“Nothing special” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Cream Ridge, New Jersey
“Nothing special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

The welcome was great and then it went down hill. The rooms are small. For a luxury brand the rooms reminded me of a out dated Sheraton. The common areas are wonderful and grand. But we were disappointed with the rest of the stay. Next time it's the Hyatt for us.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Olivia B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Loockout,
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. If your time permits, I would love to have an opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail. I can be reached at 215-523-8242. T'hanks in advance and I look forward to speaking with you.
Olivia Brown, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Where to start. The TV that didn't work - during the Super Bowl! And the back that fell off of it in the middle of the night. Room service - without the silverware. Surcharges for the extra surcharges. I could go on but why bother? I fare better at the Hampton.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Olivia B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Zouave2K
I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience and valuable feedback with us. Please accept my personal apologies. I truly would welcome the opportunity to personally speak with you further about your experience as it is only through feedback such as your own that we are able to improve upon our service commitment to our guests. If you would be so kind as to give me a call it would be my sincere pleasure to speak with you. I can be reached at 215-523-8242.
Have a great day
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I love staying at the ritz in Philly. The staff is great and always ready to assist. The building was an old bank and therefore has the charm and ambiance of the old world. The rooms are very comfortable but does vary in size a bit depending on the direction you face. I preferred the top floors but beware of the bell tower across the street that chimes on the hour. Thankfully the chimes stop after 9pm so getting a good nights rest is possible. The concierge floor was great offering quite a bit of tasty delights. My only criticism is that of the water temperature and flow in the bathroom. It takes a few seconds for you to get hot water from the tap and as a result the water tends to be cold. Otherwise a great stay and I will most definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the main hallway.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Holland, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Disappointing. For the price and reputation, our room was so mediocre. This was a girls weekend and the double beds and single chair did not lend itself to a comfortable haven to hang out. I expected luxury and what I got was rather tasteless decor and blah surroundings. When I requested a different room, the response was less then accommodating. They eventually moved us to a suite which was slightly better with an admittedly phenomenal view of of City Hall. No honor bar, no sweet amenities upon turn down. Why all the fuss? The common area is spectacular, the bar and lounge a gorgeous place to hang out and imbibe. Location in Center City is ideal also. This is the last time I will book an upgrade hotel, I will stick to the boutique hotels with their style and character and unique amenities.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Olivia B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Michele L
Thank you for spending your girls weekend with us and taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay. I hope to have an opportunity to speak with you if your time permits. Please contact me at 215-523-8242 and it will be my pleasure to discuss your recent stay in more detail. I am thrilled that we were able to upgrade you to one of our lovely suite with a fantastic view of William Penn on top of City Hall. The view is priceless. In regards to our honor bars, we now offer a more personalized approach to delivering on our guest preferences. Our honor bars are stocked on request to allow us to deliver your favorite items and not just a generic list. I would also like to thank you for commenting on our spectacular our lounge and lobby area and recognizing that it is a great hang out spot. Have a great day and I look forward to speaking with you.
Bern, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

When it comes to rooms, appointments, amenities and service this is really just another large, good-quality chain hotel, with nothing that justifies the prices, nor lifts it to the level of the Ritz reputation. It does, however, have two attributes that are outstanding.

First is the location. Since it is just across the street, the hotel cannot be any closer to center city without becoming City Hall itself, and with that comes all the convenience of a superb location. It is situated in the center of the burgeoning Philadelphia dining scene and almost all of the historic landmarks are within walking distance. Furthermore, it is located above a major subway interchange.

Second is the lobby and lounge area. This is probably one of the most stunning interiors in the U.S. What a place to enjoy a cocktail; a definite must see!!! So, stop in for a drink but stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Olivia B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear IBSTours,
I have exciting news to share! We are currently in the begining phases of planning our upcoming rooms renovation. It is going to be incredible! Thank you for sharing how much you love spending time in our vibrant 10 Arts Lounge and being so close to steps of City Hall. Our historic building is definitely one of a kind. Did you know that this was once a bank? The building that our hotel is located in was the Girard Corn Exchange in 1951, Girard Bank in 1970, Mellon Bank in 1984. Our Rotunda building was designed by McKim, Mead, & White and was constructed between 1904 and 1908...."wow" what history lies in these walls. I would also like to share that 10 Arts Lounge now has live music running from Jan 4th to May 24th on Saturday evenings ( 6pm to 9pm) and Sunday morning ( 10;30 to to 2pm) for brunch.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The staff was pleasant but not too efficient. When we checked in we had no clue how to find the elevator and get to our room but we were left to carry our heavy bags around the cavernous lobby area looking for someone who could give us directions. Inexcusable for these prices! The lobby, an architectural marvel, was ruined by the continued boom of loud rock music that went right to our sternums and stressed us out! The food at the 10 Arts is unremarkable. I ordered a salad that came swimming in dressing and over-salted. The brunch is hardly worth the $35. The food sits out for hours resulting in warm yogurt and wilted fruit. The wait staff needs training. It was a sad and disappointing stay!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a city view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jeanne-Marie O

Thank You for taking the time to provide me with such valuable feedback. As you can image with a brand such as ours your feedback is extremely important in continuing to drive our strong service culture. If you are available, I would love the opportunity to speak with directly. I may be reached at 215--523-8242.
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Perfect get-away! beautiful and clean. Spectacular lobby area... room was beautiful. top corner room! Excellent room service. Very courteous staff. Only issue was no tv remote and took a few calls to receive, but that was minor in relation to our entire experience. :)

Room Tip: Corner room, high floor! LOTSa windows! Quiet!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia? Share your experiences!