“The Ritz was excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Ithaca, New York
“The Ritz was excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is in a magnificent building. It is majestic.
The rooms were spacious and spotless. The views were incredible.
It does have a club lounge, but even if you are Platinum, the club lounge is an extra $150/day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

670 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Chester, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

It's consistently a good experience. Rooms are large, comfortable and clean. Front desk staff very friendly and accomodating. And you can't beat the location. Come for New Years Eve and watch the Mummer's parade the next day!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

So, apparently this is what a Ritz is these days. I haven't stayed in one for a while, but was attending a conference based in one so gave it a try. It only served to reinforce my stereotypes. I continue to prefer Four Seasons, Hyatts and boutiques. This is a hotel for people who like frumpiness and appreciate the overly-dramatic, intensive type of service.

For the price (and given the hotel name) the room is shockingly simple. There is a surprisingly small flatscreen TV. I had to move furniture to plug in my phone near the bed. Actually, good luck finding any power outlet that's not on the desk. The clock radio takes CDs (!) (there is no cord to plug in an iDevice). To its credit, the bed is very comfortable.

Internet service was ok. It stopped working a couple times, but quickly came back. Speeds are what you'd expect (poor).

The bathrooms were nice, but they didn't provide any amenities outside the usual. Also, the products were generic in plastic tubes. I expected more (eg, bliss/kiehls at competitors).

It has the usual over-priced breakfast; however, the order was delivered incorrectly (which they promptly and apologetically remedied). The bill was also wrong - the hotel added valet parking when I didn't have a car. The $8 bottled ice tea for sale on the bedside is a nice touch (well, $10 when you add taxes/fees)...

The service is great - staff was very helpful with a few specific requests. However, personally (guessing this is generational), I can't stand the over the top style of service they use here. It's stuffy and formal, annoying and uncomfortable. I don't need to wait for you to walk around the counter and bring me somewhere. The handoff from employee to employee. The way they take the door out of your hand to close it for you when leaving a guest room, etc.

Honestly, I don't get why people stay here. It is a poor value. The exterior is amazing, lobbies are nice and staff is friendly. However, the rooms are aged and simply functional and way out of sync with the pricing. With a solid renovation this could be a 4-5 star hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Newcastle, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was lucky enough to stay here for 2 nights in October 2012 while in town for a Barbra Streisand concert. There isn't a great choice of 5 Star hotels to choose from in Philly. The Four Seasons and the Ritz Carlton were the two top hotels that stood out to me, and the R.C. offered me the best deal, not to mention they have a Club Level, which the F.S does not. All of the staff who I came across at the hotel (Especially Jenna Meyer) were wonderful to deal with. All very friendly and accommodating. All of the staff who I passed in the hotel were friendly, and always said hello. My room was on the 24th floor (the club lounge is on the 30th floor incidentally). A fantastic king bed. Huge flat screen TV. Nice minibar with lots of drinks and snacks, and a WONDERFUL bathroom with walk-in shower, and separate bathtub. I ordered room service the night I arrived. It arrived within 20 mins... and was delicious. I presume the room service came from the trendy restaurant located inside the hotel. I visited the Club Lounge the day after I arrived (See the pix I posted). The best club lounge I've experienced in a hotel. I went for lunch. Amazing wraps, desserts, drinks, snacks. Turndown service was great. 2 chocolates on the pillow, not just one! The Ritz Carlton will be my first choice whenever I return to Philly. Thanks for a great room.. great service.. great stuff.. and amazing club lounge!

Room Tip: Upgrade your room to a CLUB LEVEL room.... You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Club level suite very nice. Good size room with excellent bathroom. Some noise from elevator an issue. Great view of William penn atop city hall. Clubbing w lovely paneled executive office of old. Great, attentive staff always ready to help. No champagne upon arrival, but ultra friendly welcome.

• Stayed November 2012
Watchung, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The marbled, neo-classical lobby under the dome of the old Cotton Exchange is a dramatic space that frames the bar and lounge and sections of the 10 Arts restaurant. The latter had good food, some of it inventive, and acceptable service. We arrived when the hotel was busy- and this is where the troubles started. We had booked adjoining rooms (one of us was suffering from the effects of recent treatment). One was ready upon our early arrival, but other was not. We were told we would be called on the cell when it was ready. We went out and toured around but at the appointed check-in time, 3:00 pm, our adjoining room still was not ready. When we asked for an explanation, we were told that the occupant had no checked out, had left the building, and had to be called back to vacate. That room would be cleaned and readied for us immediately upon his return. A few minutes later we were told that another room was available if we wanted it. We said we would wait to see if the adjoining room would free up. After an hou, it did not. We asked for the other room and were told that there was not a single room available in hotel. When we mentioned the room cited to us by the front desk, some doubling-checking ensued and we were again offered a room on different floor. We took it. So far so good- well not really. We had confirmed booking for two nights. After the first night a notice arrived under the door of both of our rooms saying it was time to check out. We contacted the front desk and were told that we only booked for one night. We corrected that misimpression by sending a copy of the hotel's email confirmation to us to the front desk. However, the electronic key system managed to lock us out of our room since it had only been programmed for a one night stay. We realize that the staff was under some stress with a full hotel. However, this is not the level of service or competence that we have come to expect from the Ritz-Carlton brand.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have conducted business in the NYC to Washington DC area for several years and never found a better spot than the Ritz Carlton in Phila. An easy day trip north or south permits you to stay in one place, great restaurants within walking and the most friendly staff of any hotel I frequent. I always feel at home

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia? Share your experiences!