“What a lovely Hotel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia

Save Saved
You added Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia to your Saves list
Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Art of Living Well
Ranked #47 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Absecon, New Jersey, United States
“What a lovely Hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were given a TravelZoo stay @ this hotel and had a wonderful experience. We stayed in the executive king which was updated, clean and comfortable. The staff from the time we exited our car until the time we left were exceptional. The front dest staff had all the answers and information I needed for my stay and the Bell service made me feel like they were there just for me. Althought I had read in prior reviews on this site about the small bathrooms, I did not find that to be a problem. It is an older building and these things are to be expected. I could not have asked for a cleaner bathroom.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellen A, Front Office Manager at Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest, I am glad you had a wonderful stay and thank you for your feedback! The staff here has a passion for service and strives to create memorable experiences for their guests. We look forward to having you back again!

828 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Thai first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Location, location and location. This hotel is location in the middle of shopping and restaurants. There is a little bit of a walk for the historic places but if you are in Philadelphia for entertaining that is just a good place.

The hotel itself has not been renovated. It has the old desk bulky furniture like in the 80's or 90's. they even have the boxed tv - I couldn't believe it when I saw it. The room has space and a nice comfortable chair in the corner. The room provides good lighting.

The sink are is separated from the toilet and tub. I don't particular like the Kay out because the tub and toilet and confirmed in a small area with low ceiling. The shower head is amazing though. Not quite sure what's going in with all the low light switches. They are about 3 feet from the ground and I don't even think this was a handicapped room. The bed was lower than normal ( just a few inches) but it was nice ad clean and comfortable. The pillows were nicely placed and seemed either too firm or a little stiff which was not great for my neck.

The staff was very friendly as proofed information about the hotel and are without even asking. That was very nice and thank you. I think the hotel could be a lot better is it refurbished with modern furniture and finishes.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your comments! Our great location is ideal for leisure or business travel and there are many great local restaurants within only a couple blocks. We are looking forward to renovating the hotel in the near future and cannot wait to show off our new look! The team here goes out of their way to ensure that each guest has a positive experience and we hope that we can welcome you back soon!
Matawan, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had a king room, the mattress old being very "bouncy". The room seemed clean, bathroom was extremely small. Our issue was with the Elephant and Castle Pub Restaurant, the hostess waved us over instead of coming to us, sat us right next to another couple, even though there were only 3 tables taken in the entire restaurant...the table was dirty and well as the menu...the waitress seemed like she couldn't wait for closing time! We had a drink and left the hotel to look for other restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellen A, Front Office Manager at Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your candid comments. I will share your feedback with Elephant and Castle so that they know the areas they need they need to focus their training on. I know that first impressions can set the tone for your entire meal or stay and we want our future guests to be greeted with warmness and caring. Hopefully we have the opportunity to welcome you back again!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I read the recent reviews and wonder if they stayed in the same Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia that I did. Check in was a breeze (they let me in the room at 11:30 a.m. which was greatly appreciated!). The room was a standard large city hotel room--a little cramped, not particularly charming--but it was clean and comfortable. The bar downstairs was convenient and the bartender a delight (a British chap). All of the staff members that I interacted with were professional and courteous. I have no complaints. If I could, I would rate it 3.5 stars, because it is better than most 3s and not quite as nice as most 4s. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. The team here has a passion for service and we enjoy assisting each and every one of our guests. We hope to see you back in the future!
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The hotel looks good on the Wed, and of course the Lobby area looks inviting, but once up to the rooms, the hotel needs refurbishing. Check in was uneventful but not quick. The Queen Room was gloomy, bed soft and uncomfortable, pillows ok f you want to sit up in bed and watch TV! Bathroom small adequate, in the King Club room, the basin is outside of the Bathroom and you have to step into the Bath or stand on the toilet to shut the door. We had an upgrade(if you could call it this as they could not locate our 2nd night booking). We could hear the TV and conversations through the thin walls in both rooms.
We went to the Bar in the lobby for a drink and ok, the bar tender was also serving but that was no excuse for her very abrupt unpleasant manner. Breakfast on day one was ok, but on Monday it was not a buffet and we sat for 45 mins waiting for our order and then left as we had tickets for a tour. On the way out we discovered the Chef had walked out 30 minutes previously. If they had told us this it would have been appreciated as we could have gone elsewhere. When we mentioned this to the front desk when we checked out, they were not at all concerned or apologetic. They have Valet parking for $38-42 a night. The area for handling the parking is small and we had to wait 20 minutes for our car and then another 10 in the queue to get out.
Fortunately we did not spend too much time in the hotel.
John at Reception was the only pleasant front desk person I spoke to. Bobby was very helpful about the Bus trip and surrounding areas.
There are numerous hotels in the centre so plenty of choice at similar prices.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ellen A, Front Office Manager at Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your candid feedback and I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Your comments are important to us so that we know where we need to focus our training and attention. I am pleased to hear that John and Bobby provided you with great service and I will share your comments with them! I hope that you will reconsider us in the future and as we move forward with the Sonesta brand we look towards some aesthetic improvements within the hotel. If I can assist in anyway, please feel free to contact me offline.
Brick, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I recently checked into the Sonesta Hotel in Philadelphia only to check out within 2 hours due to an apparent infestation of cockroaches. We spotted a cockroach on the wall in the bathroom. After letting the front desk know we were checking out they did offer us a free stay at their hotel, which I will not be utilizing. My real complaint the lack of customer service and service recovery provided by the Sonesta. Although I received a phone call the following Monday regarding the poor experience, and again offered a free night from the manager, the one item I requested I did not receive. I purchased this hotel stay through Groupon and am unable to receive a refund until I have documentation from the hotel stating we did not stay. I have placed a minimum of three calls to Sonesta requesting this and have not received it to date. Needless to say, I will NEVER stay at a Sonesta property again and be sure to pass the word.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ellen A, Front Office Manager at Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Ms. Sharon S, I sincerely apologize that you did not have a positive experience during your time at the hotel and for the delay in receiving your refund. I have personally contacted Groupon in regards to your refund on January 23rd and look forward to resolving this for you. At your convenience, please contact me at the hotel so that I can update you on the status. In addition, once the front desk was informed of the situation, the room was placed out of order and proactive measures were taken by the hotel to prevent this for our future guests. I hope that I have the opportunity to speak with you regarding your experience.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is an older hotel, but neat and clean and well maintained. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful at all times.. The location was ideal and central to my work assignment. There is plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby and within walking distance, so it was convenient. The executive lounge was a nice perk. The internet worked well and that was important for me as I was working in my room most evenings.

Room Tip: pick rooms away from elevators