“When we go to Philly, this is where we stay every time!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel to your Saves list
Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 South 17th Street, (City Center West), Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Exclusive 15% Discount!
Ranked #8 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, New Hampshire
“When we go to Philly, this is where we stay every time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Everything about this hotel is GREAT. It is in the perfect location, the staff is amazing, the rooms are clean and we love staying here.....5 years in a row!

Easy walk to the trains, great restaurants, nightlife and shopping.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that we have become your choice hotel when visiting Philadelphia. We are very pleased that you enjoy our rooms, great downtown location with all it has to offer, and that our staff is able to make your stays with us memorable. We look forward to continuing to welcome you back to Sofitel Philadelphia for another 5 years in a row.

1,753 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at Sofitel for the weekend of Navy vs Army. At the time, it was the cheapest 4-5 star property I can find. The hotel was an easy 5 minute walk from Suburban station where AirTrain (possibility one of the cheapest and the most convenient way to get into the city center from the airport) dropped me off.

The hotel offers free daily Wifi, but my LTE was faster on the phone, so I never really used their Wifi. The room did provide Ethernet cable for those with a laptop, but I hardly ever travel with one even on business, so I can't comment much on the speed of the service.

I had a regular one king room, the bed and pillows were super comfortable. The bathroom was large and equipped with Hermès amenities at the time, including a nice hair dryer, cotton swap, nail filer, needles and thread, shower cap...etc. There are coat brush, iron, and slippers provided which was a nice touch.

The location of the property was perfect. It puts you right smack in the middle of the city. I walked to the Independence Mall and Old City area no sweat through lots of attractions such as Reading Terminal Mall and Chinatown. I also walked from Chester down 9th street through the Italian Market and compared Geno's and Pat's. A walk up to the City Hall, Love Park Christmas Village along Benjamin Franklin Parkway though Comcast Center to the Philadelphia Museum of Art was also a breeze. The hotel was also close to a CVS which made daily drink purchases simpler. To the southwest, you get Rittenhouse Square, which made more leisure walking possible.

In Philadelphia city center, I suppose the hotel charges two taxes, one of the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Especially coming from a city where we are used to a ridiculous amount of taxes. So please know that you will be charge a 7% tax plus an 8.2% city tax. So be prepared for paying about almost 15% just in taxes. for me that's over 200 dollars for 3 nights just in taxes. It's ridiculous yes, but I guess you can't argue much with uncle Sam.

During our stay, a false fire alarm went off at 1am, we were all outside of the hotel in the cold and rain for about an hour, the hotel did verbally apologize for this, but no physical apologies or deduction to our room-rate. I expected some discount for being woken in the middle of the night standing in the rain in my PJs for an hour. But none was given. Which left a negative mark in my experience.

Overall, next business trip to Philadelphia, I may try AKA Rittenhouse Square down the street. As for Sofitel, I think it is extremely overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. Excellence is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provides a memorable experience to our valued guests. We are sorry to learn of your experience with the fire alarm and do want to relay that our Engineering team does work hard to prevent incidences as often as possible. We do take our guests’ safety very seriously and do all we can to keep our security procedures as up to date as possible. We also understand that Philadelphia taxes are a bit higher than other cities’ being at 15.2% for all Philadelphia hotels and appreciate your understanding. We are delighted that you choose to stay with us while visiting for the Army Navy football game. And that you enjoyed our rooms, unique So-Beds, large bathrooms, Hermes products and other amenities. We are also very glad to hear that our location was convenient for you and that you had the opportunity to explore our great downtown area and all it has to offer. We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Philadelphia in the future and to provide you with a more positive experience.

Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed two nights at the Sofitel in Philadelphia in early December - this was my third time to stay at this lovely hotel. I simply would not want to stay anywhere else when visiting Philadelphia. The hotel is beautiful, in a fabulous location but, most importantly - the staff at this hotel, from the front door to the front desk to the housekeeping staff to the restaurant/bar staff -- are all ultimate professionals who know how to make you feel very, very special. I always feel so pampered when I stay at the Sofitel and highly recommend it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that we have become a favorite hotel of yours when staying in Philadelphia and that our staff has been able to make your stays with us very memorable. We are very pleased that you enjoy our great downtown location and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the near future.

New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Sofitel is centrally located approximately two blocks from Rittenhouse Square. The ADA accessible junior suite was comprised of a large bedroom and separate sitting area. Total living space was 400 square feet. The bedroom was furnished with a king bed, wall mounted night stands, chair and a large flat panel TV was affixed to the wall. The bed was outfitted with quality linens and the pillows were especially comfortable. The large bathroom had a single basin vanity and walk in shower. A complete range of Hermes toiletries was provided. Bath linens were of premium quality.
The sitting area was furnished with a couch, coffee table, large desk with chair, occasion chair and credenza with a large flat panel TV on top. The contemporary décor was finished with a large checkered pattern soft gold colored wall paper. The furnishings showed some nicks, dings and signs of wear and tear. The foyer wall was fixtured with built in closet and armoire. There was more than ample storage space. A Keurig single service coffee maker and complimentary bottled water were provided. The rate for the Saturday night stay was $253.44 inclusive of taxes and fees. Valet parking was $40.00
The hotel has limited common areas. A cocktail lounge is located in the lobby across from the front desk. Complimentary coffee and tea are served just off the lobby in the morning. The restaurant’s dining facility is a French bistro, Chez Collette. An ala carte menu and a buffet provided the morning fare. I booked a special breakfast rate of $17.00 per person when making the reservation; however, after considerable dialogue with the desk clerk concerning whether or not we dined at the buffet (which we did) or ala carte, that rate was voided and replaced with a charge of $47.33. I didn’t notice this until after we left. I don’t know if this was due to incompetence or pettiness; however, it left me with a negative impression. It secured the hotel a spot on the “never repeat stay” list! Service in the restaurant was polarized. The waiter could not have been more professional, attentive and pleasant. The cook at the buffet omelet station came with serious attitude.
Cochon in Queen Village is a quality dining option.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed comments concerning your stay at the Sofitel Philadelphia. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the Hermes amenities we provide, location and your interactions with the breakfast waiter!
We strive for all of our guests to have a great experience when staying with us, I am sorry for the confusion with billing and your experience with the omelet cook. If your concerns with billing were not resolved to your satisfaction, please reach out to me directly. I look forward to the opportunity to do better next time.

Sincere Regards,

PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here for our anniversary and had a great experience. We were upgraded and given a junior suite which was very spacious and clean. The bathroom was large with a separate tub and great amenities. The living space was large, but my only complaint is that the decor (i.e. furniture) was very dated and was in dire need of some TLC.

Overall though, a great stay for the price and couldn’t have asked for a better hotel and staff.

Room Tip: High floor reccomended as the noise form a wedding or event could even be heard from our 12th floor...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you choose us to celebrate your anniversary with us and that our staff was able to make your stay memorable. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our large Junior Suite, large bathroom with separate tub, and our luxury bath amenities. Your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to constantly improve our hotel. We are looking forward to room upgrades which are due in the very near future. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia in the future to enjoy our new room upgrades.

Alexandria, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed there for one night, I shared a room with a friend, and it was luxurious, 2 big beds,and the bathroom is big with a shower cabinet and a bathtub. The room has a cool TV, with a nice window viewing tall building of Philly, good view to wake up to!

I advise you to eat at the french restaurant of the hotel, deliciousness.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you and your friend had such a great stay with us. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our large rooms and bathrooms, amenities, view of downtown, our French inspired fair in Liberte, and that our staff was able to make your stay luxurious and memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the future.

Westport, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The rooms are amazingly beautiful, cozy, elaborately decorated and tastefully appointed in a contemporary/modern design. I am not easily impressed but this was as nice as any hotel I've been to in recent memory and I was indeed impressed. The bathroom was elegant, spacious and very well lit. The room had many options for lighting from business bright to mood casual. My room was exceptionally clean and in like new condition. The bed was very comfortable with real down/feather pillows which I prefer. Overall I just can not say enough good things about this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful as well. I stayed for business so I can not actually recall what it cost because I just expensed it, but I don't think it was extraordinarily expensive if I recall correctly. Two thumbs up big for this hotel! Go there, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you had such a pleasant stay with us and that you were impressed with our modern yet cozy design. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our spacious room and bathrooms, unique So-Bed and bedding, and that our staff was able to make your stay with us a memorable one. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the future.

Vincent Vienne

Been to Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel? Share your experiences!