“Weekend in Philly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Windsor Suites

You added The Windsor Suites to your Saves list
The Windsor Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly Hotel Windsor) (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed and Breakfast!
Ranked #23 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Camano Island, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

First the reviews are a bit confusing. This is because there are mulitple ways to get a room here. There are long term apartments, furnished and unfurnished, Rooms by the night and what I did, Extended Stay by Marriott. I was in town for 6 weeks and rented a one bedroom furnished apartment. The building is a bit dated, but you have a large porch (no furniture) with large sliding glass doors to take in the views. The bed was new and the carpet and paint looked new also, the full kitchen was up to date. The furniture such as couch, tables, TV stand looked quite old and the living room furniture wasn't very comfortable, but for the price it was livable. The staff was very nice. The morning sun through the large glass windows would easily overwhelm the AC so I kept the curtains closed in the mornings. A funny thing going on in this large concrete building was the ongoing implementation of new low volume toilets that used some sort of airtank to save water. The first time you flush you almost have a heart attack from the sudden almost explosive sound. I even warned a guest and it still scared them when they flushed!!! As the weeks passed it became apparent that more and more rooms were being retrofitted as in the quiet of the early morning you could hear the faint flushing of toilets around the building, sounding somewhat like depth charges going off in submarine movies, it didn't wake me up, but was just funny to hear!!

If you are doing extended stay you should call the desk and arrange for your own Cable box with DVR and internet access. The hotel has adequate stuff, but the cost per month is way cheaper than I expected and delivered much better bandwidth and channels on your TV.

This was a great location within walking distance of the Philadephia Museum of Art, downtown, City Hall, Love Park and the various trains around the city and to where I was working by the Redding Terminal Market. Car rentals at Hertz downstairs were very cheap for the weekend when I needed to get out of town. Warning, the kitchen is nice, but not many grocery stores in the neighborhood, there is a whole foods about a mile away so take an empty backpack if you are walking!

The workout room is the only real complaint I had about the place, it had a weird assortment of equipment and some of it wasn't working right, and it just had a dingy depressing feel to the place. I guess if you are in Phildelphia and need a workout run down to the Museum and visit around the Rocky Statue!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We chose this hotel for several reasons: we were planning to spend a lot of time visisting the wonderful art museums Philadelphia has to offer and the Windsor Suites is a comfortable walk to the Barnes Museum, the Rodin Museum, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art. It's also very convenient to public transportation (from the airport, you can take a train to the Suburban Station, which is just a couple blocks from the Windsor Suites), and it's very convenient to hop a bus to get to the historic sites (Independence Hall, etc.). We liked having a kitchenette (Philadelphia has a lot of good restaurants, but we still wanted to be able to make a quick breakfast or heat up restaurant leftovers, etc.). The price was pretty reasonable compared to others. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.

We spent three nights initially. We had a comfortable, attractive room. These suites are set up for longer stays, so there was a HUGE walk-in closet, so we didn't need to keep a lot of stuff laying around the room. The kitchenette was roomy and clean (considering that the suites are setup for longer term stays, I think it could be a little better stocked with equipment, but the basics were there).

We enjoyed our stay and, when we decided to come back for a couple days after we toured the Brandywine Valley, we booked here again. An added bonus was that they have laundry rooms (I think on every floor) and it was great to be able to wash a load of clothes -- some floors the machines require a card and others are coin operated. When the machines on our floor required a card, I called down to the desk and learned the machines on the floor below were coin operated. This was a small inconvenience.

Room Tip: On our second stay, we had the same room type, but in the second room we had a comfortable upholster...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My children wanted to give me a special gift for my 50th birthday so my daughter went online in search of a hotel where we could spend the night after a trip to Philly to see the sights. She chose The Windsor Suites hotel and rented 2 suites. My room had a balcony which I loved. The hotel was very nice and clean. The rooms were big, with a full kitchen, and comfortable beds. I would definately stay there again. It was close to just about everything, museums, Franklin institute, Rittenhouse square, and surrounded by awesome buildings with beautiful architecture, works of art and many other great things to see. You can actually walk to the different places if you enjoy walking. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to spend some time in Philly.

Room Tip: Try to get a room towards the front or the east side of the of the hotel with a balcony and maybe a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend trip to attend a Philadelphia Eagles game for 2 nights.

Service: When we got there, we realized the only way to park on the premesis was to valet park. This was about $35 a day. Overall this is ok because of the money we saved on the hotel itself. When in the hotel, everyone we spoke to was very friendly and informative.

In terms of price, we could not find a better deal than this downtown with the ratings it was getting.

Rooms: I was quite surprised to see that the rooms were very large! It had a walk-in closet and a fridge/stove. The room was very clean when I got there. There were a couple of downsides to the rooms however that I will mention. 1) The heating and airconditioning run on the same switch. When I sleep, I like the cold and had to open the window to get that. I would suggest separate switches for AC and Heat. 2) I didn't realize to I got there but some of the rooms had balconies. A helpful tip would be to ask for one because the view is quite nice. I didn't get one so consider this point a negative based on my personal experience. 3) Vending Machines, there was 1 on our floor for pop only. If you wanted a good one, you had to go downstairs to get to one.

Location: Perfect. You can walk to museums and are downtown. Good shopping about 10 mins away. To get to the stadiums, we only had to walk 5 mins to a subway then take a 15 minute subway to the stadiums which was perfect.

Food: Not great. There was no free breakfast but there was a bar/restaurant in the hotel that served. The average price for breakfast was about 10-15$. You can get the same breakfast about 5 mins away for half of that.

Overall I would stay here again because of the value for the dollar. Just remember when here to bring food and utilize the fridge and stove.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

A comfortable, clean, well-priced and friendly hotel with a great downtown Philadelphia location. The WiFi connection was slow. That would have bugged me on a business trip but wasn't a problem for this getaway long weekend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Director of Sales at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear CharmCityTraveller,
We thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Philadelphia, and for sharing your feedback. We are happy when our guests leave happy, and look forward to accommodating you again in the near future.
Thank you!
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Staff were helpful, efficient and friendly. Hotel is clean and well located. A great choice for any Philly vacation. Staff helped with advice, luggage, hailing a cab. Excellent.

Get a ticket on the Hop on/hop off tour and catch it right across the streeet. Very convenient. A short cab ride from Amtrak.

The asian restaurant adjacent was excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Director of Sales at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Hi Jill H,
We are happy you had a great time at The Windsor Suites and in Philadelphia. Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your experience. We hope to see you again soon.
Regards,
The Windsor Suites

Been to The Windsor Suites? Share your experiences!