“A "Junior" Ritz” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Providence, Rhode Island
“A "Junior" Ritz”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Don't get me wrong, the Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia is a lovely hotel, but does not quite make it to regular Ritz standards in some respects. Let's start with what's great...as you enter you can't help but be impressed with the expansive lobby...lovely. I have stayed here 3 times in the past 2 months and check in has been very inconsistent. My first time it was everything you would expect from a Ritz...extremely professional and polished...I didn't even notice the headsets they were wearing to communicate to some "Oz-like" master doling out the particular hotel rooms. The second time, not so smooth. I guess Oz was off his/ her game that day b/ c when I arrived at my room I was surprised to find housekeeping still cleaning it. Not the end of the world, but when I trudged back downstairs, I would have expected a little more concern for the error and inconvenience to me. I simply was given another room and off I went. Rooms are also inconsistent, first time was lovely, very nice updates. Second and third time, was a bit disappointed...furniture looked a bit old and carpet needed a refresher. Had lunch in the restaurant which was nice, and while the server was very attentive at first, he seemed to lose interest mid-way through and had to be tracked down a number of times ( note: it was not busy). A gold star to Bill, who runs the shoe-shine stand there....excellent service! So, while this is a lovely hotel in a great location, it is a Ritz after all and with that come high expectations, hence only 4 stars.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Spent an overnight here with my husband and another couple for leisure. This is probably one of the best hotels in Philadelphia. Perfect location within walking distance to the Convention Center, Reading Terminal Market and tons of great restaurants. Arrived early and had no problem in getting a terrific room. Right from the get go, we were greeted by doorman, bellman, front desk staff and just about any staff person who crossed our path. The concierge was very helpful in directing us to a great lunch spot and providing great walking directions. The rooms were spotless, very comfortable, and quiet. The lobby is beautifully appointed. All in all, I would choose this hotel over many others of the same price point.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Scarsdale, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed here over the New Year's holiday and were not particularly impressed, especially with the service, which is not something we have experienced in the past with Ritz-Carton. Over four days and three nights, there were consistent issues from the bell service, to housekeeping, to the Club staff. Even when I was contacted about feedback that I gave in a Gallup survey that was sent to me, the staff did not contact me when promised. On a more positive side, the lobby is beautiful and quite striking as you enter and the location is excellent as we walked to many interesting sites. The rooms are comfortable but are in need of updating and the gym is smallish and also could use some sprucing up. (for example the exercise mats were worn and did not look clean at all.) We had a much better stay in the past at Hotel Palomar in Philadelphia. I would recommend staying there instead.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed at The Ritz for a family wedding which was being held there. The hotel itself was ofcourse beautiful, clean etc but it was the staff that set it apart from others..The minute we stepped into the hotel the employess were outstanding. We were greeted with smiles at every corner and staff went out of their way to help anyway they could. we shared in many laughs and conversations. The conceirge Mark was a gem. They treated us like family, we didn't want to leave.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We were stuck in Philladelphia after our connecting flight was canceled while in the air. My travel agent booked us at the this hotel for two nights for our family of five. The staff was wonderful. Each person I encountered was friendly and quite helpful. They were so concerned of our situation since the airline did not release our bags and we did not have any winter clothing because we were returning from the islands. It was sub zero temps in Philly.

I do highly recommend booking a room on a high floor. Our first rooms were 703 and 702 at the corner of the building, facing City Hall. At night, you could hear the street noise which made it quite difficult to fall asleep. The next night the staff quickly moved us to a high floor and it made the difference. We stayed in 2210 which is by the elevator but did not have any issues with noise.

The location of this hotel is excellent. Across from the Macy's and Walgreens. And only a block away from Chestnut Street which has lots of high end shopping. We were able to make it to the North Face store and replenish our winter wardrobe.

Also, James the concierge was so helpful in arranging a three hour philly tour of the historic sites. The personal tour guide works for the history channel. He shared a lot of antedotes that we would have never learned on our own. The tour was pricey but worth it.

I think our rate for this hotel was reasonable with breakfast and an additional $100 food and beverage credit included. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: High Floor less street noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed here for two nights over the holiday season, the staff could not have been nicer. The lobby is lovely, great place to sit and have a drink. The only restaurant in the hotel is okay, good not great, but plenty of other options around. My only complaint really is no tubs in the rooms, only showers...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Wyomissing, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed here the weekend after Christmas to celebrate our anniversary. The hotel is beautiful. Our suite was absolutely gorgeous and pristine. They sent us champagne to celebrate our anniversary with a lovely note. The staff is outgoing and friendly and more than accommodating. We were both very pleased and will stay here again. The location is excellent--close to great restaurants and theaters. Can't say enough positive about it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia? Share your experiences!