“Will Definitely Return again and again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel to your Saves list
Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 South 17th Street, (City Center West), Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive 15% Discount!
Ranked #10 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
King of Prussia
“Will Definitely Return again and again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I decided to use the rewards points on our credit card and decided to use them to stay at the Sofitel Hotel for New Years Eve since prices can get a bit ridiculous for hotels that night. I'm just going to list the reason's why I give the hotel a rating of 4 out of 5.

Pros:
Friendly staff
Quick check in
Very Posh and updated decor in the rooms and through out the hotel
* King Size Bed
* Huge Bath with a separate shower/bathtub
* Flat Screen TV
* Decent size closet with all amenities
Clean Clean Clean
The most comfortable bed out of many hotels we have stayed in (that's saying a lot for us)
Easy Check Out
Classy bar/cafe on the main floor (this is were we actually had the most fun on NYE)

Cons:
Parking/Valet is questionable and tedious

The hotel is in the city which makes it understandable about needing valet, but the protocol of when arriving at the hotel and departing gets a little complicated. The reason its complicated is because the entrance has very limited space when pulling your car up and taking out luggage before the "drive way" gets congested by other guests pulling in. My husband and I had to wait at least 20 mins for our car to arrive after we checked out.

But mentioning that is being pretty picky since the staff really do try their best to get things done and organized for the guests. So it wasn't that much of a big deal.

The hotel was able to get us cab service very quickly to take us to the Spirit of Philadelphia. We were able to have the same driver pick us up and take us back to the hotel which was much needed since getting a cab in Philly after 12am on NYE was like having the only working car in War of the Worlds.

Once we arrived back at the hotel we continued our night dancing and having a blast in the bar area.

At the end we enjoyed our stay and had a great New Years Eve night thanks to the Sofitel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us on New Years Eve and that our amenities were to your liking. We do apologize that parking was difficult for you and will review your comments to make any changes we are able to. Valet parking can be difficult in center city, especially on a night like New Years Eve and we appreciate your comments to assist us with making any improvements we are able to for our guests. We appreciate your patience on such a busy night and look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia in the near future.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

My partner and I have generally enjoyed staying here, as we have done so 3 times this past year. However, service seems to have gone downhill lately. We chose Sofitel for our long New Year's weekend celebration getaway, but our room was not cleaned 2 days in a row -- we had to ask for it on both days. The second day we were in our room for most of the day without a knock to ask if we needed cleaning. We also purchased a room upgrade for our final night but were told at the last minute that the upgraded room THAT WE ALREADY PAID FOR was being given away to a "platinum member" who decided to stay an extra night. Apparently, our "gold member" status was meaningless. We were greeted with a plethora of sorry's, which we appreciated but didn't help much. On a smaller note, there are so many dings and dents in the furniture and molding that they really need replacing and/or repair. Needless to say, we'll be looking for a different hotel during our next visit.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I live in DC and like to get away to Philly because my partner went to school there and is still connected to Philly. I have been 3 X in 2011. I stayed 2X before at Sofitel and got pretty good service and thought I would try it again for NYE 2011. I have come to the conclusion that this hotel is not a good place to stay during busy holidays. When I arrived they gave me a room that reaked of smoke (despite the fact that they said the hotel was smoke free)... they offered a second room which was no better with the smoke smell (stay off the 14th floor I guess) ... we finally ended up on a different floor... We asked for an upgrade the next day but they were booked for the holiday ... but we could upgrade on the third day ... we said OK and paid the extra rate .... on the second night the maid never cleaned the room (we had to call and ask for cleaning service to come) ... on the third day we called and reconfirmed that the upgrade was still good and got a confirmation ... we packed out bags and was told to come back at 3 PM ... not a problem, I thought ... a 3 PM we were told that the upgrade could not take place ... I said forget it... went back to my same room ... maid service never came again on the 3rd day ... at 5:30pm I stopped by the front desk on my way to dinner to ask again for cleaning service ... it was at that time that I was told that I never got the upgrade earlier because someone with a "higher level" hotel club card wanted it .... so not only did the hotel not clean my room twice but they also insulted me (as if my money was not good enough) ..... service here has really gone down hill .... I will not be staying here a 4th time when I return to Philly in 2012.... there are plenty of other hotels in Philly that I'm sure will provide good (if not better) service for my money. I have only 2 words for Sofitel ... "Good Bye"

Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. Excellence is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provides a memorable experience to our valued guests. We deeply apologize for the service you received. The experience you had is not our norm and we will most definitely be sharing your review with the appropriate departments. Our policy is to treat all of our guests equally with the highest level of service. Our housekeeping department is only to pass over rooms when there is a “do not disturb” sign on the door. We will most definitely review with them to ensure that they do not pass over any rooms that they should not. We greatly appreciate your feedback and will use it to improve the service we provide. We strive to give consistent service weather it is during a busy time period or not. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Philadelphia in the future and to provide a much higher level of service that all of our guests should receive at all times.

montclair, new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a short getaway. Nice staff, location and room. I stayed in a junior suite booked through hotels.com...about 170 dollars with tax per night. I thought that was a great value for a room that included a small living room area, nice bathroom with shower as well as a tub and two TVs--not really that necessary but nice. Bed was comfortable and it was quiet. There is a restaurant and bar in the hotel but we did not have time to visit them but they are there and there's room service. Pets are also allowed on certain floors in this hotel--we stayed on the 5th and there was a barking dog but you hardly hear anything when you are in your room. I love pets but am not so fond of sharing my hotel room with them. My room was clean and I did not see any problem areas in my room. For those who are highly allergic to animals, I think that it is important to know that this is a pet friendly hotel. Also, internet access has a fee--about $10 per day. The location was very convenient to all the stores, Rittenhouse square, restaurants, etc. It was great to just walk to everything. We parked our car at 1760 Samson street for $40. I think valet parking would have been a better deal which the hotel offered...I think at $34. I really liked this hotel and would probably stay here again on my next Philly visit.

Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you choose to spend your getaway with us and enjoyed our rooms, location, and the service of our staff. We understand that you might not have been in favor of our pet friendly policy and encourage all of our guests to mention that to us so that we can be sure to assign their rooms on a floor that is pet free. We do not have pets stay with us often, but when we do; it is a priority for us to keep all of our guests happy and comfortable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia in the near future and hope you will have an opportunity to try our dinning options weather it be Liberte, Chez Colette, or our room service.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Decided on a last minute trip to Philly over the holidays and secured a super inexpensive rate on hotels.com at the Sofitel. We'd had a wonderful stay at the Sofitel in LA so figured this would be a similar experience.

The hotel is well situated near Rittenhouse and we walked everywhere, easily.

We had a standard king room and it was huge and really quite nicely appointed - L'Occitane toiletries and sumptuous bathrobes in the bathroom, big comfortable bed with nice linens. Really very nice, if not extremely typical of a business before leisure hotel.

A small but significant negative: wifi was not free with the room, another noteworthy feature of
a hotel catering to the business/expense account crowd.

On the plus side, a very nice fitness center is on the 4th floor with complimentary headphones for those who forgot theirs (me!) - well appointed & glad to have it.

Highly recommend a visit to DiBruno's marketplace right around the corner on 18th St (amazing goodies, meats, cheeses & pastries).

The staff was very gracious and hospitable, as is the Sofitel way. I requested a room away from the elevators and the desk clerk readily changed our room assignment.

What got in the way of a fabulous stay, though, was the parking disarray, both at check in and check out. The circle in front of the hotel used for valet was packed with cars at odd angles, making it impossible to pull in and get out, and also blocking traffic on 17th St. We sat in the car for a while waiting to drop off with valet - same nonsense on return. The car was waiting in the circle for us (we called to ask for it 15-20 minutes prior, as they suggest) but no valet and no keys, so we stood in the cold with our bags for quite some time.

Its just inefficient and understaffed, but it marred what would otherwise have been a seamless experience.

Perhaps avoid this by parking in a nearby garage if you don't need the car til you leave. Overall a great hotel - recommend.

Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed our rooms, amenities, great location, and gracious, hospitable staff during your stay with us. We also greatly appreciate your comments regarding our valet parking. Parking can be a challenge in such a centrally located downtown area; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provides a memorable experience to our valued guests. Excellence is what we strive to be known for and we will review your comments to help make any adjustments we are able to. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia in the future for an opportunity for a 5 star experience.

Mid-Atlantic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Stayed at this hotel a few years ago and was less than thrilled with the experience. It seemed below the standard typical of Sofitel. My impression has changed after my most recent trip. The entire staff was very accommodating. The room was quiet and clean. The bed was acceptable. The lounge was convenient with good service. I did not take advantage of any menu items so no comment on the food. Overall, marked improvement. I will stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you had the opportunity to stay with us again to experience our current service. We are continually making changes to improve our service to provide the most memorable experience for our guests. We are very pleased that you were able to see the differences that we implement and enjoy them. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia in the future.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Wow - I simply don't understand what all the hype is about? We booked a Junior Suite for our one night stay for my birthday and while the room was spacious, is looked old, worn and dated. Wallpaper was peeling off - the furniture was scratched and broken - the bathroom barely had enough lights - there was no fan - the shower was small and the TV reception on every channel was snowy. I will say the staff was pleasant and you can't beat the location - but definitely not worth the price, especially for a suite...go elsewhere!

Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. Excellence is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provides a memorable experience to our valued guests. We are in the process of putting together renovation plans for our rooms and your comments help us greatly. We continually update our hotel and now that we have renovated our meeting space and then lounge/restaurant, we are now moving onto our guest rooms. We understand that not all of our guest rooms have had the same quality of wear and tear and that they need to be addressed which we are in the process of doing. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel in the future to experience a higher quality guest room once our renovations have been complete.

Regards,

Been to Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel? Share your experiences!