“Really nice stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
england
“Really nice stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

We stayed there for 4 days in early september. It really is cracked up to what the comments say. We had a lovely big corner room with two double beds. we also needed a cot for our 18 month old son. The room was decorated in a very pleasant style and had a fridge and safe. The bathroom was a bit pokey and we had to go downstairs every morning and night to warm our sons milk but all the staff were very pleasant. The staff also happily gave us recommendations for restaurants and despite being a short walk away from everything the hotel is still quiet. The only major pain was the steps at the front door, not handy for prams. Book well in advance for this place as they are usually booked up. I can't believe they charge as little for our room $159. the breakfast is a buffet continental but plenty to choose from re bagels, waffels etc.

• Liked — lovely big room
  • Disliked — the front door steps
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Scottsdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

The Alexander Inn is a quaint and comfortable hotel in a fabulous location for a tourist. It's so nice for a change not stay in a "chain" hotel. The front desk staff were the absolute best (John, Daniel and Chalk) - wonderful assistance and great sense of humor.
My only suggestion since it is referred to as a "boutique" hotel - upgrade the bedding. Too basic and the pillows are old!
As a single traveler, I throughly enjoyed the hotel and would definately return.

• Liked — Front Desk Staff and Location
  • Disliked — Old Bedding and Pillows
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
Reading, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

This property is well situated for Philadelphia attractions. We had a good room facing onto 12th St. The locality is atractive with tree lined streets of C19th houses.

We thought the hotel good value overall. The only disappointment was the size of the bed - only a standard 4'6" & too small for us (a bit strange - the room was big enough for a larger one). We had naively assumed that we get at least a queen! The hotel was full so we could not change. Best to check what you are getting.

Breakfast is a good variety of cereals, pastries and yoghurts etc.

• Liked — Location, free internet access
  • Disliked — Size of bed
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
roanoke virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

I can't speak more highly of the staff and accomodations at the Alexander Inn. John and the others went out of their way to accomodate my family (ranging in age from 4 yo to 75 yo). They helped us with taxi's, dinner recommendations, recommendations for what to see/do and they even printed directions for us to help bypass DC traffic on the jaunt home. The hotel was well decorated, fabulously clean and well located. Fruit is available 24 hours in the breakfast room which was also great. I just couldn't come up with something negative to say about the Alexander Inn if I had to. We were somewhat skeptical initially because the price was lower than other Philly hotels but these concerns were completely ungrounded.

Since we only had 48 hours we started with a Big Bus Tour to see the City and determine the 'must sees'. Philly is an easy city to walk so the younger of the group walked and met the others who taxi'd.

Highly recommended. You will be pleased with your stay here.

PS: Jim's is a must for cheese steak!!!!

• Liked — Staff and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

The hotel is located in a very nice,safe area of Philadelphia and is centrally located for everything you want to visit and see. The staff was extremely helpful and was very pleasant to deal with. The rooms are clean, however on the smallish side. I stayed here while going to a Monday Night football game and loved it. I will defintely stay here again, I believe that's pretty much the best thing you can say about a hotel...Go and enjoy.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything was fine.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
Spring Grove, Pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

Stayed here this past weekend. Was really looking forward to it after reading all the reviews. Was really impressed with the staff. They were very friendly and knowledgeable and I have absolutely no issues with them at all.

We were given our room after check in and the 1st thing we noticed was a smell in it. I, at first, was thinking it is just the cleaning supplies they use, but my husband brought to my attention it smelled more like someone had gotten sick in the room. We looked around and could find nothing to confirm that (not that the smell wouldn't linger for days afterwards anyway).

The room was small, and the bathroom was about the smallest I've seen - it was hard not to hit your head on the sink when you are on the commode. The shower/tub however was clean. Hot water was in endless supply and the water pressure was probably the best I've had at any hotel/motel/inn. The room itself aside from the smell seemed clean. By that I mean, no visible dust, but the rugs were obviously old and stained and the sheets and comforter had holes in them, some repaired, some not. I had no view whatsoever. I didn't hear too much from adjoining rooms, so I guess the rooms are pretty sound proof.

The breakfast was okay with cereals, croissants, danishes, bagels, raisin bread, fruits etc, etc. They definetely kept up with the supply through out the breakfast time which was until 12 - which is impressive compared to other places.

However, the "snacks available 24 hrs" is pretty much just left over danishes etc. from the morning - in my opinion anyway.

The neighborhood is charming - - loved the neighborhood and it was centrally located to everything.

I do have some other issues with the inn, but because I do not have solid proof of these "issues" I can not fairly state them.

I personally will not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

We absolutely loved the Alexander Inn. We were given a delightful corner room on the 7th floor that had the most amazing view of Philadelphia. The children and I went to sleep with the blinds pulled up so that we could enjoy seeing Ben Franklin on top of City Hall along with the skyline view. Friendly staff, good breakfast. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Nice staff and accomodatins
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Alexander Inn? Share your experiences!