“Treated like royalty” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel

You added Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel to your Saves list
Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 South 17th Street, (City Center West), Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive 15% Discount!
Ranked #8 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Oregon
“Treated like royalty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2004

We had been looking forward to our stay at the Sofitel. When we got there, they did not have our two rooms, but did they ever make it up to us. Never have we been treated more fairly. They put us up one block down the street, gave us free parking, and paid for all three nights in our alternative lodging, which was very nice! Two rooms! Cocktails while we waited for our luggage to be sent to the alternate hotel, and the most gracious people we could imagine. We're looking forward to actually being able to stay with them on our next visit, given our wonderful treatment. It turned out Philly was free!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2004

Spent Labor Day weekend at the Sofitel Philadelphia and was again impressed with how Sofitel staff members knock themselves out to make guests comfortable. Service was top-notch; the accomodations are exceedingly comfortable and the decor is unique and very pleasant. The cocktails in the bar are a touch steep, but it's a very pleasant space and the small food menu is fairly priced and excellent. Hotel is in a convenient location (very central) and is an excellent choice for a plush getaway at a reasonable price.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2004

My boyfriend and I recently visited the Sofitel. I found the room to be very nice, and exceptionally clean. I really liked the unique look of the room. We got room service twice during our stay, and I was impressed with the food as well as the service. Both times we got room service they told us that it would take about 25 minutes, and both times it only took about 15. Everyone was very friendly and ready to please. I thought the bathroom was very nice and spacious. I thought that the bed was nice (but I am rather low maintenance, so bed sheets are not a big concern to me). I thought the room was great for my boyfriend and I, but I probably would not recommend the hotel for a family stay. Overall, I really enjoyed the Sofitel and I would definately go back again, and I would highly recommend it.

Lambertville, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2004

We spent a couple of nights here in August and paid $280 for 2 nights including parking (gophila Web site). I can't say enough about the staff. Extremely friendly and courteous,(actually, everyone we met in Philly was wonderful, very sophisticated, but not a lot of attitude, unlike NYC) . The Jr. suite was large and tastefully decorated. A caveat - while there are French doors separating the living room from the bedroom, even at the lowest level I could hear the TV in the other room. Not a big deal, and otherwise it was a very quiet room.

Great location, you can throw a rock and hit Rittenhouse Square. A lot of great restaurants in the neighborhood (try the Sansom Street Oyster House, great prices and the oysters taste like the oyster guy just backed his boat up to the building - fresh, fresh, fresh).

Easy walk to the museums and the local architecture is incredible. There's a certain chill you get when you see a little carriage post that Ben Franklin or Thomas Jefferson might have tied up to. Philly is an absolutely under-rated getaway spot...

Be careful of the bar at the Sofitel, $45 for three drinks in an undistinguished space. But, as always, at the Sofitel, the staff was wonderful.

Echoing the other reviewers, the linens are pedesterian, the bathtub and separate shower were nice, but the bathtub definitely didn't fit 2 people. The room was large and clean and the amenities were wonderful (Roger & Gallet Paris, we swiped every one we could get our hands on).

Good hotel, not great. I'll go back if I can get a good deal. At $140 a night it's OK, at standard rack rate ($289/night) I would probably have some coronary problems.

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2004

Booked a night at this hotel based on reviews from this site and was very pleased. Service was prompt and excellent during entire stay. Location is excellent for Center City, however next time we will stay in Old City (loved that area!)

A few days before arriving, call concierge to make dinner reservations and also request any room ending in 01 (example 1101), these are larger of the standard rooms and are corner rooms, so you have two walls of windows. I really liked the room. And, yes, the sheets aren't so great and pillows are way to small.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2004

Ok, maybe I have become jaded by staying in the ultra-hip luxury of hotels in Miami...

I found the Sofitel to be an "ok" hotel but nothing spectacular. Granted, if you are looking for chic and comfy, there are slim pickings in Philly. Although the city has improved in many ways over the past few years, the hotels in the city still have a long way to go.

The Sofitel was clean. It is in a good area. The check-in and valet service was quick. Although, at $28, the valet is pricey and as noted earlier here there really are not any other viable parking options for this hotel. The room was a bit small but it was quiet. The linens were far from luxurious and less than I expected based on other reviews.

I did not like the fact that there was not a coffee maker in the room. My husband had to go all the way downstairs to the hotel's restaurant to get us coffee in the morning. I suppose that is my only complaint.

We paid $138 directly through the hotel's website. I don’t think the room was worth anything more than that.

We've stayed at several hotels in Philly. Although the Sofitel was one of the better hotels we've stayed in while in Philadelphia that is not saying much since none of the hotels in Philly have been really great.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2004

Great hotel! I'm a travel agent and I stay at Sofitel in every city if possible. The staff is excellent, the rooms are in beautiful condition and the hotel is in a great location (the bathrooms! the showerheads! incredible!) Everyone from the concierge to the parking attendant was wonderful and very helpful. Wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Been to Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel? Share your experiences!