“Friendly, Affoardable Destination” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Ohio
“Friendly, Affoardable Destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

I've been meaning to review the Alexander Inn for months and kept forgetting to - my boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights in August of 2009 on a vacation through Southeast PA. We had never been to Philadelphia, and being young and on a tight budget we were afraid we wouldn't find an affordable hotel in the middle of the city. I stumbled upon the Alexander Inn thanks to tripadvisor, and thought the reviews painted a pretty picture. I called them directly to inquire about rates, location, etc - the gentleman on the phone was so pleasant, friendly and helpful that I was sold!

Getting to the hotel was a bit of a challenge for a first-time visitor to Philly, but the directions the staff provided were pretty good. We were able to park on the street, unload and then park our car a few blocks away at a city garage for a discounted rate thanks to the coupon the Alexander Inn gave us (another check in the "good hotel" column). We did not get the car again until we left.

The room itself was VERY small - smaller than we had anticipated - but we also got the least expensive room. It was tight, but cute. Nice view of the street - the area the hotel is in is vibrant and colorful --- lots of great nightlife and restaurants.

We walked everywhere we went - just a few blocks away from the hotel was a Philly Plash station - $2 a trip and we could go all over Philly. It was awesome. We walked all they way to Independence Square - about a 15-20 min hike - not bad at all. The Alexander Inn was close to everything and the restaurants right around the hotel were delicious. I especially recommend Monk's --- maybe a 10 min walk.

The hotel itself was cute, art-deco inspired and very well-kept. We ended up staying and extra day and moved into a larger room our last night - what an improvement! Not that the small room was terrible - it was just very tight for 2 people. The next room up was only 20 or 30 dollars more and had double the space.

What I appreciated most, however - was the staff and the service. They were so kind and courteous - always full off suggestions of great places to eat, see and experience. And unlike larger chain hotels that forget you as soon as you leave the desk - the staff really went the extra mile to make you feel at home. They would greet you each time and remember you!

I hope to get back to Philly again - and if we do, we will definitely stay at the Alexander Inn (but in that larger room)!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Arlington Heights, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

I was supposed to attend a convention in Philadelphia, but unfortunately, it was cancelled after I had made airline reservations. Never having been to Philly, I thought I'd go anyway and make a nice long weekend of it. After reading several reviews here on TA, I called the Alexander Inn, and from the first encounter with the man with whom I spoke on the phone, I was sold. He was kind enough to give me all the information I needed, plus assure me what a great time I'd have in the city. The hotel actually has a few Single rooms, something I haven't come across before. This was perfect for me, as I'm rarely in my room except to sleep anyway, and it cost somewhat less as well.

I was very pleased with my experience; everyone who worked at the Inn made me feel like I was their sister, including giving me suggestions on where and where not to go (even more than what was listed on the information sheets), bringing out fresh food when I would come down at the last minute for breakfast, and even chiding me (good-naturedly!) when I would come "home" late at night. My only complaint was that the Internet service was MADDENINGLY slow when I was trying to get some work done one evening. The other times I used it, it was fine.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

We stayed here for three nights in December and have nothing but great things to say, like everyone else. The breakfast was fine; the dining area really cozy and comfortable. The staff are just adorable and so very friendly - they offer little sheets with helpful hints on eating around the area. They will bend over backwards to make sure you get to where you are going successfully. They checked us in early with no fuss. They also allowed us to stay in their warm dining area for an hour or so on a really cold day after we had checked out, just so we didn't have to hang around the decidedly dodgy Philly Greyhound station too long.
The rooms are quite snug but are clean and cozy. Free wi-fi and internet terminals.
Really great hotel, wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Hillsdale, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

My wife and I spent three nights here right after Christmas as a long weekend getaway. It was great decision! The hotel has a great location, right in the heart of the central city. Although the deluxe room with King bed was a bit on the small side, it was well appointed, with a three sided bay window overlooking 12th St on the 7th floor. The bed was very comfortable, and the room and bathroom were very clean. For part of our stay, we found the room was a bit warm, which we solved by opening one of the windows, which looked like they had been recently installed. (The hot water heat is baseboard and centrally-controlled. The room did have an AC wall unit which we obviously did not need in Dec.) Continental breakfast was good, with fruit, cold cereal, instant hot cereal, toast, bagels, danish, OJ, yogurt, coffee etc. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful, giving us practical touring suggestions. They also explained how the parking at the garage two blocks away worked ($14/day, which was a reduced rate for hotel guests).

After making the reservations on the basis of a high rating from the AAA, we discovered that the hotel was located in a gay neighborhood and was advertised in the gay press. We did not know what to expect in terms of us feeling out of place there, but having grown up in Manhattan, I said "what the hell !." But no one should have any concerns about this. The guest clientele appeared mixed, with straights, gays, families, foreigners etc. Everyone seemed welcomed and happy, and rightfully so, given the high quality accomodations. location, professional/friendly staff, and great price. The neighborhood itself was quite appealing, with a mixture of brownstones, historic buildings, store fronts, antique shops and restaurants/bars.

The only thing I would want readers to know is that if you do sleep with the windows open, you can expect to get quite a bit of street noise from the occasional passing cars and trucks on 12th and Spruce, no matter what floor you are on. All of the rooms overlook one or the other. Closing the window solved the problem, however.

I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a wonderful stay in the central part of Philly at a great price.

Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

For the $, I can't imagine why you would stay anywhere else in Philly. This was a charming inn in a great location. The old architecture of the building was great - working fireplace in the lobby, bay window overlooking the city in your room. The staff and Inn Keeper were warm and welcoming. The Inn Keeper gave us great personal recommendations for places to eat and sites to see. Our stay was excellent and we highly recommend this hotel to all our friends and family.

Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

To say that this hotel has bad customer service is an understatement. We booked through Expedia and upon our arrival they would not honor our booking, made us pay directly to them. They charged an extra tax and on top of all this, an out of the blue exchange rate. It is suffice to say that the treatment that we received at this hotel has ruined our entire stay in beautiful Philadelphia. The hotel manager was rude, unaccommodating and very nervous. One could tell by his mannerism that he knew that what he was doing was wrong. We hope that this review will eliminate another person being scammed. Beware that the price that you book the room for WILL change once you are at the hotel. We are seasoned travelers and rarely ever are unhappy with pretty much any hotel. At this establishment we really felt like we were scammed. Especially when we received our VISA bill and the price was WAY over the booking price!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
jcochie, Innkeeper at Alexander Inn, responded to this review, December 18, 2009
While we appreciate all feedback from our guests, this is a puzzling review from many vantage points:
We have not had an Expedia reservation in the month of December from guests from Toronto; We do not charge "extra taxes" or "out of the blue exchange rates"; We do not accept third party payments and always collect from the guest for third party booking engine reservations; the only time rates change at the inn is if we have lowered our rates (Winter Guest Stimulus Plan); and I, as Manager, have NOT had any negative interactios with guests at the Inn as described in this review.
Saying that "bad customer service is an understatement" is actually quite an overstatement based on the quality reputation that has become a trademark of the Alexander Inn.
South Elgin, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

My girlfriend and I went for a "girls" weekend in Philly and chose this hotel based on the location and the price. We didn't want to spend a lot on a hotel we would only be sleeping in it but wanted a nice boutique style as well to enjoy. This hotel fit that match and it was a very nice stay. The location is excellent and very easy to access. It's very close to the theater district, lots of dining choices and shopping. We took the train from the airport which was only about 20 minutes and then a 10 minute walk from the Market East station to the hotel. Be prepared to wear walking shoes for everything is walking in Philly and the Independence Hall site is a good 20 minute walk or so from the hotel. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The only complaint for us was that the pillows were a bit hard and we had forgotten to bring travel size conditioner and the hotel did not supply that, only shampoo so we went and bought some at the drugstore. The breakfast was a nice offering of pastries and bagels and fruit. Well worth the value and better then staying at a cheaper chain hotel with similar pricing for you just receive a better experience.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Alexander Inn? Share your experiences!