“Great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia

Save Saved
You added Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia to your Saves list
Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Artfully Sonesta
Ranked #46 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
Forest Hills, New York
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The Sonesta is located on Market Street a few blocks from City Hall and the Suburban Railroad station. The room was large and comfortable. It is one of the few hotels I've stayed at that has a restaurant that serves a reasonable priced breakfast. A added surprise: I NEVER had to wait more than 30 seconds for an elevator.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Thai first
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This hotel is a bargain. Very inexpensive, but modern, clean and comfortable. A few blocks away from Rittenhouse square, the train station and walkable distance from the old city and civic center. Excellent service from the lobby staff, but the maid never replace the bath amenities...no shampoo for 5 nights!) and some clothes tags were on the carpet during all our stay. Free wifi and a pub really good! I would come back tomorrow.

• Stayed November 2012
Ellen A, Front Office Manager at Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and I am glad you had a wonderful stay! The hotel does offer a great value to our guests with its central location and accommodating staff. I apologize that your amenities were not replaced and I will inform the Director of Housekeeping so that he can review that with his team. We look forward to having you back!
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Best part of my stay was definitely the comfy & clean bed. Always the most important factor for me. The bathrrom area was nice, updated and clean. The room had all the conveniences I require (coffee, easy to use alarm clock(!), hair dryer, toiletries, a spacious desk with several outlets and a decent channel selection on the tv). There is also a great coffee bar downstairs and very good (casual) restaurant and bar. It is in a great location right in the city close to all the main sites of Phili.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Our new linens and pillows provide our guests with a comfortable bed for a good night sleep. We also offer various amenities in the room for our guests so that they are relaxed while away from home. I am glad you slept well and enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you back!
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This hotel was by far the dullest we stayed in during our trip to the USA. The rooms were small and dark and the breakfast area not much better. In its favour there was a great restaurant attached to the hotel and it was 10 minutes walk from all the sites. The location being the main reason for being there meant we didnt mind the state of the hotel as we werent going to be there very much. The staff here were somewhat under whelming as we had great expectations following our hotel experiences in Washington. This is a good hotel if you want to see the sights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up away from the traffic in the street and you may even get a view instead of th...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just returned from this hotel and i was happy with my stay. Stayed in a room with 2 queen beds. The room was clean and spacious. The decor is slightly dated, with an old TV. However, room had good basic facilities required for a tourist stay. Room included a big desk, coffee machine, iron and board, large wardrobe and comfortable sprung mattress beds. The bathroom was small and the wash basin was outside the main bathroom, but this caused no problem.
The hotel is centrally located and close to all the nightlife, business district and tourist attractions. All within easy walking distance.
During one evening, a heavy winter storm hit. However, we used the pub, "Elephant and Castle" downstairs on the ground floor which had good pub food and drink offers.
Staff were always courteous and efficient. There is also a small coffee shop downstairs if you fancy a pastry and coffee anytime.
There are 4 elevators which are quick and readily available.
The hotel recently been bought by the sonesta chain and is slowly being modernized. However, for £80 a night, i was happy with this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. Floor 8 is where all the functions are held and the hotel was very busy with c...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ellen A, Front Office Manager at Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your review and comments! Our central location downtown does provide our guests with ample restaurant selections and proximity to the historic district. The staff here really do take pride in ensuring each guest has a wonderful stay. We hope that we will see you again in the future!
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

so,this is a tough one. hotel at check in was fast and efficient - we drove a long way in a snow storm, go there and were able to upgrade our room to what the call their "executive suite" - which meant you had a flat screen tv and some updated room amenities. we got into the room and compared to other places we stay in cities would say the room was "adequate" - TV was flat screen, but analog, no room refrigerator <which is usually helpful because of some dietary needs when I travel for several days> which meant I needed a good size ice bucket to keep certain things cold until morning; the room had no way to open window and was very stuffy <read below> - the towels were not luxurious but functional enough, the bathrooms were the tiniest I have been to in a long time <the door just "cleared" the edge of the toilet in swinging open and closed> - the ceiling was low - when I got into bathtub and stretched I hit the ceiling (I am 5'11") - oh yeah - and the phone next to the bed was not working - - ok now onto day 2

I head out from room on Day 2 around 10 am - -get back around 1:30+/- and room has still not been attended - ok fine - so I sit down at desk to do some work and I hear "drip drip drip" - and get up , go to bathroom area - nothing in sink, then turn on light in shower/bath area and I see the "drip drip drip" is coming straight out of the light fixture above the toilet <good thing I left toilet seat open or I might have been wading in some of it>// so I IMMEDIATELY turn off the light as the "light bowl" was literally filled with water, go out to phone and call the desk to report the "WATER PROBLEM" in the bathroom coming through the "ELECTRICAL FIXTURE" - so I wait, and wait - and about 15 minutes later call and say: "DID I MENTION THE WATER WAS DROPPING THROUGH AN ACTIVE LIGHT FIXTURE?".....yes yes - they paged the engineer she should be on her way..... + 5 min: I open the hall door and askthe housekeeper to page the engineer or someone.....ok now +20 minutes I call again - the desk says the engineer is on her way - a few more minutes , and finally a knock on the door - the engineer comes in, looks and then mumbles something and runs out????!!! OK FINE - so I sit there and wait some more - about 10 minutes later engineer reappears with assistant - they unscrew light bowl and dump it out - dripping seems less and then stops - SO, the room above had a leak from the roof (<big snow storm nite before> and engineer tells me that I have option to move rooms - I GUESS SO -

ANYWAY - to shorten this up - they do arrange a similar room on same floor and now I have to REPACK all my bags and materials, get the bell man up to help me move , let my husband know that room has changed and to call me before he returns from meeting -

2 hours later - all set in new room - 2 hours of my life I would not get back

later that night - new room was even "STUFFIER" and warm that night ....if that was possible...
in the wee hours we decided to get up and check the actual wall unit - we opened it up <licky for us?> and took out the filter and the air started flowing better - in the sun, we looked at that filter and were totally grossed out - it was dirty and packed with dust and debris - we stuck our head out in the morning, caught housekeeping on the floor - who put in a nice clean filter - - WTH?! anyone got a maintenance checklist at this hotel????

Plus side :
everyone was very professional, eager to correct the mistakes and front desk offered us some options as comps - we chose some drinks at their bar (reviewed separately)

Hotel is in great location as far as getting around Center city and all it has to offer

So individual staff made up for lack of overall management of the hotel -
there is no excuse for the experience we had - just sloppy engineering/maintenance

Until they get their facility maintenance act together - these "exec rooms" are a $100 value "at best".... not what we paid for them

Room Tip: If you are expecting certain features for a room in this price range - you would do best to check an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I sincerely apologize about the maintenance issues that occurred during your stay. I understand your frustration and our Chief Engineer will be addressing the issues as well as how it was resolved. I hope that you will reconsider us in the future as we make positive changes under the Sonesta Brand.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Very well located downtown and at an affordable rate. Stayed at a more expensive hotel last time i was in town and the Sonesta is just as every bit as good for half the price.

Checkin was a breeze, room is clean and enough space. I dont spend much time in my hotel rooms so all i need is the basics to be good and covered, and they were.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia? Share your experiences!