“Another amazing trip to the Alexander” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alexander Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Philadelphia
Alexander Inn
You added Alexander Inn to your Saves list
301 South 12th and Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Ranked #9 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Another amazing trip to the Alexander”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Refugees from Hurricane Sandy in New Jersey, I cannot rave enough about how well the staff accommodated us and catered to our spur-of-the-moment needs. We didn't expect to be in Philadelphia even just 24 hours earlier, but simply headed west to avoid Hurricane Sandy, to somewhere I had stayed before ten years ago while on a book tour (it's just down the block from Giovanni's Room bookstore), and enjoyed another wonderful stay this time around. The rooms were extremely clean, quiet, and well maintained daily by the maid service. Breakfast was quite possibly the best I've ever encountered (and begins at a decent hour and not too early, and goes until 12 on weekends!), and there were snacks available all throughout the day. All the amenities, including cable television, Internet service, and I particularly enjoyed the gym, which, although compact, had absolutely everything one would need. For a boutique hotel, it is incredibly well-stocked, and DEFINITELY reasonably (if not UNDER priced [how often does someone say that?]) for what you get. The Alexander is also located closely to all of the best attractions that Philadelphia has to offer, including Independence Hall and the Constitution Center, and only a bit more of a walk to Betsy Ross House, etc. I was particularly impressed with the new uptick in new restaurants and bars in the area compared to when I visited ten years ago, and all were great. Perhaps the best part of our stay was quite possibly the best front desk staff I've ever encountered. Usually in a hotel you have your favorites, but ALL of the staff, including the hospitable manager, John Cochie, and even Mel the owner said "Hello," at one point. They all sympathized with our escape from Hurricane Sandy, made
recommendations for laundry and dry cleaning service, restaurants, and logistics and what could otherwise potentially been a horrible flight from a flood was turned into a delightful respite from reality...

Room Tip: Best rooms are the rooms on the "08" line (e.g., 408, 508, 608, 708) with the best views a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I could call myself a road warrior which should let you know I travel a lot for my work responsibilities. This hotel's room for me Tuesday night was close to perfect. Great bed; great pillows; quiet and I could open the windows. Extremely wonderful find for me. Almost perfect. Room and linens spotless.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Loved my stay. They made me feel welcome, a home away from home. Easy walking distance to the airport train, convention center, and great food. Thank you Alexander Inn for taking care of me, for making me laugh, for great breakfasts, advanced tipping lessons, and the best food and restaurant recommendations I've ever received from a hotel. I'll return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We wanted a centrally located hotel and this is just that. We wanted a quiet room and got that too (neither hurricane Sandy nor our neighbours disturbed us) We wanted good value and paid only $159 per night. The people working at the Alexander were helpful and pleasant without exception. The area is full of restaurants and bars, so a boutique hotel without these is just fine. Is there anything to criticise? Maybe the bathtub is a bit small, but that's a minor detail. Dont hesitate to go to the Alexander

Room Tip: Go for an end of the corridor room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
france
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

wonderful. comfortable. location is ideal. the prices are absolutely unbelieveable. i had, this time, the room for one person. it's tiny, but has all amenities. complimentary breakfast is good. the views from the upper stories rooms is awesome.

i literally can't wait to go back. this is the hotel to recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I loved this place! after a stressful long day spent in far flung areas around Philadelphia, it was great to come to this haven to spend the night. efficient informative staff, nice breakfast, great ambiance, no false notes. I called at the last moment, so received a room on the street on the third floor, near a bus route, which did impact my sleep. I would ask for a room toward the back if you are sensitive to noise. on the other hand, the bay window looking onto 12th and Spruce was charming.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: So many restaurants and attractions nearby, but not touristy in the least. Take time to explore colo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
york PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Terrific location for our priorities--Monk's cafe and McGillin's and easy to find as we made our way from Yards. Clean, affordable, friendly. Parked the car in the garage and enjoyed being able to walk everywhere. Good value for the location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Alexander Inn? Share your experiences!