“Loved the location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City

You added Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1100 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 25%
Ranked #40 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
“Loved the location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

I was a bit apprehensive about the hotel due to a couple of negative hotel reviews but I couldn't have been happier. The location is Great - immediately accross the street from the East Market SEPTA stop and regional rail line that I took when I arrived at the Amtrack station at 30th and to depart from the airport. It is also next to the old Reading Railroad building that is now occupied by local food and produce vendors.
The hotel is only 2 short blocks north of Market Street that is the main downtown street. We walked about 5 city blocks to the concentration of historic sites.
Many past reviews are accurate that the neighborhood is not good but that is the only negative about the hotel.
All the hotel employees were friendly and helpful.
A full cook to order breakfast incuding omelets and pancakes and happy hour is available each day on the 10th floor. Hilton Honors Gold and above get free breakfast (regular $16.95) and 1 drink per night.
The hotel was clean and modern.
We really enjoyed Philly, especially Barnes Foundation Museum (1500 impressionist and post impressionist paintings) in Marion, PA and Rodin Museum. The only negative about Phily is the crazy beer laws. Beer is not sold in grocery or convenience stores or liquor stores. I found the Pac A Deli on 12th and Chestnut to buy Yuengling Beer, the oldest brewery in America located in Pottstown, PA
My friend and I were both extremely pleased with the hotel and I would stay in this area and at this Hilton Garden Inn again.
Gary

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Neighborhood
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kent, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

This hotel is very convinent to the train station, literally just around the corner! The staff were also quite good, they checked us in a few hours early and were very helpful!

The 10th Floor Grill is amazing! I recommend everyone to eat here as the food is amazing (especially the Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwiches) and the prices are very reasonable, I cant understand how some people think it was expensive!!

Unfortuanly there were a lot of negatives which made the overall stay here disappointing, there were 3 lifts/elevators but they were extremely slow, at one point I actually had to wait 5minutes for a lift to turn up. Also, the walls were so thin!! You could hear everything that was going on outside you're room, it felt like people were standing outside you're room shouting!!

The room itself (748 i think) was extremely tired and our shower broke as we tried to turn it on! The handle literally fell off in our hands!! The hotel entrance itself is in a dingy tunnel which at night did not seem terribly safe, in fact the whole area did not seem safe at night! I would not recommend female travellers to walk alone at night! Also, do not walk down Arch Street, it seemed very rundown and possibly not the safest of routes! I'd advise everyone to turn right as they leave the hotel and walk down Market Street to get to the touristy parts, there were more people around and as it was the main street it felt safer.

In my opinion, do not use this hotel and maybe try and find one more centralised

• Liked — 10th Floor Grill
  • Disliked — The lifts, the rooms, the location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

We arrived around 1:00PM before check in time at 4:00PM. Fortunately the front desk staff allowed us to check in early which was very nice. We went to Philly because we want to see Celine Dion concert on September 5th at Wachovia Center.
One of the reason we decide to stay at Hilton Garden Inn because of price is cheaper than the Holiday Inn near the Wachovia Center. We rode subway to go to concert which was not far from hotel. The subway station is just one block from the hotel.
The location is very decent. It's within walking distance to Independence Hall, Love Park, Terminal Market, Philadelphia Chinatown and shopping area.
The room and bathroom are nice and clean, especially the mattress. It's so comfy. Each room has a flat screen TV, microwave, coffee-maker, iron board and hair-dryer in bathroom.
We did not have any problem at all with parking garage in the hotel and cost us $26.25 for 24 hours. I think that's a fair deal.
We had good fresh breakfast buffet on tenth floor with a nice view of the city. The breakfast was cost around $18.14 per person included tax. The chef and server were really nice.
Overall, we loved our staying and we will certainly come back.

• Liked — Fantastic Location & great price.
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

I won this hotel on Priceline and was very satisfied with my stay. When the front desk clerk saw my two young children, he immediately gave us a free upgrade to a room on the same floor as the pool. The rooms were clean and spacious with two large plasma televisions and a very comfortable bed. We thought the location was fantastic. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Newtown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Booked the hotel via Hotwire 2 weeks in advance for my birthday. My boyfriend and I waited 45 minutes to check in, no apologise were given. We were woken up by a staff member at 2am, who brought us the towels we asked for hours earlier. When we returned home, I discovered that I had been charged twice for the room, in addition to a 50 dollar charge for overnight parking and 2 soda's and had the negative checking account balance to show for it. I called and asked immediately when I discovered the charges, was put on hold, and was then told I'd get a call back. Never happened. Several phone calls (spoke with 4 different people) later problem still hasn't been resolved and I was not compensated in any way.

Stayed August 2008
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

Booked the hotel because of the location and some good reviews it had but was very disappointed, where to start:

Location: very bad area, after dark street fills with vagrants and homeless people felt very unsafe to walk around, also hotel front looks like a nail parlor!

Rooms: were pretty large by city center standard but are old and in need of a desperate makeover, walls very thin heard a lot of noise from the hallway through half of the night. bed ok.

Food: on the 10th floor grill was pretty decent but very expensive

Parking: a joke! charge an arm and a leg, parking lot shared by other establishment, had problems with the automatic gate and we had to wait 20 minutes for someone to come so we could get to our car!

Service: terrible and incomptent!! had some terrible run inns with the front desk staff, was mislead and sent on a wild goose chase to search for a bank that didnt exist and when came back and complained the desk manager said i was pretty sure the bank was there....
when complained to manager he didnt even bother to respond to the email.

in conclusion,
dont stay there! the location next to convention center isnt worth it look for a diffrent hotel

• Liked — Nothing!!!!
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

This hotel is pretty much what you would expect fom a chain of hotel like this. Its pretty generic! I wasn't overly impressed by the hotel to be honest. The only good points about the hotel was that we were able to check in earlier than the 4pm check in time, the beds were really comfy and their restaurant, the 10th floor grill, served really good food!

On the negative side is the fact that the hotel is in a pretty rough part of Philadelphia. I wouldn't want to be walking around after dark! Its about a 20-30 minute walk to the main historical sites such as Independence Hall and Liberty Bell centre. Even though the hotel is listed as being on Arch street I wouldn't recommend walking down Arch Street to get to the touristy parts as both myself and my sister felt a bit intimidated walking down there! I would recommend walking down Market Street which is parallel to Arch street, it's much busier!

The room itself was fine. I somehow manged to pull the shower tap off the wall by just turning it on (clearly I underestimate my own strength!) but an engineer came and replaced it more or less straight away! It could be pretty noisy at times, mainly when people were walking down the corridoor at night and early in the morning! Just an ok hotel.

• Liked — the comfy beds and 10th floor grill
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City? Share your experiences!