“The best” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Toulouse, France
“The best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This was a Very confortable and friendly hotel
The staff is Exceptinal in all senses
Amability education Good manners Very helpful
The y deserve Good mention
The hotel is excellent of course
The best location
Only to mention no free wifi in rooms

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Harrisburg, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night, the night before our daughter graduated from college. When we checked in, our room was not ready, but the front desk checked us in and stored our luggage. A little bit later, we got the call that our room was ready and we stopped at the front desk to get our keys. The woman working at the front desk gave us our keys, but gave us no direction as to how to get to our room. We turned a corner and saw the concierge desk but there was no concierge at the desk. We have never stayed at this hotel before so we were not familiar with the layout or where the elevators were. We then asked a hotel employee that was walking by how to get to our room and she pointed out the elevators, which were down a small set of stairs and around a corner, and explained where our room was. We got up to our room and it was a pretty average room. Not at all what I was expecting. There were two double beds, a desk, a TV, a refrigerator and a bathroom. Everything was clean and the bathroom was updated and nice, but this having been my first "Ritz Carlton experience", I was really expecting more. The view of City Hall and Broad Street outside of our window was pretty. Overall I would say that I don't have to ever stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Darryll A, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed account of your stay with us during your recent visit to The City of Brotherly Love during your daughters graduation. The complete satisfaction of our guests is of utmost importance to our Ladies and Gentlemen and to me personally; it is our goal to provide an exceptional stay from the moment you walk through our doors. Your review has been shared with our hotel leaders to ensure that we can only improve upon our service commitment to our most loyal guests. We hope to have the chance to welcome you and your husband and family back to ensure that your experience is exceptional. As a parent myself, I know how important this time must have been for you and I hope that the time in the city celebrating your daughters next step in life was memorable.
nyc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

The staff seemed confused about everything. The waiter at restaurant was not great and the concierge was one of the worst around. He was a young guy who obviously had no clue. I asked about hop on hop off tours. I asked if there are any discounts. He just replied no. I asked where to get the bus and then I asked the name of the bus company. He looked at me like I had two heads. Apparently he only knows of one bus company in Philly and there are a few. My mom also paid $200 towards the room as a gift. They got that wrong and charged her for the entire night plus tax and couldn't fix it until accounting came in. They wouldn't give me the bill print out either because it was paid for by my mom. Was very surprised that the people who worked at this upscale hotel were not better.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for providing detailed feedback. As for the service, it is very uncharacteristic of our Ladies and Gentlemen and we only hope that we are able to invite you back to improve upon our service commitment to you. We want you to know that your experience has been shared and comments have been addressed. The City of Brotherly Love has so much to offer and we hope you will return soon to experience that and so much more. If you return to the city, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me if you wish. We wish you all the best.
Holden Beach, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

First- this is an awesome location, hands down.

Close to everything and a great rate brought me in. The lobby felt like more of a w than a Ritz-- the concept was a bit off to me. (But I am not a fashion designer)

Once you get to your rooms, expect a great view! But the furniture and wall paper is old, dented, and a bit dirty.

I hope that Ritz puts some money in the hotel to keep up with some of the other hotels.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time and your feedback shared on our TripAdvisor page. Your positive comments are greatly appreciated as we are happy to know that our guests share a love for our building and its historic beauty and charm. With regards to comments shared about our rooms, we are currently in the planning phase of a renovation plan that will begin in the near future. We hope to see you again soon so we can experience the same great views of the city from our newly renovated space.
Lorain, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I had to book a room at the last minute for a three-day training in Philadelphia and I was pleasantly surprised to discover the $150.00 rate at a Ritz-Carlton property for two nights. This was my first stay at a Ritz property.
Pluses: beautiful hotel and lobby. Compared to my previous nights' cramped stay at the nearby Le Meridien, (the Ritz was completely booked the night before) I enjoyed a very spacious room with a streetside view. I really appreciated the fact I was able to take advantage of both a soaking tub and stand-up shower in the bathroom. Wonderful toiletries were a plus as well. I lucked out in being booked in a room tucked away from the main hallway and I really appreciated the peace and quiet. The furniture has seen better days, but everything was neat and clean (i.e. no mold in tub, no dust on furniture, etc.) Tip: there is a multi-story Walgreen's right across the street that is either open 24 hours or late at night where you can grab late-night snacks, soft-serve ice cream as well as a nice selection of drug-store and some higher-end cosmetics. Hotel employees were very courteous and helpful. I didn't have the opportunity to eat at the restaurant but I had a quick bite and two glasses of wine before my flight out and it was tasty and enjoyable.
The only real downside of my stay: when I booked the room, the representative told me there would be a $150.00 dollar hold placed on my credit card in addition to the 2-nights room and tax charge. When I checked into the hotel, the front-desk associate confirmed this information was correct. Yet, it was only after I checked into the hotel that I discovered the $150.00 hold was per-night, not per-stay. When I called and expressed concern about the inconsistent information previously provided to me, the front-desk associate just told me the hold was allready placed and nothing could be done.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed at the Ritz last Friday with a friend visiting from Seattle WA and two from London, UK.

Evidence of exceptional service:

1. Went outside to look for a quick snack. Going around the building there was a chef BBQing some hamburgers and hotdogs. Didn't know who was sponsoring the event...but certainly was assuming to pay for it. Walked up to the chef...he asked us if we were with the Ritz....and said yes...do you need to see my room key...he said, nope, no problem, what would you like. After being served, we looked around and seemed like the only people eating here was employees of the Ritz..not guests. Feeling a bit weird...a lady approached us and introduced herself, said she was with the housekeeping dept...said she welcomed us and if she could get us some ice cream..that she would (and did) go stand in line and bring it over to us with a smile. Apparently this was an employee appreciation function...but she managed to make us feel welcomed!

I had stayed at the Ritz Carlton Lake Tahoe property last fall with some other friends. When we arrived, the gentleman opening up the door for us looked familiar, and recognized him from Tahoe. He remembered who I was, welcomed us to the Philly Ritz....and later that night when we arrived back in our rooms after a day of sightseeing....a bottle of sparkling wine and a hand written note from the Valet wishing us all a wonderful stay. Good job Eric!

Later that night while enjoying some drinks down at the bar...the waitress was very friendly and had great conversations with her. We told her that we had visited the old Pennhurst Mental Hospital and the Eastern State Prison as part of a abandon, haunted buildings tour. She talked about living in south philly where an old hospital now lays vacant and is rumored to be haunted as well. She came later and had printed off info from the internet about this new place to visit. Extra effort for sure!

Finally, at breakfast the next morning, my friends from the UK asked the chef preparing the Omelet station whether or not they had baked beans for breakfast. Although common in the UK..a bit strange for the US. She said sorry, no they didn't....but after she had made my omelet, she had another chef cover her while she went to the kitchen to search for some baked beans...and can back with a hot cast iron skillet of freshly made baked beans just for my guest.

Unusual? I think so. At every opportunity...I was amazed at what lengths the staff went to make us feel exceptionally special. We never asked to be treated special...and we dress very casual, not pretentious about our appearances at all. Fantastic job Ritz!

Room Tip: Pay for a good room, get a good room. Not cheap... but a value nevertheless
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Minnetonka, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Was in Philadelphia and got stuck in a very small room with one nightstand, a small bed, no clock, and a window with blinds in the shower. Not sure if this is their standard room, but if it is save your money. I am a veteran traveler with many good stays at the Ritz chain, but this location is not up to the standards of the chain.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel in Philadelphia
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Darryll A, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience on our Trip Advisor page. As a loyal guest of the brand, I am pleased to let you know of an exciting renovation plan for our hotel in the near future. Again, thank you for taking time out of your day to share your comments as it is only through feedback that we are able to improve and continue to grow. I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the city of brotherly love.

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia? Share your experiences!