“THERE'S WORSE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Parker-Spruce Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Philadelphia
Parker-Spruce Hotel
You added Parker-Spruce Hotel to your Saves list
261 South 13th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Ranked #73 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
CO ANTRIM
“THERE'S WORSE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

This hotel may not be the most luxurious but the hammock effect was nice and at least there was a toilet!! I stayed in worse in Ballycastle, Co Antrim, N Ireland.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Families
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

I’m 43 years old and have travelled to dozens of countries and all types of hotels and hostels. The hotel was recommended to us by City tourist guides when we arrived at the central bus station in Philadelphia. We told them we wanted something for about $100 per night or less so they directed us to the Parker Spruce. I have never stayed in such filthy unfit accommodation before, I’ve never even come close. It was $54 per night and to be quite honest that was a complete rip off. The whole building is grim and foreboding from the outside and it’s dirty, dark and smelly inside. In my room the carpet tiles on the floor were sticking to the soles of my feet forcing me to keep my shoes on. There where all kinds of insect life walking around the room. I was itching from the minute I arrived and for some time after I left. Sitting on the bed was only a slight improvement. The middle of the bed had collapsed in leaving you with a hammock effect. If you don’t have a bad back when you arrive, you may have by the time you leave. The bed sheets were thread bare and covered with cigarette burns. The shower/toilet area are almost beyond description. The shower fittings hanging from the walls, broken and badly stained tiles and a toilet that induced instant constipation. Worst of all were the sounds you could hear on the corridor. People coughing and wheezing and clearly in distress and a very young child crying. I pity anyone who has to stay here for any length of time.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Salisbury, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

I was visiting from Maryland to see my boyfriend and because of the price of the hotel I was lured to the Parker Spruce. Big Mistake. This place reminded me of a housing project in Philadelphia. The inside of the building was old and dirty. The halls and elevators reeked of a mixture of mothballs and urine. The people there were either probably drug dealers and or prostitutes. When I got to the room I literally began to cry. See I had let my boyfriend book the room (He's cheap) and there was a no refund policy. I wonder why???? The only thing I could do is cry and call my family to let them know how horrible my stay was. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

The absolute worse hotel I've ever stayed in...and I've been in some bad ones. Had the misfortune of my radiator break on the way through town and was driven over there because it was "cheap" only to find out I would have been better staying in my car. It would no doubt have been cleaner, and safety probably was a wash. (Unfortunately I was still in college and $49 sounded great for my budget. We "upgraded" to not share our bathroom.) I have no doubt pimps/hoes/druggies frequent that place and were swarming around us at all times. The sheets were stained and my boyfriend and I slept on top of the sheets fully clothed, under a winter jacket all night looking at our plexiglassed reflections on the ceiling praying no one would bust through the shoddy lock on the door. I was honestly surprised I never heard a gunshot. After a very unsettled slumber I woke up and washed my hair fully clothed in the shower to make sure I didn't leave with more than I had come in with disease way. A hypodermic needle was no doubt hiding in a corner and I was determined NOT to find it. This place is not worth any discount they are willing to provide unless you are on drugs that put you in a catatonic state. I wouldn't even bring a prostitute there for fear of having to lay with my clothes off on the defiled sheets. Stay AWAY!

• Liked — I didn't get shot.
  • Disliked — I didn't get shot and had to spend an entire night there.
  • Stayed November 2003, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2006

Wow! Seedy would be kind....a hotel for the darker side of Philadelphia. Ten minutes was enough to assess the bargain and find another place to stay.

• Stayed March 2005
Philadelphia, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2006

The rates are $45/night plus $5 per visitor. that policy shoud speak for itself. the sheets are stained, there are mirrors on the ceiling, and the furniture was probably used in 1978. Stay here only if you have to. It's a remnant of what was once a buslting red light district. I speak this as a native.

• Stayed June 2003
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2005

I don't know where to even begin. This can NOT even be considered a hotel...The place is an absolute MESS.

This is a place where people who have nowhere else to go must stay. The staff is rude and ignorant. The stinch when you walk into the place is palpable... In addition, the rooms are disastrous..I would use my own blankets to cover their sheets..I would not dare shower because the bathrooms were NOT ever clean

I could go on for days...It was a unpleasant experience as unpleasant can be measured. The only way I suspect that this place is still in business is because the Health Dept simply does not know the conditions OR just simply choose to look the other way. PLEASE, if you can afford to stay elsewhere, DO SO!!!

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business

Been to Parker-Spruce Hotel? Share your experiences!