“Decent location and price, somewhat run-down” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Windsor Suites

You added The Windsor Suites to your Saves list
The Windsor Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly Hotel Windsor) (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
2015 Flower Show
Ranked #21 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Iowa City, Iowa
“Decent location and price, somewhat run-down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a few times for work, most recently in October 2012. Check-in is quick and easy, and the staff are generally professional and helpful. The rooms are large, but kind of dingy and oddly configured. As the name of the hotel implies, each room is a suite with a kitchenette. The location is convenient for walking to the PMA or catching the Phlash (tourist bus). Room service is provided by the Irish pub connected to the lobby. The food isn't great, but it's fine. Some rooms have a lingering smell of cigarette smoke. Overall a reasonable choice considering price and location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Director of Sales at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Camwold,
Thank you for your review, and for being a repeat guest of The Windsor Suites. We are excited to let you know that we approaching the final phase of our guest room upgrades, and expect the arrival of our new furniture and furnishings shortly. We are confident that you will be pleasantly surprised on your next visit.
Thank you again for choosing The Windsor Suites!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on Thanksgiving Eve with our 18 month old daughter. We had called a few days before to see if we could upgrade to a room with a balcony, this way we wouldnt have to take our daughter down in the cold & crowds. Unfortunately, it was out of our price range. The girl I spoke to on the phone said that she would still request the room for me, but I didn't get my hopes up. When we checked in we were told that we were being given a complimentary upgrade to a king suite with a balcony!! It was perfect for our little family!! We walked 1/2 mile to Maggianos and picked up take out and brought it back to our room to eat in the dining area. The seperate living and bedroom areas were wonderful, we were able to put our daughter to bed at 7:30 but not be confined to our bedroom with the TV on mute, it was perfect! In the morning my husband went across the street and grabbed subway for breakfast and we watched the parade from the comfort of our room on the balcony.

This hotel was in a great location with a wonderful and accomodating staff. We will stay here everytime we go to Philly!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear StacyF,
We are pleased when we receive such an endorsement of our hotel from our guests. It lets us know that we are doing something right, and we thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We are happy you were able to watch the Thanksgiving Parade from the comfort of your suite. Please know that there is always a huge demand for our balcony suites for the parade, so if you plan on being back next year, now is not too early to reserve your suite. Please call us directly to do so, on our reservations line at 215-981-8980. We hope to see you again soon!
Thank you, from all of us at The Windsor Suites.
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Was able to book a (very) last minute room for the race - I participated in the half-marathon. The location was PERFECT! I got up at 6AM and left at 6:30AM for the 7AM start just a few blocks away. Nice to have that luxury!

The hotel is fine. Reception is nice, staff is friendly and helpful. We were upgraded to a Suite - and it was huge! We had a living room, small kitchen with a fridge and dishwasher (!) and a nice sized bedroom. The room was clean and not outdated, though not updated... the bathroom though, appeared to be on the newer side.

Parking was $29 plus tax in garage that is next door.

We paid a lot to stay here (Saturday night, race weekend). I am not sure I'd stay here again unless the rate is competitive with other nearby hotels.

Room Tip: Suites have a balcony, some face the scenic Ben Franklin Parkway!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear smep013,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. Our location makes us very popular for the marathon as well as events at the nearby Pennsylvania Convention Center, which made for a very busy weekend. Typically, we would be sold out, so the key is to always book early to take advantage of any promotional rates that would be available.
We are happy you enjoyed your upgraded suite. We are anticipating the completion of our room updates shortly, and we are sure you will be pleased at the change on your next visit. We look forward to seeing you again soon, and thank you for choosing our hotel.
Best regards,
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Traveled to Philadelphia with my two adult sons for some history and football. I chose the Windsor Suites for its location and the sleeping arrangements of the room. I needed a room with 3 separate sleeping spots and this was one of the few I could find. Our suite had a separate bedroom with two double beds, pull out sleeper sofa, large walk in closets, well equipped kitchen and balcony looking over the city. It was perfect. Easy walk to The Franklin, Rocky Steps and Suburban rail station. I took advantage of an online special and prepaid for a great deal. We ate two breakfasts at the Irish pub in the hotel and although a little pricey it was good.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hi Ronnyber,
We appreciate you sharing your experiences on your recent stay. We are happy to have served your needs both with our amenities and location, and we hope that you will visit us again soon.
Thank you for being our guest!
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was very happy I found this hotel. The price was very reasonable as Philadelphia hotels are generally expensive. The location was ideal as I had planned to see the Barnes Foundation and the Titanic Exhibition at the Franklin Institute.

The people working the recpetion desk were very friendly. I arrived at 11:30am, and they actually had a room ready for me, which was nice. The room was very large with a kitchen that had a microwave and dishwasher. There was a large walk-in closet that had a safe. The bed was fantastic, one of the most comfortable Ive seen in a hotel. Bathroom was nice with bath accessories from Bed, Body, and Bath. Each morning there was a newspaper at my door.

My only quibble, and its a very small one was that wifi wasnt very good, it only worked in the kitchen; but hey it was free so I guess I shouldnt complain.

I'd stay again :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel is in a fantastic location, within walking distance to most attractions and many awesome restaurants. We did the on-off bus tour, but honestly, we probably could have easily walked to all of the places we visited (note: we are walkers, and enjoy being on foot to see the sites!). The hotel staff could not have been more helpful, with providing directions, a map, and wonderful restaurant recommendations. The room was a great size, very clean, comfortable and quiet. And, most importantly, the value for the price could not be beat! We were very impressed with our stay here and would highly recommend it!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel is located right next to Surburban station giving you direct access to the Philly central station and airport. One more block and you can access the trolley station. It is located in the museum district giving you access to the museums within a few blocks. Furthermore a nice 15 min walk and you are at the opera/theater and the nice shopping area. In order to get to the historic area you should use the trolley.
I arrived somewhat tired and sweaty directly from the central station and was greeted with a smile. I got my keycard (which also had to be used to access the elevator). My room was on the 8th floor and it was really nice. It was very spacious with a big walk-in closet with a safe, fully equipped kitchen, and a king size bed. A big 32" flatscreen, desk and a small table and chairs as an eating place. The room was very clean which included the oven, microwave, stove etc. The kitchen had towels, detergent for the dishwasher, big refrigerator and coffee maker. The bathroom was equally big with fresh towels. The view was mostly some other high buildings but it was nice that it did not face the street. The room was in general very quiet although I could here the neighbors somewhat.
The cleaning of the room was in general very fine however each day they seemed to forget to replace something either the towels, glasses, kitchen towels etc. Kind of strange as something was missing each day. However it was not anything that spoiled my stay.
On the same floor there was a washing room with a washing machine and dryer. They worked excellent and was very inexpensive ($2 for the washing machine and $2 for the dryer). The room was again very clean and the machines looked kind of new.
The staff at the front desk was very helpful and answered all my questions with a smile. There is complimentary WIFI in the room which in general did work ok. I did have some problems with the WIFI and contacted the front desk. They tried to help and told me I would be contacted by someone from the company maintaining the WIFI. That never happened so for a couple of days the internet did not work. They do have some computers in the lobby with acces to both the internet and printers.
I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights and it was excellent. There is some restaurants in the building which I however did not try. There is also a bar at ground level which is quit nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Windsor Suites? Share your experiences!