“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
New Jersey
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2007

I read the reviews on the web, and took the chance on the Roosevelt, as the price and locations were right. It actually turned out to be a very nice surprise - for my (very reasonable) room rate, I got a room with what looked like new furniture, a big, comfortable bed, a clean bathroom and a big TV. The halls looked nice (it looks like they just put in new carpets in the hallways) with actual artwork on many of the walls.

Overall, a pleasant surprise - a good hotel, a good location at a good price. I would most definitely recommend this to fellow travellors - it looks like after some difficult years that they've got their act together!

• Liked — Seems to be a good value - clean rooms, good location
  • Disliked — Seems to have received bad reviews in the past
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

The room was awful, the rug was filthy, there were holes in the curtains and on the bedspreads, and the window was broken, not to mention the towels were dirty. There was no clock radio and no inhouse directory. The faculty had no personality, not welcoming at all and you hear everything from doors slaming to people talking.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — everything besides the price
  • Tips/Secrets — Look elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

The "front desk" at this establishment resembles a gas station in a bad part of town. The management is behind glass, and there are ancient two-way mirrors in the foyer, giving one the impression that you need only wait a short time before the complimentary thorazine and straight jackets are administered to the "guests." The clerk told my sons and I that we were in one of the "renovated rooms" which gave me some hope. The room itself was clean, but it was bereft of even the smallest amenity. There was no phone book or any paper, pamphlet, pens, and the air conditioning was not working well. My youngest son (9) tried one of the beds and announced that he would be sleeping on the floor. My son's both said that the beds felt like woooden planks. I thought it was an idle threat, but he did indeed sleep on the floor that night. The next morning, I went looking tor the "continental breakfast." It appeared sometime after eight and was the result of one of the staff having made a trip to Dunkin Donuts, and a pot of coffee (no decaf available) with a lovely carafe of milk sitting in some ice. The second morning it appeared even later because no one seemed to be in charge of actually putting the donuts where we could get them. Desparate guests ventured into the kitchen to nab a donut for themselves, and coffee was not made until shortly before nine. While we were getting ready to check out, our bathroom ceiling began to leak profusely. Those are just the "highlights" of our experience, and we were double billed for the adventure to boot. Don't go there!

Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2004

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Roosevelt Inn last year. We liked the rates and the rooms looked nice on the website. Not to mention it was AAA approved. When we got there they gave us a room that was awful!! The room was small, the carpet was dirty and the walls had holes in them. It was a nightmare!! Finally, I complained at the front desk because I was know way In hell taking this room. The manager at the front desk told us he gave us the wrong room which Im not sure If I believe that or not. He gave us a newly renovated room with a king sized bed and large tv. The room was much nicer!! Everything was neat and clean. Totally brand new!! We decided to stay and had a wonderful vacation after that. My advice to anyone on this motel...make sure your getting your moneys worth and complain if you have too!!

NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2003

I wanted to warn anyone contemplating a stay at this place because of the low price. This is one scary, dirty place! The checkin desk had bulletproof glass an inch thick, there was pot smoke in the hallways, I found blood on the comforter, there was no blanket, the room was very cold, the shower was dirty, the sheets old and grey, the plumbing was the loudest I've ever heard in a hotel. It was a horrible experience and my husband and I couldn't sleep all night. I don't know why it was AAA approved (I looked it up in the AAA tourbook before booking). Stay away from it!

• Stayed October 2004

Been to Roosevelt Inn? Share your experiences!