I've been meaning to review the Alexander Inn for months and kept forgetting to - my boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights in August of 2009 on a vacation through Southeast PA. We had never been to Philadelphia, and being young and on a tight budget we were afraid we wouldn't find an affordable hotel in the middle of the city. I stumbled upon the Alexander Inn thanks to tripadvisor, and thought the reviews painted a pretty picture. I called them directly to inquire about rates, location, etc - the gentleman on the phone was so pleasant, friendly and helpful that I was sold!
Getting to the hotel was a bit of a challenge for a first-time visitor to Philly, but the directions the staff provided were pretty good. We were able to park on the street, unload and then park our car a few blocks away at a city garage for a discounted rate thanks to the coupon the Alexander Inn gave us (another check in the "good hotel" column). We did not get the car again until we left.
The room itself was VERY small - smaller than we had anticipated - but we also got the least expensive room. It was tight, but cute. Nice view of the street - the area the hotel is in is vibrant and colorful --- lots of great nightlife and restaurants.
We walked everywhere we went - just a few blocks away from the hotel was a Philly Plash station - $2 a trip and we could go all over Philly. It was awesome. We walked all they way to Independence Square - about a 15-20 min hike - not bad at all. The Alexander Inn was close to everything and the restaurants right around the hotel were delicious. I especially recommend Monk's --- maybe a 10 min walk.
The hotel itself was cute, art-deco inspired and very well-kept. We ended up staying and extra day and moved into a larger room our last night - what an improvement! Not that the small room was terrible - it was just very tight for 2 people. The next room up was only 20 or 30 dollars more and had double the space.
What I appreciated most, however - was the staff and the service. They were so kind and courteous - always full off suggestions of great places to eat, see and experience. And unlike larger chain hotels that forget you as soon as you leave the desk - the staff really went the extra mile to make you feel at home. They would greet you each time and remember you!
I hope to get back to Philly again - and if we do, we will definitely stay at the Alexander Inn (but in that larger room)!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A charming boutique hotel with 48 designer rooms, private baths, Hi speed wireless internet, in-room safes, DirecTV with 8 complimentary movie channels, great artwork, breakfast buffet, fitness center, historic tours from our door, discounted indoor parking nearby, a friendly staff and reasonable and consistent rates from $119. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Travelocity so you can book your Alexander Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexander Hotel Philadelphia
- Alexander Inn Philadelphia