“Great location, but not a great night's sleep” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center

Save Saved
You added Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center to your Saves list
Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #44 of 84 hotels in Philadelphia
maryland
“Great location, but not a great night's sleep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel is centrally located near Chinatown and the convention center, making it pretty easy to get around, walk to a million places (especially dining establishments) and hop on public transportation. However, even though the location is central, at the same time, it is somewhat isolated from the hustle and bustle of the busier streets. This can be a good thing or bad thing. Good, because there's less chaos/commotion, but bad because walking back at night can feel pretty sketchy particularly when there's no event at the convention center so the immediate area within a couple of blocks can be pretty dead.

For the most part, the hotel is nice. The room is small but fine, the bathroom fixtures are newish, the furnishings are clean and modern... Sure the flooring looks dated, double beds feel small, there's no fridge/microwave in the room... but overall it's above-average clean and nicely appointed. the front desk staffers were extremely helpful and even brought up towels immediately when I called after I noticed that housekeeping forgot to replace our old ones. They were also great about greeting us and informing us about the basics when we checked in. And I loved that they provided free coffee in the morning and free warm cookies and hot cocoa in the afternoon. The "business center" in the open lobby was also fine - easy to get on the Internet for a second. There's no pool, but there is a fitness center in the basement with a variety of bikes, treadmills, ellipticals and weights.

But my biggest complaint is that the room heater was SO LOUD throughout the night as it kept kicking on with a loud extended rumble that would last more than just a few minutes. I woke up at least three times my first night just because of this noise, and it was so loud that I don't think that a white noise app or machine could even drown it out. (Granted, by the second night I was so tired from the disruptive sleep before that I only woke up once...) Even despite getting a great deal on Hotwire for the hotel, I would avoid it in the future just because of the HVAC. If they changed these systems, it would make a world of difference.

Valet at $24/day is not cheap, but is actually cheaper than other hotels I've stayed at in the area, and I prefer it for the in and out privileges (meaning you can come and go as many times as you want and it doesn't affect the price). They ask that you call the front desk about 20-30 minutest before you have to leave because that's how long it takes to get the car. That was fine with me... although I did notice one of the valet guys had leaned my driver's seat way back and had pumped up the radio on the local top 40 station. (I'm more amused than annoyed by this)

So all in all, it's not a bad hotel. And if they changed their heater system, I'd actually call it pretty great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Timothy P, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to list such a detailed helpful revew for our travlers. I agree about the heater noise they are heat pumps and tend to be a little louder than standard hotel PTAC units but do allow you more flexibility especially with the ability to run the AC during cold months if needed. We have a fix in progress and should have it completeted by the end of January. We would appreciate it if you give us another try after that time.

288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed in on New Years eve. The hotel itself is very average, the rooms are small and a bit dated. The staff, however, made up for some of the hotel's lack of charm. The staff was very helpful and nice. The hotel also contains a decent eatery/bar - the Cherry Lounge or something like that. When I first arrived, I was a little concerned about the area but it turned out to be completely fine and much more centrally located than I had expected. Good for people looking to explore Philadelphia's tourist attractions. Also, very close to Reading Terminal Market and Market Street Station.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Timothy P, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for the review however even though you mentioned great service, average is not what we are in business for. While we are only five years old we are working to upgrade features and also plan to update the restaurant menu this February. Hopefully we will see you again and earn a better than expected status.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel and room were very clean and the staff was very friendly. The room was pretty small, but that's to be expected when (a) you're not a premier member and (b) you're in the middle of a big city. Check-in was easy and check-out was also pretty easy, though it took a long time for them to get my car back from valet.

There was an armchair in the room angled towards the bed-- every time I walked past it, I slammed my knee into it. The room was way too small to have this additional armchair and it was especially annoying when I walked into it on the way back from the bathroom in the middle of the night.

The bathroom sink only gives warm/hot water when you turn the faucet ALL the way on, which means the water is on super high blast. I got water EVERYWHERE when I tried to wash my hands.

My final (and major) complaint is the HVAC system. The room was chilly when we walked in, so we turned the heat up to 72 degrees, and switched the thermostat from "auto" to "on" so the room would warm up more quickly. The "on" position worked like "auto," though: once the room reached the temperature, cooler air would come from the vents, then warmer air after 20 minutes or so to get back up to 72 degrees. The problem is that the cooler air vent NEVER turned off and is, inexplicably, aimed directly at the pillow section of the bed. I got cold air shot into my face ALL night. I got up and turned the thermostat to "off" (a chilly room is better than cold air in my face), but it NEVER turned off. I had to build a sort of pillow fort on my left side to try to block the cool air from hitting my face. I woke up with a terrible headache and sore throat from the cold air being blown directly at me all night.
Simply put, it was a miserable night of sleep. I'll definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. We refurbished the historic building into the hotel and we have several different room sizes to choose from, I agree that some of the corner rooms are tight and am sorry that you found it difficult to manuver around the room. We will have the HVAC complaint addressed by the end of January to resolve the complaint of cold air drafts.
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed 2 nights while exploring Philadelphia. The location is great and close to everything without beeing smack in the middle of town. Very typical chain hotel. Checkin and checkout was efficient, the staff was polite. The rooms were average size and with 2 queen beds we were pretty comfortable as 2 adults - 16 yo - 8 yo. Would stay again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

What a great hotel! I got a great rate at the last minute on priceline for this hotel. I had mediocre expectations due to some lackluster reviews on this and other sites. However, when we arrived I was pretty blown away by the service, cleanliness, and overall pleasant experience we had here. Things I was thankful for: free water bottle in room, free coffee in the morning (both in room and downstairs in lobby area), immaculate cleanliness of bathroom (especially noticeable with all white tile & grout), very comfortable bed (woke up refreshed and energized which rarely happens when I am sleeping away from home), fridge was provided by request and in the morning after we checked out they were nice enough to let us use the restaurant fridge to hold our leftovers (from Han Dynasty) while we visited museums, and lastly the extremely friendly service from the great staff! As I mentioned, we got a good rate but I would hands down return to the hotel for twice what I paid and still feel that I got a great deal! The only downside is the surrounding area but a 6 block (10 minute) walk in either direction take you to great spots. A+++

Room Tip: We stayed in room 502.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Timothy P, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank for the great review. We are glad that you were surprised and look forward to seeing you again. Have a Safe and Happy New Year.
East Greenwich, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I went out for a "date night" here. We're in our 30's, so was most of the other guests.. young, hip, friendly. Front desk was helpful and efficient. Hotel room was beautiful and clean. AND price was reasonable. Would book again. I was expecting a dump after reading other reviews, so I was compelled to write about MY experience! OH, and bed was crazy comfy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Timothy P, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experieince with everyone. I am glad that we met you expectations and look forward to your return.
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I didn't have extremely high expectations as I got a favorable rate through Priceline, and while I am a Gold SPG member, I didn't think that would matter. I was wrong on both accounts. First, the lobby is light and extremely appealing, with touches you wouldn't expect. I was placed on a Starwood Preferred Floor, and the rooms were decent sized, with extremely large and renovated bathrooms that, to be honest, were much nicer than most higher end hotels. The bed was a bit hard, but I prefer that to too soft. The fitness center was also a pleasant surprise, with ample machines and weights. I ate at the Cherry Lounge, which was also extremely pleasant with good food. The icing on the cake was that the front desk was kind enough to give me a late checkout the next day due to my SPG status, although they probably didn't need to. Was it the Ritz? No. But was it an unexpected gem in this price range? Yes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We are glad that you were surpirsed and appreciate the positve feedback. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center? Share your experiences!