“Overall very good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Overall very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Club level suite very nice. Good size room with excellent bathroom. Some noise from elevator an issue. Great view of William penn atop city hall. Clubbing w lovely paneled executive office of old. Great, attentive staff always ready to help. No champagne upon arrival, but ultra friendly welcome.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The marbled, neo-classical lobby under the dome of the old Cotton Exchange is a dramatic space that frames the bar and lounge and sections of the 10 Arts restaurant. The latter had good food, some of it inventive, and acceptable service. We arrived when the hotel was busy- and this is where the troubles started. We had booked adjoining rooms (one of us was suffering from the effects of recent treatment). One was ready upon our early arrival, but other was not. We were told we would be called on the cell when it was ready. We went out and toured around but at the appointed check-in time, 3:00 pm, our adjoining room still was not ready. When we asked for an explanation, we were told that the occupant had no checked out, had left the building, and had to be called back to vacate. That room would be cleaned and readied for us immediately upon his return. A few minutes later we were told that another room was available if we wanted it. We said we would wait to see if the adjoining room would free up. After an hou, it did not. We asked for the other room and were told that there was not a single room available in hotel. When we mentioned the room cited to us by the front desk, some doubling-checking ensued and we were again offered a room on different floor. We took it. So far so good- well not really. We had confirmed booking for two nights. After the first night a notice arrived under the door of both of our rooms saying it was time to check out. We contacted the front desk and were told that we only booked for one night. We corrected that misimpression by sending a copy of the hotel's email confirmation to us to the front desk. However, the electronic key system managed to lock us out of our room since it had only been programmed for a one night stay. We realize that the staff was under some stress with a full hotel. However, this is not the level of service or competence that we have come to expect from the Ritz-Carlton brand.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have conducted business in the NYC to Washington DC area for several years and never found a better spot than the Ritz Carlton in Phila. An easy day trip north or south permits you to stay in one place, great restaurants within walking and the most friendly staff of any hotel I frequent. I always feel at home

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

iiMy wife and I recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton for a Friday evening wedding (even though we live in a Philadelphia suburb). By the end of the evening, I was prepared to write a spectacular review. From the champagne offered to us as we checked in, to the attentive service of the gentleman who shined our shoes, we were very impressed with how well run the hotel seemed to be. I was particularly thankful to the catering staff, and Chef Patrick and his team of waiters - I have a food allergy, and had called ahead. When the wedding began, the staff was aware of my needs, and had prepared alternative meals for the courses I could not eat. I have resigned myself to spending effort and time to explain my allergies to wait staff who always seem surprised that I am attending an event, but here my every need was anticipated, not only with an accomodation, but with excellent food.

Then we tried to go to sleep after the wedding. Unfortunately, the lamp by the side of the bed was linked to the hall entrance light - shutting off the entrance light also completely disabled the outlets by the bed. I need electricity to power a medical device at night, so when the choice seemed to be doing without my medical needs, or sleeping in a fully lit room, I called the front desk. An engineer, was promptly dispatched to our room. It turned out that a plug hidden behind the bed caused the problem; the engineer changed how the lamps and other appliances
were plugged in, and had left by 12:30.

I don't know if that was the responsibility of the maintenance staff, of housekeeping, or someone else from the hotel, but I unfortunately the image I will take away from this visit wil be waiting for the building enineer in the middle of the night, rather than the well run wedding and catering staff.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Spent one night here on business and stayed on the Club Level. The Club was rather a small room but all the amenities were there and the Concierge Camilla was extraordinary. If you are staying at this hotel ask for a room where the bed is not up against the hallway wall. Every time someone opens or closes their door the sound runs along the wall and wakes you up. We had dinner in the 10 Arts restaurant in the lobby. Save your money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have the headboard up against the wall corridor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Made a rez for three nights but only stayed two...it was that disappointing. What champagne upon arrival? We couldn't even find a bellman! Room was small, dirty (found food on the rug and an old sock behind a curtain...afraid to look under bed). asked for extra towels three times and only got them when a manager intervened. I am lifetime platinum with ritz and have never stayed in one oftheir propertiesthat was so bad. A breakfast one morning, the food manager (Will) asked us how our stay was and he did everything he could to make it right...he was terrific, really represented the brand well. But too much water under the bridge...this is really much more like a Marriott...and a mediocre one at that!

Room Tip: Get one at another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was a nice hotel. It was just a one night stay for us so I cant comment on many of the detials. I will say that the staff was great...very helpful... Our room was just ok. The lobby was nice (as pictured on their website) although not really my style. I found it a little cheesy. Champagne upon arrival and good coffee in the lobby when I wake up - that cant be bad!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a larger bathroom. I think we paid a bit more for it, but worth it for us.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia? Share your experiences!