“Not the greatest.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City

You added Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1100 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 25%
Ranked #40 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Sydney
“Not the greatest.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I chose the Hilton Garden Inn in Philadelphia for our three night stay due to the reviews on Trip Adviser and the location of the hotel.

I have to say that I was VERY disappointed. My disappointment was due to the uncomfortable bed, lack of housekeeping and noise around the hotel.

Pro's
* Good TV with many channels
* Fridge and Microwave in room
* Good size room
* Location for us was good although I understand the area is not desirable.
* Fast Wi Fi
* Good shower

Con's
* The noise around the hotel was terrible. There seemed to be constant noise in the hotel including early hours of the morning (4.00am)
* The bed was very uncomfortable - the worst i have ever slept in and we have traveled a lot.
* Room as very hot - They did have air con but the unit was very noisey
* My biggest complaint was the housekeeping. On our first day we returned to our room at 6.00 pm to find our room had not been cleaned. After many attempts of calling guest help ( first 5 times no one answered) I had to ask them to bring fresh towels. The next day we returned at 3.30pm and our room was currently being cleaned.
The hand towels they left in the room were dirty.
* 4 pm check in

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HGIPhillyGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your in room amenities and our location was convenient for your activities while visiting Philadelphia. I understand that you encountered an issue with housekeeping during your stay and I sincerely apologize for this. Consistency in cleanliness is an area that we are very vigilant in to ensure comfort and satisfaction for our guests. I'm so sorry that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping staff to ensure this does not happen again. I hope that if you travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again so that we may show you the quality service and stay you expect from our brand.

Thank you again, I appreciate your honest feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Our weekend in Philly was unpleasant because of this hotel choice. I have never called security in a hotel before but I had to call them two nights in a row. This hotel seems to attract the kind of riff-raff who lack manners. People screaming in the hallway, slamming doors, smashing glasses are examples of what we heard. It was 4 am and the hotel security still had not been able to get control of the situation. When we checked in we were not offered the complimentary breakfast coupons usually given to Hilton Honors Gold members. I had to ask about them and then they were offered. Our pre-arrival requests were not honored. And this may seem petty, but after so many screw ups, I started noticing things like the fact that they did not seem to know the difference between a dinner fork and a salad fork. The coffee pot in the room did not work! To be fair, the manager did offer extra reward points to compensate but nothing could repair the two night's sleep that we missed because of all the rowdy activity in the surrounding rooms. I think the walls must be paper thin in this place. We were tired and did not enjoy the activities that we came to this city to enjoy. We would never stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HGIPhillyGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Philadelphia. I’m so sorry for the noise issues you experienced during your stay. We work diligently with our staff to ensure each of our guests are respectful of others, while still enjoying their stay. We regret you were disturbed by other guests and that our security team was not able to adequately control the disruption. We know how important a good night’s rest is while traveling and your comments have been shared with our security team to reiterate their important role. We hope you will give us another chance to show you the quality stay you deserve the next time you are in the area. We are eager to make your stay with us the best hotel experience you’ve ever had.
Belleplain, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We picked this hotel because of the close proximity to the convention center. Rooms were perfect just for the little time we were in there. Good housekeeping, plenty of clean towels for three patrons. It is next to the Reading Terminal Market and across from a Wawa so I could grab coffee before meetings. Would stay again but wish they would be more secure with who goes in and out! Attentive floor staff for directions and holding luggage until convention over.

Room Tip: If you are at the convention center, don't pay for a pricey room. You just need a place for your...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Metro Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My sister, a friend and myself stayed here for a convention. After reading other reviews here, I was nervous about staying here because of the area that it's in. But it's a nice hotel, don't be deceived by the outside or the area that it's in. We never felt uncomfortable. We had a Jr. suite and it was roomy enough for the three of us, our luggage and the stuff we accumulated at the convention (which was a lot!). Nice decor inside. Staff was very helpful with extra towels, blankets, directions, restaurant recommendations, etc. The down side for me was that there was no valet parking and the hotel parking is shared with the convention center, (which is just steps away by the way). We drove in, so we had to park in the structure, take the elevator down to the hotel lobby, check in, then go back to our car for our luggage. Then did the reverse when checking out. Big Hint: if you are driving, go to the 4th or even 5th level for Hilton Garden parking. Just steps away from the Reading Terminal Market. We were on the 9th floor and had a very nice view of the city.

Room Tip: Higher floor, away from the elevator, with a view of the city. Parking garage hint: park on the 4th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Methuen, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

For those who don't have time to read a whole review the answer to the all important "would I stay there again" question is :yes.

Overall the hotel was great, conveniently located at the convention center and just a few minutes walk from most of the historical sights as well as plenty of restaurants. Hotel and rooms were clean and the beds had a form of select comfort technology that let you adjust the firmness of the bed, very nice!

Bathroom was average, hot water didn't get as hot as you would expect but it was hot enough. Free wifi was fast and usable.

PROBLEM: I left my key in my room and went to the front desk to get another one. The girl asked me for my room number and gave me a new key, no questions asked. Didn't ask me for my name or any id to actually prove that I was staying there and that that was my room. Major problem in my book, it's not exactly comforting to know anyone could have access to your room when your not there.

Except for that my 2 night stay was comfy and I would stay there again if the price was right (booked on Priceline for well below going night rate)

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I've stayed here multiple times - it really does have an awesome location (right nextto the Reading Terminal and the Convention Center) - all of Center City is walkable from here. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Fleming Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My friend made a reservation for me at this particular location. The hotel is in a great location. Prior to coming to Philidelphia, I contacted the hotel to find out some information about transportation to the hotel from the airport. The young lady who I spoke with was very rude and lacking customer service skills. I called right back and spoke to Jacqueline, a manager at the hotel. Jacqueline smoothed everything over beautifully. When I got to the hotel I introduced myself and thanked her. The room, which I shared with a friend, was large, clean and comfortable. The hotel is quite sound proof. I did not hear any sounds of the city on the 8th floor. We had two double beds in our room and plenty of space to roam around. There was a small refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, and plenty of storage area. The only thing I would complain about is that the hotel and only the hotel lost power just as we were getting ready to attend a wedding. The power went off during late afternoon on a Saturday...not good. Lastly, Saturday afternoon, I walked downstairs to make a wakeup call for the nexst day and I was assured that it was taken care of. Later that night, I called the front desk to make sure that the wakeup call was registered and it was not. I am lucky I called to check! The hotel is right next door to the Reading Terminal Market...FANTASTIC! Great hotel, great location, good price!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City? Share your experiences!