The magnificent lobby of this Philly Ritz belies the less-than-opulent state of its mostly humble guest rooms. The lobby, which features tons of imported marble holding up an enormous glass dome many stories high, is really impressive. But the rooms ... not so much. Our basic king-bed guest room, though clean, was pretty small. The adjoining bathroom (with a large glass-enclosed shower, a separate tub, and a separate closet for the toilet) was enormous, although it didn't stop us from feeling a bit disappointed when we walked into our plainly decorated, diminutive guest room.
The service at this Ritz, as it usually is at Ritz properties, was superb. But I would rather enjoy free Wi-Fi (the hook-up was about $10 for 24 hours), and somewhat reasonably priced meals than encounter a small army holding open the hotel's doors and showering me with greetings every time I come or go from the property.
We stayed over Christmas, so we were forced to order food from the Ritz restaurant because mostly everything nearby was closed. On the room-service menu, a grapefruit costs $6, plus tax, plus service charge. So it ends up being like an $8 grapefruit. Really? I know this is the Ritz, but a grapefruit is a grapefruit. The same grapefruit costs $4 if you walk down to the on-site restaurant and order it there, where a no-frills breakfast for two will probably run you 50 bucks. Parking is also $50 a night.
Ultimately, this place wasn't worth the price once we added up costs for the myriad meals and surcharges tacked onto our bill.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Walk in the footsteps of America’s forefathers and become a part of history. Stay in one of America’s most venerable cities at one of the finest hotels in downtown Philadelphia and absorb the character of landmark buildings as you spend your day exploring Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell and other cultural treasures. Making its mark in a spectacular historic building, the luxury Philadelphia hotel’s location offers easy access to fine dining, upscale shopping, and Philadelphia’s business district. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Priceline, Hotwire, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia Hotel Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Ritz Carlton
- Ritz Philadelphia