“Nice convenient place at the center of Philly” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City

You added Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1100 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 25%
Ranked #40 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
NYC
“Nice convenient place at the center of Philly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2006

I booked through Priceline and won a bid of $55 a night.
Located right at the bus terminal it really is a convenient location to everything in Philly. Due to it being at the location of a bus terminal, there are some questionable characters at night who may be hanging outside of the hotel. It wasn't really a problem but something to keep in mind when coming home late at night. Across the street is a Wawa convenience store so late night snacks and drinks are always in reach.
Check in was easy and the concierge was very friendly and helpful. We were even offered cookies in a basket from the restaurant upstairs.
The rooms and bathroom were well sized and clean. The matresses were comfortable and the room smelled of chlorine which wasnt a bad sign. Someone must have cleaned right before we arrived. We had a microwave, fridge, coffee maker and hair dryer.
Overall, we had a nice weekend stay at a clean hotel in a convenient location. I would recommend this place to anyone looking to stay in Philly and to book it through Priceline.

• Liked — Great locations and nice rooms
  • Disliked — Shady characters who hang around the bus terminal at night
  • Tips/Secrets — priceline
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Garden City, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2006

We booked our stay at the Hilton Garden through Priceline (at a bargain rate of $80), so though it's a 3 star hotel, we were not exactly sure what to expect. The lobby staff, front desk, and bellman were fabulous: professional, accomodating, and friendly. The hotel appeared to have been recently renovated, everything seemed new and clean. Our room even had a fridge and microwave, and the bed was very comfortable. My only complaint is with an oversight on the part of housekeeping--our toilet had not been cleaned thoroughly, something we unfortunately did not discover until the morning we checked out. If we had stayed more than one night, I would have complained, and considering the level of service at the HIlton Garden, I'm sure they would have taken care of it immediately.

• Liked — Great Staff, Newly Renovated
  • Disliked — Some Housekeeping Issues
  • Tips/Secrets — Try Priceline for a great deal!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bethpage NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

We always stay in Philly when we take our son back to College. The other couple and us always use Priceline so we get to stay at different 3 star or better hotel. The Hilton was very nice. The rooms were claen and the beds very comfortable. The room was also a nice size with a desk and siiting area. The room also has a refridge and microwave. The 10th grill was nice and had a very good breakfast. I wouldn't mind staying again and I find this hotel to be one of the beeter ones in Philly.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Norfolk, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn from July 28th until August 2nd. I was in town for a convention, the largest crowd the city has seen all year. I don't think the hotel was ready for the amount of people nor was the city itself. We were told by the middle of our stay that many of the local food places had run out of menu items. I stayed at the Marriot Courtyard the day before and the stay was about the same. The MC has card access only and has a really nice gym and pool.

Well, I attempted to do an early check in at 10am on July 28th, I didn't want to get in the room just ensure that I was given the room that I had booked, a double-bed junior suite. I was told that I couldn't get my room but I was assured that I would have it when I came back. The desk agent told me to keep checking back. I came back at 12, still nothing, at 1, still nothing, 2 still nothing. At that time, a mass of people had starting crowding in the lobby. We were all being told that we must wait until official checkin which was 4o'clock. Well at 3:45pm I get in the line and when I made it to the front at 4:30, I was told that the room I booked was no longer available. I was livid. At this point, the asst manager stepped in an pulled a room from somewhere. She said she gave us the last js available. I applaud her effort as by this time the crowd had turned ugly and many awful things were being said.

It took us another hour to find our luggage as the bellman had locked it up and was no where to be found. My roomie tried the lock on the door and it was UNLOCKED!!! I had my laptop and other valuables in there!! We ended up toting our own luggage to our rooms.

We ran out of towels everyday and had to wait until after 10pm to get enough towels for everyone.

On the second night, we discovered that the pull out sofa did not have a mattress at 1am. It took the maintenance man until 2:30am to get up stairs, only to bring the wrong mattress. The night manager offered us another room for the person who was to sleep on the couch. This happened two nights in a row. On the third night, we were finally moved to a room that could accomodate all of us, with sofa bed(that had a mattress).

All and all the rooms were clean. Our AC was broken in the second room, but it wasn't anything that we couldn't handle. The service at the 10th flr Grill was slow, but the food was good. The hotel staff was friendly. The gym is small but clean, so is the pool.

With all the problems we had, the manager discounted our stay. I think the management did the best they could under the circumstances but were under staffed knowing that they were having full hotel.

• Liked — It proximity to the convention center
  • Disliked — The problems we had with our booking
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

The Junior Suite was roomy and nicely decorated. Everyone from the front desk to the restaurant to the bellhops was gracious, helpful and downright friendly. The buffet breakfast was outrageous! All you can eat and omelets, too! I have stayed there several times when I'm in Philadelphia and it's like a home away from home.

Newtown, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

We booked this HGI through priceline for $55. For the price, this is a good, solid choice in downtown Philly. It's built right into the same block as the Reading Market, PA Convention Center and the Septa train station. We were in town to see a show at the Academy of Music. The walk was an easy 6-7 blocks. Even when returning at 10:30pm, we didn't seem the least bit unsafe. Just stick to the main streets.

Hotel lobby is not big or fancy, but efficient. We were given a room with 2 double beds. I had requested a king, but was told they had no more left at 5pm. I thought that was kind of early to be out of king beds, especially when we saw several folks checking in at 10:30pm. It's probably just a priceline thing. Our room was renovated, clean and comfortable. Really no view on our side, just the parking garage and the tops of some skyscrapers. TAKE NOTE, these rooms have both a refrigerator and a microwave, which is very rare these days. If we knew that, definitely would have brought some popcorn.

The restaurant on the 10th floor looked nice overlooking the city, but we did not eat there. The gym/pool were on our floor. Pool looked on the small side. The gym was small, but did have 4-5 cardio machines, free weights and a couple of universal machiners. The parking garage is easy to get to from the lobby. Much to my surprise, I was not charged a parking fee when leaving. Overall, I would be happy to get this room again at $55 a night.

• Liked — location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — line at check-in
  • Tips/Secrets — microwaves and refrigerators in the room
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlantic County NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

I called ahead and was advised parking was $21 for 24hours and you could come and go with that rate. On arrival their garage can only accommodate vehicles 6’3” or less (my vehicle did not fit.) The closest enclosed lot was on the other side of the market and it’s rates were comparable to other lots in the area. No one else had the in/out policy so I spent over $50 in parking for one nights stay. If you are in the garage less than two hours you can purchase any item at the market next door for $10 or more and get your ticket stamped. This will reduce your $23 bill to $2. It only works though if your under a two hour stay.

For the total cost of $74 through [--] (bid your own price) it was a good value compared to similar hotels asking $150 or more (with the same parking fees.) The lobby and room were updated and clean. The location of the hotel was central to museums and front street restaurants. It was also next to the convention center, a large shopping mall. The subway entrance was on the next block.

Check-in service was perfect and the rooms air conditioner had been turned on for our arrival. The bed was comfortable but the pillows slightly uncomfortable. For as nice as this hotel was I was a little surprised about the pillows and the feather/down comforter which didn’t seem to look or feel right. There were no sounds to keep us awake. Our room was on the Market side. We did not eat or stay at the hotel other than to sleep so I do not know how the restaurant was. Try the crepes for breakfast in the market. Excellant!

In summary, I would stay again if there wasn’t a parking issue. It sort of put a damper on the great rate.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City? Share your experiences!