“Never Again!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Windsor Suites

Save Saved
You added The Windsor Suites to your Saves list
The Windsor Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly Hotel Windsor) (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free parking!
Ranked #24 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
“Never Again!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I will state that the hotel was in a great location. It was basically in walking distance (1 mile or less) to most of the attractions, plus it was close to phlash attractions bus stop. I will finish with the worst customer service ever encountered in a hotel. The parking rates are unbelievable! $40/day?!? Really?!? Then be prepared to unload your vehicle yourself. When I went to check-in at 2, there were no rooms available. How do you not even have 1? Oh but they do, as long as I was willing to pay more money for it. So, I made a comment that the hotel just nailed me for parking and I'm not interested in spending anymore money. I also stated that it's an hour from the check-in how can you not have not have one room? After I expressed how ridiculous it was, suddenly there was a room. During my stay, every time walked by the front desk there were dissatisfied customers. Leaving, I asked for a luggage cart, and I quote " did you look for one?" and the front desk clerks were too busy talking about what they are not going to do to help me. That was it. Found a luggage rack, dragged it to my room and took it to my car myself. I checked out early! I loved how the hotel employees watched me struggle with the luggage and wouldnt help until i said something. At that point, I found them rude! Way to go employees, you were my first and last impression of Philly, and left a sour tAste in my mouth! By the way, the elevators are ridiculously slow! Wait time = 10 minutes!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Director of Sales at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Kim D,
It seems that we fell short of your expectations on your recent visit, and I would like to sincerely apologise for that. This is not the kind of guest service we are known for, and we are looking into your comments to correct what went so wrong during your stay.
I wanted to take the opportunity, however, to address a couple of issues that caused you frustration.
Despite rates in the $40+ range amongst similar garages in this area, we have managed to keep our rate lower at $34.80 including tax, as well as offering unlimited in/out, and the opportunity to keep your car until 6pm on your checkout date, at no added cost to you. I apologise if this came as a shock, as we do try to provide this information when booking.

Sometimes it might seem unbelievable that even one room is unavailable for check-in at 2.00pm, but if guests linger beyond the checkout time, or a group arrives earlier than expected as it did on that day, this becomes possible.
It is never our wish to have guests wait for a room to be ready, but if the room type you booked is unavailable before the check-in time of 3.00pm, we will offer the option to upgrade to another available room type, so you are able to check in early. It seems that this is what happened on this occasion.
The good thing, however, is that our Housekeeping Department is constantly updating cleaned rooms in our system, and as one became available for you then, and we were able to assign it to you.
Kim D, we do appreciate you sharing your comments, and we promise that our goal is to fix these issues that took away from your stay. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to get it right next time.
Regards,
The Windsor Suites.

591 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Sanford, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

First the pros - location is great. It's a very reasonable walk to many restaurants, museums, convention center, etc. My room was large and comfortable. I really had no need for the kitchenette but I'm sure others would appreciate it. And as best I could tell the room was fairly clean.

Now the cons - ice makers only on even numbered floors. Stunk to have to walk up and down a flight of steps just to get ice. The wi-fi was spotty as best. Sometimes it worked perfectly. Others I couldn't get a signal at all. The property has some age on it and it shows in places. For example the elevators are tiny. No way could you get more than 3 people on at a time and even less if anyone had luggage.

I certainly wouldn't rate the hotel as "bad", but for the price I paid it did not meet my expectations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dover, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My son and I stayed there in September 2012. It was our first time in Philadelphia. We picked the Hotel because it was within walking distance to the Benjamin Franklyn Parkway Museum area and the music venue grounds. Very helpful and friendly staff. We got there early and they were very helpful in valeting our car and storing our luggage. The room was very large and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in august 2012. The room was big and clean. The swimmingpool on the rooftop is great! We'll have a nice view. Hotel is in the middle off the city and therefore it is a great location. Neighbourhoud is safe.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Director of Sales at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Hi Kim V.,
Thank you for your feedback on our property. We are pleased you were able to enjoy our rooftop swimming pool, as well as our convenient location. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Philadelphia.
Thank you for being our guest, and for your comments.
The Windsor Suites.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Hotel was overall very good for the price. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean and up to date. Having the kitchen worked well - bought groceries at a nearby Whole Foods.
Internet worked fine for email and getting info on philly- it was a little slow when downloading videos. Liked that it was within walking distance of the Barnes Foundation museum and the Philadelphia Art Museum (which is a must see!). Pool felt good at end of long day of sightseeing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Judy M M,
We are always very pleased when our guests leave happy. It means that we have done something right, and we appreciate you letting us know.
I thought I should let you know that we have just upgraded our wifi system to offer more bandwidth options, so I am sure you will have a better experience with it on your next visit.
The museums are a must-see, and our prioximity to the Barnes Foundation Museum as well as the Philadelphia Museum of Art make for a pleasant stroll along the Ben Franklin Parkway.
Thank you again for being our guest. We hope to see you again soon.
The Management and Staff of Windsor Suites.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

We only stayed 1 night! But wish it was longer, Philly is great do much to see and only had 1 day and night. :-(
Hotel is an older one but wow! After our 3 nights in the cramped dirty Hudson in NY it was fab to walk into our room on the 7th floor.
The bed was huge! The room had plenty space, there was a cupboard for cases, a walk in dresser room, bathroom and kitchen!!
It was clean, comfortable and I have no complaints.
The pool area was lovely too, we took breakfast up there and enjoyed the morning sunshine.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Tillynamber,
Thank you for being our guest! It seems you were pleasantly surprised by the space and amenities in your room, and we are thrilled to know that.
We look forward to your return visit, to complete your sightseeing of the city.
Thank you again, and for your lovely comments.
The Staff and Management of The Windsor Suites.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised at the size of this room! It had two queen (maybe king? not sure, didn't pay enough attention to that) beds, balcony with awesome views, full kitchen, two closets, bathroom. It was bigger than most apartments I've had in Boston. Some of the furniture was slightly worn, but the cleanliness, welcoming staff, and easy access to two restaurants and the rest of downtown make that facet not even noticeable! Another slight problem we had was the A/C unit...it was obviously old and a little clunky/noisy, but not a problem at all, we both slept soundly and I do not usually fall asleep easily. On top of that, although it's "downtown," the rooms are quiet.

The bathroom was very updated and everything, can I mention again, CLEAN! That's the most important thing for me, so I always notice that primarily. It was nice to have a full balcony to see the views.

I'm not sure if the restaurants attached to the hotel are officially part of the hotel, but we went to the "con murphy" pub and it was so-so. We chose outside seating and a particularly noisy and obnoxious party parked next to us. The staff was accommodating in moving us inside. The food was not great, though. The chicken tenders were barely fried - although fresh, not frozen, which is great. I had the caesar salad (I know, not a great choice for an irish pub, but I checked with the waitress and she said it's a pretty good salad). I'd have to disagree with her. The dressing was not tossed in the salad, and the chicken was served on the side. Barely any parmesan. My husband's philly cheesesteak was a joke. When I saw it I knew I didn't even want to try it...barely any cheese, dry, small. Servers were attentive and nice. The other restaurant is an asian place that we didn't go to.

Parking - when we dropped the car off, we were asked what time we'd be getting it when we leave. I said "checkout time I guess," the guy said, "well that's 6 pm, so when?" that was totally confusing to me, why would checkout time be 6 pm? I said we'd pickup around noon. When we did head down to checkout, it was 11:05. We got a knock on the door from someone authoritative sounding who yelled through the door "checkout time is 11 am!" I replied that we were on our way (literally grabbing our bags at that moment). She waited outside our door until we actually left the room. That cheapened the whole experience...it was a great hotel until we were essentially escorted out because we were 5 minutes late. It was a monday morning...I doubt they had a line of maids to clean that room immediately, and guests lined up waiting.

My only other complaint is the elevators. The buttons didn't respond half the time I pushed them, repeatedly. That piece needs updating.

Other than that, this is a great hotel. They need to be a little more hospitable with the check-out process. I am not a teenager who needs to be escorted out. That was insulting. If the management were to respond to that and I'd need to go back to philly, I'd stay there again. Definitely recommended for long-term temp. housing needs, that kitchen must be helpful.

Room Tip: There's a cab stand right around the corner...ask the desk to direct you. Parking was $23/night...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Director of Sales at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Andrea S,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. It was detailed, and we appreciate that as it helps us to identify areas for improvement, as well as those we can cheer about. I wanted to take the opportunity to update you on some of the issues you mentioned.
As a part of our ongoing guestroom upgrades, we are expecting our new furniture in shortly, and we know this will only add to our amazing space.
Please accept our apologies for the experience with our housekeeper. They are always eager to get their rooms properly cleaned on time for arriving guests, and unfortunately, this may not have translated into the kind of guest service that we are known for.
Our check-out time is 11am, however, hotel guests who use the garage are offered the opportunity to keep their vehicle in until 6pm on checkout day, allowing you extra time to complete your business in the city without incurring extra parking charges. We are sorry that this created a mis-understanding, and we will do better at communicating that.
Although the restaurant operates separately, our one goal is to ensure guest satisfaction. Your comments have been passed on to them for improvement.
We are happy you had a great stay, and got to enjoy some of the special features of our hotel- the incredible apartment-style room size, location, staff……we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us!
The Management and Staff of The Windsor Suites.

Been to The Windsor Suites? Share your experiences!