“Great location and stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel to your Saves list
Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 South 17th Street, (City Center West), Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Exclusive 15% Discount!
Ranked #7 of 83 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
PA
“Great location and stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here for our anniversary and had a great experience. We were upgraded and given a junior suite which was very spacious and clean. The bathroom was large with a separate tub and great amenities. The living space was large, but my only complaint is that the decor (i.e. furniture) was very dated and was in dire need of some TLC.

Overall though, a great stay for the price and couldn’t have asked for a better hotel and staff.

Room Tip: High floor reccomended as the noise form a wedding or event could even be heard from our 12th floor...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you choose us to celebrate your anniversary with us and that our staff was able to make your stay memorable. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our large Junior Suite, large bathroom with separate tub, and our luxury bath amenities. Your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to constantly improve our hotel. We are looking forward to room upgrades which are due in the very near future. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia in the future to enjoy our new room upgrades.

1,738 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Alexandria, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed there for one night, I shared a room with a friend, and it was luxurious, 2 big beds,and the bathroom is big with a shower cabinet and a bathtub. The room has a cool TV, with a nice window viewing tall building of Philly, good view to wake up to!

I advise you to eat at the french restaurant of the hotel, deliciousness.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you and your friend had such a great stay with us. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our large rooms and bathrooms, amenities, view of downtown, our French inspired fair in Liberte, and that our staff was able to make your stay luxurious and memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the future.

Westport, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The rooms are amazingly beautiful, cozy, elaborately decorated and tastefully appointed in a contemporary/modern design. I am not easily impressed but this was as nice as any hotel I've been to in recent memory and I was indeed impressed. The bathroom was elegant, spacious and very well lit. The room had many options for lighting from business bright to mood casual. My room was exceptionally clean and in like new condition. The bed was very comfortable with real down/feather pillows which I prefer. Overall I just can not say enough good things about this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful as well. I stayed for business so I can not actually recall what it cost because I just expensed it, but I don't think it was extraordinarily expensive if I recall correctly. Two thumbs up big for this hotel! Go there, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you had such a pleasant stay with us and that you were impressed with our modern yet cozy design. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our spacious room and bathrooms, unique So-Bed and bedding, and that our staff was able to make your stay with us a memorable one. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the future.

Aarau, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I really enjoyed everything about my recent stay in the sofitel hotel. The employees were very friendly and helpful. My room was large and clean. A great choice, if you're looking for a place to stay in Philadelphia.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you had such a great stay with us during your trip. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our large rooms and that our staff was able to make your stay memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the future.

Hamilton, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is hands down the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in in Philly, perhaps even anywhere when you take into account the cleanliness, staff attention, etc. This is an immaculately clean hotel, there are awesome amenities in your room (including a keurig coffee maker!!) and an incredibly helpful staff. The hotel has a great location as well - I was able to walk to all of my business appointments and to an event at the Comcast Center. I got a great deal at a discount travel site and really cannot recommend this place enough.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you had such a wonderful stay with us and that you named us the nicest hotel you have ever stayed in. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our room amenities including the Keurig coffee maker, our great downtown location, and that our staff was able to make your stay memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the future.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I had a conference at the Marriott Hotel in Philly but canceled my reservation there because they didn't take dogs and we needed to bring ours along. So we checked into the Sofitel and once I saw the Marriot and other hotels in Philly, I was extremely happy with my choice. The Sofitel is contemporary and warm and the staff are all very friendly. The pampered service starts with the valet who parks the car, it continues with those working at the front desk, and even housekeeping staff are very warm and friendly and care about your every need. The facility is very beautiful and is in the best part of Philly. The best restaurants and entertainment are all right there, and beautiful Rittenhouse square made a perfect walk with our dog. There are lots of luxury hotels in Philly and they all look nice, but there is something special about the Sofitel. We even forgot our cell phone in the car and the valet ran back to go get it for us in seconds even though he had just returned from parking the car. The front desk assisted me with printing out material for my conference and sending up a dogbowl to the room. And the housekeeping staff knew we were two people and they always had the right amount of bottled water, amenties, etc and we never had to ask for a thing and we were impressed with all of this. Sofitel should be proud of their Philadelphia location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you had such an excellent stay with us while visiting for your conference. We are always pleased to provide a memorable stay for our guests and their pets when they have the opportunity to bring them along. We are very glad that you had the opportunity to take advantage of our great Rittenhouse Square location and all it has to offer during you stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the future.

NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My sister and I stayed at the Sofitel in Philadelphia 11-30-12 through 12-2-12. I must say, I have stayed a quite a few Sofitel’s throughout the US and have been nothing but totally thrilled with my experiences at all of them, which is why I didn’t even think twice about booking there in Philly. Upon arrival we were instantly greeted by the friendly employees at the front door, asking if we wanted luggage assistance. We declined and headed to the front desk to check in. Staff was friendly, the check in process was easy. We headed up to our Junior Suite, room 1408. After putting our stuff down, we noticed that there was a gaping hole in the ceiling right near the entrance of the room. It appeared as if the paneling for the ceiling was about to fall down. We called the front desk and were moved to another junior suite, room 915, no problems, again friendly helpful service. The room was fine, the decor, furniture, and overall appearance of the room clearly showed years of wear and tear, was a bit dated and tired looking, but the size was fine, it was clean, and so we overlooked the negatives. We returned from dinner that Friday evening and went to sleep around 10:30 p.m. Around 12:45 a.m. we were both woken up by the yelling and screaming of a group of drunk females in the hallway. It lasted for a few minutes, and while we were clearly annoyed, we were both exhausted and fell back asleep. Then around 2:30 a.m. that same morning, we were woken up by another drunk female, banging on our door, demanding we let her. After yelling at this drunken person that she was at the wrong room, she stumbled off and stopped banging on our door.

I called the front desk around 9:30 a.m. that Saturday morning to report the incident. I supposedly spoke to a manager, who promised to get back to me shortly as he was going to "investigate the situation". We left the room at noon to head out for the day, still no call back, and got back to the hotel around 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. I was shocked to see that no message had been left by hotel management in the eight hours since I had made the call. I called the front desk again, as neither of us wanted to deal with being woken up by drunk people again that evening. Much to my surprise, there was no notation of my earlier call, and so I had to deal with yet another manager, who when I told him the story, knew exactly what group of women I was referring to, and said "he wasn't that surprised given how they were when they checked in and that most likely, it could happen again that evening." What was fascinating to me is that you have guests who have had to move once already due to lack of hotel maintenance and awareness, but you now put them on a floor (where the rooms have ZERO sound proofing) where there could be potential noise issues with abnormally loud guests. Listen, I don't care what these girls do, how loud they want to be, as long as I can't hear them, and they aren't disrupting my evening, it's none of my business, but clearly, that was not the case. So yet again, we move rooms, junior suite 1137 (which is the most run down one out all the ones we were in) and are given a complimentary breakfast and a 3 p.m. check out on Sunday. At this point, I was super annoyed that the original manager I spoke with completely ignored my complaints, and that we were moving to a third room, however, the assistant manager Karim Meziane who handled everything that evening was very apologetic and pleasant, and even hand delivered the new keys along with a face to face apology. So I chalked it up to the fact that they were super busy that weekend and we had a little bit of bad luck. Then I hit my breaking point the following day. We got up early, enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, and headed out for the day as we now had a 3 p.m. versus a noon checkout. We get back to the hotel around 2:15 p.m., just enough time to tidy up our bags and head to the train station. We get in the elevator to learn that our keys are no longer activated. I go to the front desk, I was scolded that the reason our keys are not working is because we were supposed to be out of the room by noon, to which, I shook my head, had to spend 10 minutes explaining that we had a late checkout, but because there was nothing noted from Karim, they sort of all looked at me funny, asked my for my ID, and then finally reactivated my key. Oh and the kicker, I was told that all keys get deactivated no matter what your checkout time is, and that if guests have late checkouts they have to go down to the front desk to reactive their key, WHAT?!?! I have NEVER stayed at a hotel where if you have a late checkout, they don't just electronically extend your checkout time on your key card. Needless to say, I was beyond irritated. I emailed Karim immediately, as he had given me his card, and said if there were any issues, to please don't hesitate to contact him, well, needless to say, I of course have not heard a peep a from him and don't anticipate I will.

As I mentioned to Karim in the email, they had plenty of opportunities to right quite a number of wrong situations for guests that were paying to stay in premium rooms, that quite frankly, lost their premium factor a few years ago. Were the rooms sizable, yes, were the beds comfy, yes, besides that, everything needs a face lift. The couches in the rooms are so sunken in from years of use, they are extremely uncomfortable, and as many other guests pointed out, mold in bathrooms, rotting wood, etc. Clearly this hotel is in some financial distress as these reported renovations Vincent Vienne, General Manager, keeps on alluding too are not being addressed in any way shape or form from a guests perspective. I also find his responses comical as they are canned and very rarely do his responses address all the issues listed by guests, particularly the ones that have written about hotel cleanliness. So Mr. Vienne, please spare me the condescending canned response, as I don’t feel like adding being patronized to the list of issues I had with my stay at your hotel. Clearly, Hotel Palomar is the way to go in that area, worth spending a few extra dollars in my opinion.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, choose a room on one of the ends, do not go with rooms in the middle, you can hea...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry to learn what you experienced during your stay with us. I would love to have the opportunity to speak to you in person, please reach out to me at the hotel; I would like to discuss your experience with you and to find a way to make it right.

Sincere regards

Vincent Vienne

Been to Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel? Share your experiences!