We stayed at The Alexander Inn over Easter, and found that it was the employees, especially the friendly and helpful gentlemen at the Front Desk, who truly made this Inn fabulous. They're a fun, jovial, helpful crew and take the time to make each visitor feel welcome. Listen to their recommendations on bars and restaurants, they won't steer you wrong. We enjoyed wonderful dinners and cheap, tasty strong martinis thanks to them.
I've read reviews prior to booking that the Alexander was gay-friendly, but what I think really needs to be said about it is that it's *people* friendly. We felt welcome there in a way you don't when you stay at a major chain. The cleanliness, computer access, gym, and the inexpensive rates were all nice features too, but it was the employees who made the difference.
Yes, all of the reviews you read about the tiny rooms and beds are true. And, yes, the Continental Breakfast is mostly sugar (but the coffee wasn't bad). But all in all, I'd highly recommend The Alexander. If you love to explore a city on foot as we do the location is great for a walking tour. Philly is a walking friendly city, even for those not in the best shape or older. It's flat, full of interesting sites, with convenient crosswalks. And if you're a walker, and not on a strict time itinerary, why not take the train into town? It's a cheap ride (but they do usually run a late, from my experience, so if you need to be there at an exact time, it won't be a good choice for you). The Alexander is only two miles from the train station, and it's an quick jaunt, easily handled with a wheeled suitcase or backpack. That way you'll avoid parking problems and save money on parking too boot! It's all extra money for cheese-steaks (wit' or wit' out onions).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A charming boutique hotel with 48 designer rooms, private baths, Hi speed wireless internet, in-room safes, DirecTV with 8 complimentary movie channels, great artwork, breakfast buffet, fitness center, historic tours from our door, discounted indoor parking nearby, a friendly staff and reasonable and consistent rates from $119. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your Alexander Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexander Hotel Philadelphia
- Alexander Inn Philadelphia