“Luxury missing at the Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Credit Daily + More
Ranked #34 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Wayne, NJ
“Luxury missing at the Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Recently traveled for a weekend getaway to the City of Brotherly Love with a friend and family. We were staying in two different hotels so I was able to see how the Philadelphia Downtown Marriott compared to the Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia (10 minute walk between). I did read the reviews for the Ritz-Carlton but decided to keep an open mind and utilized the Amex Fine Hotels & Resort program. Readers be warned.

When we arrived we sat in our car waiting for the doormen to aknowledge us. My parents and friend were unloading the luggage and I hopped out asking the bellman if he's working today. We gathered our luggage and made it up the steps on our own. At check-in I was recognized as a Gold Elite Member and that my stay was booked under the Fine Hotels and Resort program. We did arrive early and were able to access our room around 1:00 p.m. We did not have a room with a view but did have a larger double/double and bath. Overall, the furnishings in the room have seen better days. The ottoman had visual wear as did the carpeting and furniture. The bathroom was updated and had a separate shower, bath tub area. There was a separate door for the toilet which works out well if you are traveling with others who need to use the bathroom. The large mirror outside the bathroom did not have access to an outlet so we needed to do our hair in the bathroom. Overall, furnishings and interior are very dated. Time to refresh to maintain luxory standards.

Location is good. Short walk to historic area as well as Rittenhouse Square. Plenty of dining options in walking distance as well as bars.

When we went to the Philadelphia Downtown Marriott I was pleased with the room and location. This room was on the top floor (23rd) and had a view of City Hall and Market Street. The room was a deluxe king and was adequate for two. The bathroom was nicely appointed and not oversized but what one would expect in any city. The furnishings and interior were modern and appeared in good condition as compared to the Ritz across the way.

On Saturday night, we sat in the lounge at the Ritz and enjoyed a late night drink and watched the wedding parties come and go. The vibe is young and hip and is a good place to sit and relax. They do serve small plates and light fare if you want to grab a late snack and drink. The service was spotty. We watched a couple come and sit on a lounger for more than 15 minutes and eventually the just got up and left. If you're not in a hurry and are looking for a place to sit and hang with friends or an intimate spot the lobby lounge may be worth the visit. Before we went to our rooms, we did advise the front desk that we'd be taking full advantage of the Amex Fine Hotels & Resort late check-out (4 p.m.) amenity and the front desk staff member made a notation on our room.

On Sunday morning we all enjoyed the buffet breakfast. Ian, the chef at the omelet bar, was very accommodating and an asset to the Ritz. He greeted each guest with a smile and made sure everyone found what they wanted. He even gave us some great sightseeing tips!!! Our server stopped back as well to ensure our hot beverages were adequate and we were content. My parents enjoyed the brunch dining experience. Ian even convinced my dad to try lox!

When we called down for our car in advance, we ended up standing outside waiting more that 30 minutes for our car from the valet. Apparently the wedding guests in the hotel all departed at the same time causing retrieval delays. The parking garage is off-site and is managed by an independent vendor. This of course was cutting into our museum time but we enjoyed the beautiful sun and view of city hall. After visiting the Philadelphia Museum of Art, we returned to the hotel and our keys did not work to our room. I asked the housekeeper to let us in to retrieve our luggage and reminded her we had a 4 p.m. late check-out. We asked the valet to leave the car parked in front of the hotel so that we didn't have to wait for the car again and he agreed.

At the time of check-out, my charges and bill was completely wrong. We were never credited for the lounge charges, complimentary breakfast for two guests, and remaining food credit. The front desk representative took more than 20 minutes to calculate and re-calculate the bill while my parents sat in the car with my friend. Once he thought it was resolved, I immediately noticed 2 overnight valet charges. He had to edit the bill again. Eventually my friend came to see what was taking me so long to check-out. Fortunately I had no time constraints but must say I've never had a problem with other Fine Hotel & Resort properties. Typically they have this done and right before the guest arrives.

Overall, I had an okay experience. I probably would opt to stay elsewhere because I don't feel the Ritz-Carlton was at a luxury level. I'd probably save on the room rate and stay at the Marriott Downtown Philadelphia and go to the Ritz for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to minimize street noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Milford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

From the moment we checked in to the second we departed we had stellar service and every need taken care of. Upon arrival our party was offered glasses of champagne which I declined due to my pregnancy. Out of the corner of my eye I saw another staff member who had been listening as I declined dart off and return immediately with a glass of sparkling cider. This is just one example of the staff's attentiveness which we experienced all weekend. I'd highly recommend the on-site spa as it was equal in service standards. We also had dinner at 10 Arts Bistro downstairs and loved that too! The only blip on our radar was that there was no pool. Everything else I would describe as simply wonderful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We've stayed in a number of other Ritz Carltons and this one was a bit of a disappointment. The staff and lobby are spectacular. The staff can't do enough for you and the old bank building that they use as a lobby is quite wonderful.

The room, however, was ordinary and not well-appointed or designed. The ottoman was stained, the lighting was inadequate and the low energy bulbs made it even harder to read at night. One side of the bed had no lighting at all. The linen is low thread count and the toilet paper is single ply. The headboard was chipped. The room decor was bland.

Seems like a bean-counter has taken over and cut back on the quality of the rooms. Not up to the brand's standards.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I had the most memorable experience in the Ritz. The room was huge and clean and the staff was top notch. I had my 6 year old with me and the staff went out of their way to make the stay very pleasant. Since we were jet lagged, we relied a lot on room service. Room service was prompt and delicious. We were thoroughly pampered and will definitely only stay here next time!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Emporia, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have seen some negative reviews of this property and am very surprised. My room was very clean, attractive and well maintained. It is a beautiful and elegant property and very conveniently located to the many attractions of Philadelphia. But it was the staff that made the best impression. This is the friendliest staff I have encountered in a hotel. That includes not just front desk, but everyone you encounter. They go out of their way to accomodate needs and desires and do it cheerfully and with a smile.
I attended at least 6 meals that were provided at the hotel and it provided very quality fare that would be the equivalent of what I would expect in a fine restaurant.
It would be hard to find anything to criticize about this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors on the north side have a great view of the historic city hall.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was surprised by the amount of traffic in and out of the lobby bar. They have great drink specials at happy hour and a nice glass of wine was $5. It seems like a bit of a hangout for locals which made it nice for a late nite drink after a nite out. I was there for a conference and the conference food and service was excellent. My room was a bit small but the bathroom was large and I had a great view of city hall and the William Penn statue. The location is the perfect point of departure to go from Rittenhouse Square to Society Hill and the doorman are friendly and helpful with umbrellas in case of rain. I didn't pay so I'm not sure about the price but I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

On our first night at the Ritz Carlton, Philadelphia, I got into the bathtub to wash off the day's travel. To my surprise, there was a ring around the tub comprising of hair shavings! The tub had a dirty hairy ring around it! I called down to the desk, they apologized and then stated that it would be taken care of the next day (and checked by supervising staff the next day) - it wasn't cleaned nor was it checked. I showered the rest of our stay. And, as I have already shared with this site, to top things off, I then had my items stolen that I purchased at King of Prussia's Nordstrom. The hotel stated that the items (a dress in a dress bag and some Spanx items) were inadvertently thrown away. This happened over the 4th of July weekend. As I write this note, it is July 25, 2013. Loss Prevention was\is extremely poor. Where is JD Powers with these issues and its review??????

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia? Share your experiences!