“Place your valuables in a safe, my items went missing and I wish I had” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel to your Saves list
Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 South 17th Street, (City Center West), Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive 15% Discount!
Ranked #10 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Place your valuables in a safe, my items went missing and I wish I had”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I travel for work and spend roughly 200 nights a year in hotels (over 500 nights in the last 3 years). I typically stay at Starwood or Marriott properties and this was my first time staying at a Sofitel property. I have never had anything missing from my hotel room before, and I am sorry to say that when I returned to my room after work one night I found some of my prescription pills missing. Luckily it wasn't a life threatening situation. Please beware aware if you stay here to stash away your valuables/non-valuables they may end up missing.

Fyi, I did report this to the hotels management and they had security check to see who had been in my room and they did apologize. They did seem to take it seriously which I appreciated however they never followed up with me, and so I assume any conclusion as to the location of the missing medicine was closed with no conclusion.

Well I wish the person took my vitamins which were sitting next right next to the pills on the desk...travelers beware safegaurd your items.

I just read a horror story below where someone was robbed on their wedding night...verified dump.

Room Tip: Don't leave anything remotely valuable out...including socks...they will rob you here.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Jensen J,

Thank you for your feedback as it assists us in taking the steps needed to investigate your incident. We take the safety of our guests and their belongings very seriously. I would very much like the opportunity to resolve this issue and to discuss your experience with you. Please contact me directly so that we are able to provide proper follow up.

Vincent Vienne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was a very nice experience for me. I stayed here on business and would definitely come back. The room was big and the bed extra comfortable. Huge bathroom and it was extremely clean and updated. Breakfast was great and the service overall was outstanding.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear ansdcb,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Philadelphia for your recent business trip. I am very glad that our rooms provided a comfortable stay and that you enjoyed our breakfast in Chez Colette. We would love to welcome you back again to enjoy our lunch and dinner menus as well.

nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

always enjoy staying at the Sofitel in Philly.. rooms are comfy , clean and bathrooms are large with tubs and separate shower stalls.. Service is always good and attentive. Good bar in the lobby, but many venues to choose from since you are 1-2 blocks from rittenhouse square..which means you are a stones throw from some great restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. Philly is a very walkable city...I walked to the convention center no problems..but cabs are plentiful and fairly reasonble price wise...cant go wrong with sofitel....the only ripoff is there valet parking...at 41 dollars, park yourself at the many garages and lots for less.. I scored a 20 per day rate a block or two away...1/2 the price...check out federal donuts across the street while you are there..

Room Tip: select south facing rooms..otherwise views are of buildings and limited sunshine..
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear pard76,

Thank you for being a loyal guest of Sofitel Philadelphia! I am delighted that you have the opportunity to stay with us regularly when in town for a convention. I am very glad that our great location and attentive ambassadors are always able to make your stay memorable. I’m also glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of one of the local self-park garages in the area as valet parking at the hotel may not be for everyone. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the near future.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The Sofitel is often my digs while I am in Philadelphia for meetings.

Check-in and check-out is quick. The bed is very comfortable; there is a Bose stereo to help you wake up. The TV is a little slow to respond when you're changing channels, but it does have a flat screen that provides a nice picture. The WiFi Internet access is very usable - not slow. The bathroom is very nice, with great water pressure in the shower. The hotel provides L'Occitane shampoo, body wash, etc.

The bartender at the bar in the lobby makes a wonderful ginger ale. There is a good assortment of other beverages available also.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear maverickflyer,

Thank you for being a loyal guest to Sofitel. I am very happy to hear that we have become your go to hotel when visiting Philadelphia. I am delighted that our amenities and bartender’s specialties make your stays memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back many more times as your home away from home.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The rooms are comfortable and spacious, the restroom was huge (as compared to other hotels). The beds are super duper comfortable, I'd say better than any of the other 5 star hotels I've stayed at. The Sofitel was just fabulous, HOWEVER, the area around this hotel was suspicious to my friend and I.
When we went to valet our car at night, a man just came up to the window (we had no idea if he worked there or not because he did not have a uniform or a name tag)...we gave him our keys and crossed our fingers that he was the valet guy. (Thankfully he worked there! haha) After 8 hours of traveling, we didn't ask too many questions. Upon check in, the receptionist told us that we were in the "French quarters", the BEST area...and goes on to say, "but a guy was stabbed about a block away last week". Our jaws dropped!! My friend and I walked across the street for a nice dinner our second night in town in our dresses and high heels at "Davios". A strange man asked us if our boyfriends were around, I lied and said Yes! He said, "Good, you can't be walking around this neighborhood alone". *gasp*
In summary, my friend and I enjoyed our stay at the hotel but just beware of your surroundings when you're here. Unfortunately for us, we did not feel safe going out at night in Philadelphia! - at least not just us two girls alone. Thankfully we picked a nice hotel to stay indoors.
Our trip was literally like "I AM LEGEND", we went out during daylight to see all the touristy attractions and literally RAN back to the hotel before it got too dark! BEWARE people.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear CakesALot,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your recent trip to Philadelphia. I am delighted that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and unique So-Beds even more than any at a 5 star hotel. Being located in the heart of a major urban city, we do recommend our guests to be aware of their surroundings like in any other city. Although, we are fortunate to be located in Rittenhouse Square which is known as the nicest part of the city. Our concierge is also always able to assist in guiding guests where to go when leaving the hotel and exploring the city. We hope to welcome you and your friend back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the future for a stay that provides you with a more secure and relaxed feeling.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I will start with the bed is so soft and out of this world. The shower is inclosed in glass and there is a separate tub. The room service is excellent. Last time I stayed the food was warmer on delivery than this time but I ordered late so that may be why. Anyways, the people who valet park your car are beyond friendly, even my friend couldn't believe/commented on how nice they were to her. I switched my corner room this time because it had a different decor and had more of an office feel to it. The manager, I believe her name is Susan, looked up where I had stayed a few months before and gave me a similar room that fit my style/preference more. They light candles in the lobby at night and it's also in a perfect location near Rittenhouse Square. I stayed here in the past and have stayed in many others but this one is classy, comfortable, and totally worth it. My friend from NY wants to stay there every time we go and my other friend that lives there is taking her girlfriend for the bed. :)

Room Tip: The corner rooms feel more office like so just depends on personal preference. I wanted to see an a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Cher aymami21,

Bonjour!

Thank you for your detailed review of Sofitel Philadelphia! I am delighted that we are named your favorite hotel in Philly. I am very glad that you and your friends enjoy unique So-Beds and that our ambassadors always make your stays memorable. We look forward to welcoming both you and your friends back again for many more great trips.

Baltimore, Maryland, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

For the money, I haven't stayed anywhere as nice. Sofitel goes out of their way to make their guests comfortable and to feel welcome. When I travel, I look for a Sofitel hotel first. Their clean well appointed rooms, modern amenities and fabulous dining make them a staple in all of my travel plans.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Been to Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel? Share your experiences!