“A lovely throwback” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
Rowayton, Connecticut
“A lovely throwback”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We spent only one night at the Ritz, but it was memorable. We were upgraded at no charge to a huge room with an enormous bathroom - views of the city were not thrilling, but we did look down on the famous dome. The valet parking was $$$, but worth it when staff retrieved my cell from the floor of our car (parked far away in an RC lot across the river). We got a chuckle from the special baths offered by the "ladies and gentlemen" of the hotel...for $50, but opted out. Great service at breakfast (try the Philly cheesesteak & eggs) - the restaurant and lobby were blissfully quiet after the chaos we found on arrival with a wedding in progress.

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Lincoln Park, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

It's an old building with nice architecture in the lobby, but the rooms were not what I was expecting by any means. The room was a good size, and the bathroom was spacious, but for the Ritz I was expecting a "wow" factor and there was none. The room was clean but dated, could use an update. I've been to nicer Hyatts. There were no robes, which is something I look forward to since I travel a lot for work and have come to expect. (Best robe ever: Fontainebleu!)

I was there with a group, and multiple family members had check in issues. One checked in and found a man asleep in their bed. Another one's room key didn't work at all. Not really what you expect at the Ritz...

However, all of the staff were extremely pleasant and friendly, from the bartender to a random maintenance guy in the elevator, they were A+++. The service/staff is the best thing about the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Darryll A, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on our TripAdvisor page. It is through feedback such as this that we are able to improve the physical condition and design on our hotel. We are happy to share that a renovation is upon us! Come 2015, we will be completing a full renovation of all guest rooms; a great new design to showcase the rich history of our building as the former, Girard Trust Bank.

Thank you for commenting on the truly superb service that you experienced as our guest. Our Ladies and Gentlemen are there to serve you in the refined ambiance you should expect as our guest. We are hopeful of your return and hope you will come back after the new year to provide feedback on own new rooms. As a loyal guest, we appreciate all feedback that you are willing to share.

Thank you.
OC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We went to the Ritz Carlton for 4 nights. We also had access to the Club. The staff including Lisa, Jimmy & Mary Kate are excellent !!! The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are extremely nice. The location of the hotel is in the middle of many of Philly's major tourist stops. I recommend the Club, the hosts are extremely nice and assist you with any of your needs. I did have a rental and they have an excellent valet service, just give them 10 minutes before you need your car to bring it.The hotel is located in a former bank building. We would stay there again. They also accommodated us with umbrellas for our walk once it started raining. So overall, the staff are great to deal with at this Ritz ! I know also they are in the process of remodeling their guest rooms too or better stated updating them.

Shoreview, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews. The hotel was beautiful, and the service was impeccable. The location was also great, within walking distance of numerous wonderful restaurants. My room had a great view, and was fine in almost all respects. The only downsides were the safe was too small to hold my work laptop and the sink in the bathroom was tiny. It was probably the tiniest sink I have seen in many years of traveling. There was nowhere to rest a curling iron, or to set my makeup bags. There was a tiny display shelf holding the toiletries, but this was also not functional for my needs. The toiletries were however wonderful! One other negative is that the lobby bar was very loud most nights. I understand the loud music appeals to many, but I prefer a quieter place to have a drink and a conversation. However, overall a very pleasant experience and I would definitely return to this hotel!

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Let me start with the positive: the room we were given was large. That's it, that's the only positive thing I have to say! The reality was that our room was dirty and not at all like the professional pictures on here - there weren't even duvet's on the beds - sheets, that was it! Not even mattress covers, which I called housekeeping and asked that they be added because a simple sheet over a mattress was not acceptable. I mentioned to several employees my dissatisfaction with the room and although the bellman did offer to move us, he also said that if he did, the room he moved us to would be much smaller, so i opted to stay where we were. the employees in general did not seem friendly or even seem as though they gave a hoot that we were there or not, matter of fact, when I told the front desk person that we would be leaving a day early, he didn't even ask why or seem to care - just a simple "okay, no problem".

The area is not very good so we were unable to do any exploring in the evening and ended up going to bed about 9 pm - that's all we heard all night were police sirens, fire trucks and ambulances - ALL NIGHT. In addition, the people in the room above us were apparently running marathons in their room and checking to see if the door worked properly because we could hear their door open and slam repeatedly as well. That's not the hotel's fault, of course, but mentioning it because the noise level in the room was unbelievable.

The restaurant is not open on Sundays so we ate dinner at the bar/lounge - which was in the lobby - literally - you sit at tables in the middle of the lobby and people are coming and going within the hotel - it was strange, the food was fine, we had philly cheesesteaks and french fries.

We had club level access as well and could not believe how incredibly small the lounge was - if more than two or three families were in there, it felt crowded. Options offered were limited and I'll just say that I am extremely happy that I did not have to pay for the CL access (I have a Ritz credit card which provides for three upgrades per calendar year without additional charges).

As we were checking out, a gentleman asked if he could assist us with our bags (we did not call for bell services) and he did ask if we enjoyed our stay - I told him that we unfortunately did not and told him we were actually checking out early because of it - he insisted that I provide him with my email address so that he could bring it to the Manager's attention and have it addressed. So far, no communication at all - it's been 6 days. I'm not surprised based upon the other interactions at the hotel.

This property is just not what I have experienced in other cities and I wish I had something more I could say that was positive because we had really looked forward to this stay. I would not recommend it to my friends or family and certainly won't stay there again.

Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

A top notch Ritz-Carlton hotel in an old bank building with wonderful architecture, and an atrium of regal proportions. Good but not great service, choice of dining venues, great cocktail area and wonderful rooms.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Clinton, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

The lobby was grand and offered an excellent happy hour with small dishes. The room was very comfortable but desperately needed more electric outlets. There was a surge protector for electronics but it was on the bedside table not the desk. I was there for a conference and the meeting rooms were nice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia? Share your experiences!