“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia

Save Saved
You added Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia to your Saves list
Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
D-ART Into Philly!
Ranked #49 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had a great stay at this Sonesta. It's about midway between the art museum area and the historic area, so in nice weather, you can walk. The hotel is attractive and clean. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We only wish there were safes and mini-fridges in the rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ellen A, Front Office Manager at Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments! Our location is in a prime spot for leisure guests to visit both the historic district and the Art Museum and Rocky steps! Our concierges are here throughout the day to assist our guests in planning out their visit. We hope to welcome you back soon!

804 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Thai first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My stay at this hotel was fairly good. The room was clean and neat and the receptionists were nice and very helpful. One receptionist in particular, Nicholas, was very helpful when booking our room. He was very polite, nice, and friendly! He also helped me book my room for a price that I was told by another phone receptionist would not be possible!! He was the highlight of my stay!! Good customer service goes a long way! In all, we didn't have any issues with our stay ( other than house keeping coming to our room hours before checkout on multiple occasions)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments and I will be sure to pass them on to Nick and the rest of the Front Office team! We work hard to ensure that each guest is satisfied during their stay and enjoy their experience here. I apologize that housekeeping tried to clean your room prior to your departure and I will inform our Director of Housekeeping know so that he can focus on that area with his staff. We hope that when you return to Philadelphia, we have the opportunity to welcome you again!
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My friend and I stayed for one Friday 12/28 night in this lovely hotel!! Everyone was so helpful, cheery and courteous from the valet to front desk staff!!! No interaction with housekeepin but the room was clean and comfortable! I got a TravelZoo deal for $119 which included overnight parking at the hotel! Sweet deal! We stayed in room 2206 which overlooked the outside pool and another building but you still got a decent view of the city I thought. The room was clean and the beds were wicked comfortable too!! The bath towels were great...huge and soft!! (I have to share that cause sometimes you get those generic white ones.) Love the concept of the tub and sink in separate areas so we both could get ready for the night!! I would recommend a vanity mirror be added on the side wall, as the sink mirror is a bit far away to put make up on.
The hotel location was great!!! We walked 15-20mins to my favorite Happy Hour at Sampan (Sansom and So 13th St). I don't mind walking as I LOVE Philly!! I cannot wait to return to this hotel if I can get a deal like this again :-)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your comments and I am pleased that you had an excellent stay! Our staff, from the Front Office to Housekeeping, wants to ensure that each guest has a memorable experience. We pride ourselves on a clean and spotless hotel and our new bedding and pillows make the beds that much more comfortable. We look forward to having you back!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I checked in last night for New Year's Eve expecting a nice hotel. The pictures on the hotel website made the rooms look spacious, modern and comfortable.. These depictions couldn't be further from the truth.. We came into our room and instantly a musty odor permeated our nostrils. The ceiling had stains from water damage that was never painted over. Our room was right next to the elevator and the walls were extremely thin so we heard the elevator going all night and loud drunk people stumbling back to their rooms.. When we asked if we could change rooms further from the elevator they told us nothing was available. The room was tiny and left us feeling claustrophobic. The bed extremely uncomfortable and small, felt like we were sleeping on a wooden board, and they only have two small pillows. My girlfriend and I woke up with backaches. The phone in the room was broken so we had to call the front desk with any requests from our cell phones. Now on to the bathroom.. The toilet was filthy and kept having dirt floating into it from the pluming, the same happened in the shower - when we turned it on dirt floated in from the drain. Overall a horrible experience, I would never spend the money on a hotel like this ever again.

• Stayed January 2013
Ellen A, Front Office Manager at Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest, I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We will review our website to ensure that the correct pictures are associated with the correct rooms as we do have several different room types available. I would like to thank you for your honest feedback as this gives our hotel areas to focus on when inspecting our guest rooms. If I can assist you further with your stay, please feel free to contact me. We do like to meet and exceed the expectations of each of our guests, and I hope that I have the opportunity to turn this stay around for you.
White Plains, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a weekend in Philadelphia. We stayed at the Sonesta on Dec. 21-23, 2012, and loved it. Of course, it's a great location. The hotel apparently is in transition. Sonesta took it over from Crowne Plaza and is renovating the rooms. We did not see an unrenovated room. We had a large, modern room with all the comforts and amenities that we have found in five-star hotels. Our stay was perfect. Every staff person was helpful and courteous. The room was large and clean; the bed was comfortable. It was perfect. We did not have a spectacular view, but that did not matter. I believe that the hotel is on the upswing (based on some past reviews). I'd recommend checking on nearby parking for better rates. The hotel rates are fairly priced, and specials are available. We had free WiFi in the room, which is appreciated. I asked about the unrenovated rooms, and was told at the desk that by the end of 2013, all or most rooms would be renovated. We used the hotel as a weekend get-a-way and loved Philadelphia, the location of the hotel, and the hotel. We will return.

Gerald Stern

Room Tip: Join the Sonesta travel pass club. Ask about a renovated room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ellen A, Front Office Manager at Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and I will be sure to share your comments with the team. We do offer many packages that include parking or breakfast which offer a great value to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Philadelphia!
Copenhagen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Large rooms but nothing out of the ordinary, a little dull interior and just pretty norma all in alll. Good location though and flexibility around check out was appreciated. Friendly luggage carrier. Breakfast was also petty normal, continental but no bagels, just toast bread.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Our staff is one of the top reasons guests decide to stay with us. We work hard to accommodate the needs of each of our guests and it is nice to hear that you enjoyed our service. Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you back in the future!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

So here goes,
I bought a groupon for a one night stay that included valet parking. Seemed like a good deal until we got there. First we get into the room and its pretty dirty, there are stains all over the carpet, a dusty old CRT television, dirty coffee pot blah blah blah. So I call downstairs and they were nice about giving us a new room and $5 for coffee in the morning. So then we get in the room and its exactly the same type of old room. Anyway at this point I'm running out of time to get ready, we had a reservation a Morimotos. My wife comes out of the shower and says come here, well on the wall is a nice big fat cockroach. So much for this hotel, what a nightmare. The front desk gives us a free night, like I would ever come back, and says "well next year we'll be renovating"....Do not go to this place

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for your candid feedback and we are disappointed that this occurred during your stay. Once the Front Desk had been notified about the situation, that room had been placed out of order for treatment and we have taken preventive measures so that this does not happen to future guests. Our team here always wants to make things right for our guests and I hope that you will take advantage of the offer they provided to you and visit us again so that we can show you what a Sonesta experience should be. If you would like to talk to me further, please do not hesitate to contact me offline.