“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel

You added Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel to your Saves list
Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 South 17th Street, (City Center West), Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive 15% Discount!
Ranked #8 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California, United States
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

So we fell in love with Philly the moment we arrived. The people rock, and there is a lot to do. This hotel was in an awesome location. It's a typical higher end hotel where the people at the front desk are stoic and professional. It was an easy check in, and the room was perfect for a short weekend. We wanted something simple to eat, so we got amazing recommendations to all different restaurants in the area. We ended up at an awesome Irish Pub called Fado's! I would definitely stay here for the location and good, clean, rooms!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you had such a great stay with us and were able to take advantage of our great downtown location and what it has to offer. We are very pleased that we were able to provide you with a great experience during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the future.

Vincent Vienne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here overnight for a short business trip. Was able to check in early. Bar space in the lobby was a great place for a short, casual meeting. Room service breakfast was delicious. Bed was extremely comfortable. Great toiletries and a good hair dryer as well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you had such a pleasant business trip with us. We do our best to check in guest early when we have the availability and are very glad that we were able to offer this to you. We are pleased that you enjoyed our lobby and were able to use Liberte for a short meeting. We are also very pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast through room service, our unique So-Beds, and our L’Occitane toiletries. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the future.

Milano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I spent 6 nights in this hotel during a conference. Although I paid a special fare, my room was large and comfortable. Also the cleanliness level was excellent (especially the bathroom). The hotel is in the city center, thus it is extremely easy to get good restaurants and the city main buildings. An excellent experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you had such an excellent stay with us during your conference. We are pleased that you enjoyed our large rooms and bathrooms and our great downtown location and all it has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the near future.

Naples, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

On the positive side, the location is excellent and the room spacious. However, we were appalled to find a matted clump of hair on top of the shower drain. This was not A stray hair (from the cleaning staff or passerby), we're talking a mass of tangled hair. Unsat.

After check-out, I reviewed my credit card statement and was charged approximately $20 for minibar items which we did not consume. I declined the key to the minibar when it was offered at check-in, so practically speaking, I couldn't have accessed the minibar. To be fair, when I contacted the hotel about this matter, they agreed to correct the error and were pleasant/apologetic. Still waiting on the correction/refund. Not the biggest deal in the world, but annoying and indicative of a lack of attention to detail (i.e. if I didn't have the minibar key, how could I have had minibar items).

Finally, for those interested in the property as a "pet-friendly" choice, I would recommend that you look elsewhere. First, there is a $300 pet-deposit. I was not apprised of this deposit at the time of my reservation. While I certainly understanding the concept of a deposit, I think $300 is excessive. I've traveled extensively with my dog (including to a few 5-star properties in Rome and Lucerne) and I've never paid such a heavy deposit. Again, to be fair, the deposit was promptly refunded, but still I found it high. More troubling to me was the lack of "friendliness". While the dog is allowed in the guests room he/she is not allowed in any common spaces for any length of time. Without getting into a long discussion of my experience and/or my dog's merits (she's a Canine Good Citizen and pursing her Therapy Certification), it suffices to say, I was very disappointed with the limited, common-area pet-friendly options available.

I fully appreciate hygiene concerns (kitchen, pool, etc.) and also the preferences and comfort of other guests (e.g. fear, allergies, etc. Even as a dog-enthusiast, I certainly don't like to listen to barking/whining/howling, be jumped on, or otherwise subjected to unruly behavior). However, if the hotel is going to tout itself as "pet-friendly" then I think there needs to be a bit more flexibility on where pets may stay. As I explained, I'm not talking about unruly/out of control animals, obviously their owners should immediately and appropriately address such situations (frankly, I don't know why one would travel with such a pet-- not fun for the owner, not fun for the pet). Rather, I'm thinking of the vast majority of pet owners who spend the time and expense to travel with their pet and have well-behaved, properly socialized animals that are capable of behaving appropriately in public.

To the extent that Sofitel is interested in constructive comments, I would suggest offering a sitting area in/off the lobby that is 'pet-friendly'.

Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. Excellence is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to constantly improve our hotel and to provide a memorable experience to our valued guests. We will be sure to discuss your review with our Housekeeping, Food & Beverage, and Front Office departments to ensure that all points in your review are addressed and to assist us in enhancing our service and making adjustments to our procedures. We will also most certainly discuss your experience staying with your dog to our team as well. We do have a small seating area in our lobby which is most definitely welcome to pets; however, we understand that this area may be a bit small. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and will discuss with our team to make any appropriate changes possible. We look forward for an opportunity to welcome you and your pet back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the near future and to provide a more positive experience.

uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My company choose this hotel for employees.

Good points ...

Very clean room
Mega comfortable bed
Central location in Phillie

Bad points

The staff servicing the rooms appear to have no concept of noise ... They happily on several occasions, were happy to allows guest room doors to slam from fully open to shut. I had room 1227 that was close to the banging door of the service area. The room maids were gathered on several occasions loudly chatting. This spoilt what should be a great experience.

The only other point in regards to room service .. There is a $ 3.50 tray charge added. Then after the cost of food is applied , a 20% service charge. ... $17 food ,$8 worth of service charge ... Whilst the foo was good and tasty, I will be using the wok Chinese resturant about 2 mins away in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. Excellence is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to constantly improve our hotel and to provide a memorable experience to our valued guests. We will certainly discuss your review with our team to enhance the service we provide. It is important to us that all of our guests experience a quiet, peaceful stay with us and value your comments as they assist us in making changes that are necessary to our procedures. We are pleased that you enjoyed our rooms, unique So-Beds, and downtown location. We look forward for an opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Philadelphia again in the near future and to provide a more positive experience for you.

Richmond, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed only one evening at the Sofitel but enjoyed it tremendously. The hotel is beautiful. Friendly at the front desk. We were on the 11th floor and had a great view of the city. Our room was very clean, updated with an Asian flair. Very pretty. Bose radio and flatscreen, desk, two chairs with a table and a king bed. The bed had a down comforter and feather bed - not the best support but super nice. Shower was great.

My only complaint was the breakfast buffet. We were not given the choice of Ala Carte - only buffet while the table next to us did get ala carte. The buffet was just okay and for $20 per person, I should have went for a walk and gotten something at a little quaint place. The service was not great either. Our server poured the coffee and spilled it all over the saucer and just said, "oops, sorry about that" without offering a new plate for me. That irked me. Also, I had to track down someone for a spoon to eat my yogurt. Little stuff but still annoying.

The location was GREAT! Only 3 blocks from the subway. Stores, restaurants, etc is all within a few blocks. A great little find is Dandelion's restaurant. This is a must go to!!! So quaint with great food.

We would definitly stay here again - just not have breakfast. Room was lovely. Valet parking was great also. Very friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Ask for a high level floor - great views
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you and your husband had such a pleasant stay with us. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our great downtown location, room décor and amenities, marble bathroom with separate shower and tub, and that our front desk and valet staff were able to make your stay memorable. Excellence is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to constantly improve our hotel and to provide a memorable experience to our valued guests. We will certainly discuss your review with our Food & Beverage team to help enhance the service we provide. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia in the future and for the opportunity to provide you with a more positive breakfast experience.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

After having a pretty bad experience at the Residence Inn the night before, we landed at the Sofitel. Thankfully they had a room available at a nice price.

The reservationist advised we would have a luxury sunny corner room, which excited us since sometimes staying in a downtown can lead to a darker room with all the buildings around. And, we thought a corner would be lots of windows.

After having valet take our car, we checked in. We did not get a corner room (still not sure why) but, it was an OK room with plenty of space. We had a king room... and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom had a nice separate shower and tub and was roomy. I really like the double doors to the bathroom. The room was also nicely decorated and felt cozy. There was a pretty big (what looked like a) cigarette burn on the carpet and the ceiling in the bathroom needed some repair. Simple things like that can really take a hotel down a notch in my book - especially for the "feel" of this hotel.

Upon return to the hotel late that night, they had been in our room to do turndown and put on a nice soft jazz.

When were set to leave, we called down to the valet to have them bring our car. They said it would be about 10 minutes. We were a little slow moving, so we finally got down to get our car about 20 minutes later. We had all our luggage with us and just stood around outside watching valet come and go, but never bringing our car. No one ever even asked if they could help us. Finally, I asked them if they were going to get our car. They pretty much told me that I never called... not nice. They finally brought our car -- offered no apologies for being late.

And, upon checkout, I did mention to the front desk clerk that we were told we would have a corner room. She said our reservation didn't note it. I explained that we were advised that, we didn't necessarily request it. She made no apologies and basically had an "oh well" attitude about it; didn't offer anything to make it right.

Overall, a nice stay. They should really work on the valet issues. If they expect $40-ish a night to park my car and tips, then they need to get with it a little more.

Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. Excellence is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to constantly improve our hotel and to provide a memorable experience to our valued guests. We will certainly discuss your review with our team to improve our communication with our Reservations, Front Office, and Valet departments. We are also looking forward to upcoming room upgrades which are due in the very near future. We appreciate your comments as they address an important aspect of our hotel that is soon to be updated. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our unique, So-Bed, large, marble bathrooms with separate tub and shower, and our turndown service that we provide to all our guest rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia in the future and the opportunity to provide you with a more positive experience.

Vincent Vienne

Been to Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel? Share your experiences!