to walk up. When i was inside, I went to the east doorway to view the famous "rocky" stairs that he ran up when he was training as a boxer. I live in Chicago and i feel the Philadelphia Museum of Art has more art displayed.

Miami, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“Because you have to ....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The museum's architecture is stunning and the steps are impressive. There are lots of smaller works by important artists, and for an art history major who wants to see a survey of many works from the same time period, this can be a valuable place to visit. But if you're just a regular tourist who is expecting to see some great (read "recognizable") works of art, you may be a little disappointed. We were surprised that such a large museum in a major US city did not have on display major pieces, a great collection or traveling exhibition on display,