“Underrated!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of United States Mint

United States Mint
151 N. Independence Mall East, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)
215-408-0114
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #52 of 262 Attractions in Philadelphia
Type: Government Buildings, Tours, Cultural
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: As close to the proverbial money-tree as you'll get. The U.S. Mint turns out 1.5 million coins per hour, and you can see how they do it.
Bremerton, Washington
39 attraction reviews
“Underrated!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I think that a lot of people, myself included, came here expecting to spend maybe 30 minutes to an hour inside. However, this place is not to be underestimated. There are so many interesting facts about coinage, and you get to walk around a catwalk to see the entire process. It's quite fascinating how technologically precise the minting process is! Instead of trying to squeeze this into your busy, historical day, save this for when you have more time, or replace one of the other attractions that you care less about, with this one. Also, note that kids seem to really enjoy this place! Did I mention that it's free? This was actually one of my favorite things in Philadelphia, and it's a great way to end a historical day.

Important: Security levels are high here, and they will be very upset if you're taking pictures inside the Mint. I know this from personal experience. ;)

Visited March 2013

Buffalo, New York
“How coins are made !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

While in Jersey a few days early for the Super Bowl we decided to take a day trip to Philly on Friday and are glad we did. My Mom use to work at the Federal Reserve bank when i was young and I was always fascinated when she was allowed to bring her family in for a tour and being able to see pallets upon pallets of paper money stacked up waiting to be destroyed. The mint in Philly is where the coins are made with a "P" mint mark. The mint itself was very accommodating, clean, easy to navigate through and very well marked with many explanations of old artifacts, how the entire process of making a coin is created from start to finish and much more. The gift shop offers many inexpensive souvenirs but also the ability to purchase real money in proof sets or many commemorative coins from special marked events that happened in our country. Overall I am glad we stopped by and would recommend the US mint to anyone who not only likes money (who doesn't) but also might be curious of how the coins are made. And oh yeah it's free too.

Visited February 2014
Austin, Texas
56 attraction reviews
“This can be a quick visit so save it for the end of your day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I enjoyed this visit very much, however, if I could do it again I would save it for the end of the day, because looking back, I realized we probably spent to much time there. The reason I say this is because we went here at the beginning of our day, and we took our time reading everything about the coins and the Mint, but at the end of the day, I wish we would have had more time at the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall instead. All of the historical things in Philly seem to close at 5pm, therefore, if I could do it all over again, I would save the Mint until the very end of the day, to make sure I allowed enough time to take in the historical sites first.

My kids did enjoy seeing the coins get processed and made. Be sure to take your photo ID with you as they check it at the door. They also check your bags and you will go through a metal detector.

Visited October 2013
Bronx, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Can't beat a free tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Self guided tour was very interesting. Contrary to what others have written, the employees I met were nice. We were part of the last group that entered for the day, so a U.S. Mint Police Officer was assigned to the tail end of the group once they closed for the day. The officer, named Shoemaker, was friendly and informative. Even while rushing us out, he would stop at different sections and explain everything. He also answered all our questions. Overall, a cool and quick visit, and another must see if your in the area.

Visited December 2013
Cardiff
153 attraction reviews
“Free Money?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is a wonderful, free, self-guided tour of how coins are made and their history.

We took the train from NYC and a cab to visit this facility with my 12 year-old grandson.

We were all impressed with the history and samples of coins depicted in the gallery, and then being able to see how they were now being made.

The gift shop is a treasure, with rare and unusual coins and historical information.

A visit to get an original Philly cheese steak topped off the trip.

Visited June 2013