“Great place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This was our second stay at the Alexander in the past 3 years and we loved it both times! Very friendly staff and the rooms are very comfortable. We love the decor and the entire ambiance of the the Alexander. It is also centrally located to most of the "must sees" and "must dos" in Philadelphia. The complimentary breakfast is one of the best we've had in quite a while! Loved the gorgeous fresh flowers on all the tables as well! We will be back.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

947 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The Alexander Inn is my favorite spot to host my out of town guest, from my parents to my fraternity brothers to business associates; they have all enjoyed their stays and always look forward to returning there. The rates are reasonable, staff is both friendly and attentive, and the location can't be beat. The neighborhood is filled with great restaurants that all within walking distance. You can't go wrong staying at the Alexander Inn.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

When I'm unable to host out-of-town visitors or when their conference schedule or medical concerns require being in the heart of Center City, I always recommend the Alexander Inn. First, it's a great value for the price--clean, well appointed rooms, and a great staff committed to quality service. But additionally, it's located within an easy walk to the convention center or downtown hospitals. Plus plenty of good restaurants and shopping, not to mention a short two blocks to the Avenue of the Arts for music and theater. You'll not do better when considering a stay in Center City! It's the only place I recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bordentown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Our stay at this hotel was really a memorable one. The staff was really friendly and helpful. The rooms are cozy, comfortable and clean which we can't say for other hotels charging the same rates. One nice thing we love about this hotel is they don't charge more when there are special events happening in Philly. Other hotels will jack up their rates 3x even 4x depending on the number of visitors in town needing to book a room. The Alexander is also a mix of old world charm and modern convenience. The rooms are attractively designed and the amenities are what you would expect of respectable hotels. Did we say, continental breakfast was included? Location was walking distance to a lot of interesting places in downtown Philly. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice. The rooms are tiny, but what do you really need when you are asleep? You can't beat the location, it is in a great downtown neighborhood. There are great restaurants within walking distance and cabs are available to take you anywhere you want to go. You do have to pay to park in a garage and may have to walk a few blocks, but what do you expect when you are downtown?
The staff is wonderful!

Room Tip: A room away from the central stairs would probably be more quite than one right by the stairs.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Centrally located walking distance from old city, Reading Market and South Philly. Lots of good restaurants nearby. Nice continental breakfast and very friendly and helpful staff. Bathrooms are a bit small but the room was nice and priced appropriately. Would highly recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise. The corner rooms (2 full bed) have a nice bay window sitting...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cape May, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I booked this hotel after finding it on Tripadvisor. First let me say the staff was friendly and helpful. I was only staying one night so I parked a block away on 11th st between Pine & Spruce in a parking garage and walked over. It cost $17 for roughly 9 hours. I had room 508. It was small but that is not an issue to me. I was happy with the size and style. It was bright and sunny when I arrived. It had a bed, desk, small seating area, and dresser with a mirror. It had a full length mirror in the hall and it had a bathroom with a tub. It had a bay window on one wall and a regular window on the other wall. The windows offer expansive views of the neighborhood and they both have nice wooden slatted blinds.Plus all the windows open to let fresh air in. BUT MY FIRST ISSUE is that the room darkening curtains do NOT close on the bay window! The curtains are for decoration and even with the blinds closed, light floods the room! I have NEVER stayed at a hotel that didn't have room-darkening curtains and this was a unpleasant surprise when trying to sleep in the morning. The regular window did have curtains that closed but it was a mute point. In the morning when I wanted to sleep in there was way too much light from the bay window.
MY SECOND ISSUE was that this was THE most uncomfortable hard bed and hard lumpy pillows I've ever slept on! My sleep was terrible. I had read this in a previous review and had discounted it as just a sensitive person, because I have read reviews like that for other hotels that I've stayed in where I had no issues with bed comfort. I have to say, I have NEVER had an issue with any other hotel bed being too uncomfortable for me in my life. But that other person was NOT exaggerating. It was terrible.
A downer but not a big issue is that the room does not have an ipod/iphone radio/alarm/docking station. More hotels are offering this, and I find it a convenient amenity. The room does not have a coffee maker. It does have a blow dryer, iron, and ironing board.
The PLUS side is the free breakfast in the morning. It is a nice spread of toast, bagels, pastries, cereal, fruit, and beverages. This was a refreshing compared to some casinos I recently stayed at. I loved the decor and architecture throughout the whole place too. The vending machine in the basement has toiletries that you may have forgotten, like toothpaste and stuff.
This hotel is in a great part of the city and walking distance to SO MUCH great stuff. Bars, restaurants, theaters, historical points in a great neighborhood and convenient location.
My recommendation to anyone thinking about it, would be to First ask if the room has room-darkening curtain and Second to ask if they have any plush mattresses and soft pillows? Or bring your own pillow if possible. (I have never done this, but if I had to stay here again, I would).
I personally wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Alexander Inn? Share your experiences!