“Nice staff, average hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center

Save Saved
You added Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center to your Saves list
Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #47 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Princeton, New Jersey
“Nice staff, average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed in on New Years eve. The hotel itself is very average, the rooms are small and a bit dated. The staff, however, made up for some of the hotel's lack of charm. The staff was very helpful and nice. The hotel also contains a decent eatery/bar - the Cherry Lounge or something like that. When I first arrived, I was a little concerned about the area but it turned out to be completely fine and much more centrally located than I had expected. Good for people looking to explore Philadelphia's tourist attractions. Also, very close to Reading Terminal Market and Market Street Station.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Timothy P, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for the review however even though you mentioned great service, average is not what we are in business for. While we are only five years old we are working to upgrade features and also plan to update the restaurant menu this February. Hopefully we will see you again and earn a better than expected status.

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel and room were very clean and the staff was very friendly. The room was pretty small, but that's to be expected when (a) you're not a premier member and (b) you're in the middle of a big city. Check-in was easy and check-out was also pretty easy, though it took a long time for them to get my car back from valet.

There was an armchair in the room angled towards the bed-- every time I walked past it, I slammed my knee into it. The room was way too small to have this additional armchair and it was especially annoying when I walked into it on the way back from the bathroom in the middle of the night.

The bathroom sink only gives warm/hot water when you turn the faucet ALL the way on, which means the water is on super high blast. I got water EVERYWHERE when I tried to wash my hands.

My final (and major) complaint is the HVAC system. The room was chilly when we walked in, so we turned the heat up to 72 degrees, and switched the thermostat from "auto" to "on" so the room would warm up more quickly. The "on" position worked like "auto," though: once the room reached the temperature, cooler air would come from the vents, then warmer air after 20 minutes or so to get back up to 72 degrees. The problem is that the cooler air vent NEVER turned off and is, inexplicably, aimed directly at the pillow section of the bed. I got cold air shot into my face ALL night. I got up and turned the thermostat to "off" (a chilly room is better than cold air in my face), but it NEVER turned off. I had to build a sort of pillow fort on my left side to try to block the cool air from hitting my face. I woke up with a terrible headache and sore throat from the cold air being blown directly at me all night.
Simply put, it was a miserable night of sleep. I'll definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Timothy P, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. We refurbished the historic building into the hotel and we have several different room sizes to choose from, I agree that some of the corner rooms are tight and am sorry that you found it difficult to manuver around the room. We will have the HVAC complaint addressed by the end of January to resolve the complaint of cold air drafts.
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed 2 nights while exploring Philadelphia. The location is great and close to everything without beeing smack in the middle of town. Very typical chain hotel. Checkin and checkout was efficient, the staff was polite. The rooms were average size and with 2 queen beds we were pretty comfortable as 2 adults - 16 yo - 8 yo. Would stay again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

What a great hotel! I got a great rate at the last minute on priceline for this hotel. I had mediocre expectations due to some lackluster reviews on this and other sites. However, when we arrived I was pretty blown away by the service, cleanliness, and overall pleasant experience we had here. Things I was thankful for: free water bottle in room, free coffee in the morning (both in room and downstairs in lobby area), immaculate cleanliness of bathroom (especially noticeable with all white tile & grout), very comfortable bed (woke up refreshed and energized which rarely happens when I am sleeping away from home), fridge was provided by request and in the morning after we checked out they were nice enough to let us use the restaurant fridge to hold our leftovers (from Han Dynasty) while we visited museums, and lastly the extremely friendly service from the great staff! As I mentioned, we got a good rate but I would hands down return to the hotel for twice what I paid and still feel that I got a great deal! The only downside is the surrounding area but a 6 block (10 minute) walk in either direction take you to great spots. A+++

Room Tip: We stayed in room 502.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Timothy P, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank for the great review. We are glad that you were surprised and look forward to seeing you again. Have a Safe and Happy New Year.
East Greenwich, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I went out for a "date night" here. We're in our 30's, so was most of the other guests.. young, hip, friendly. Front desk was helpful and efficient. Hotel room was beautiful and clean. AND price was reasonable. Would book again. I was expecting a dump after reading other reviews, so I was compelled to write about MY experience! OH, and bed was crazy comfy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Timothy P, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experieince with everyone. I am glad that we met you expectations and look forward to your return.
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I didn't have extremely high expectations as I got a favorable rate through Priceline, and while I am a Gold SPG member, I didn't think that would matter. I was wrong on both accounts. First, the lobby is light and extremely appealing, with touches you wouldn't expect. I was placed on a Starwood Preferred Floor, and the rooms were decent sized, with extremely large and renovated bathrooms that, to be honest, were much nicer than most higher end hotels. The bed was a bit hard, but I prefer that to too soft. The fitness center was also a pleasant surprise, with ample machines and weights. I ate at the Cherry Lounge, which was also extremely pleasant with good food. The icing on the cake was that the front desk was kind enough to give me a late checkout the next day due to my SPG status, although they probably didn't need to. Was it the Ritz? No. But was it an unexpected gem in this price range? Yes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We are glad that you were surpirsed and appreciate the positve feedback. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The property itself is fine. The rooms are nicely decorated, though small even for an older property in in Philly. The bar/restaurant is cute and the food was fine -- nothing spectacular. However, over Army-Navy weekend the hotel was having issues with both the key card system and the hot water. I had to repeatedly return to the lobby to get a functioning key card. This is especially irritating since you need it both for the room and the door. Then I returned from a run a cold Saturday morning to a cold shower. Apparently this was a building-wide problem. It didn't improve much as the next day I was treated to a barely luke warm shower only after letting the water run for 15 minutes. Maybe this was just a bad weekend for the hotel? I'll never know as I won't be staying again.

Also, there is no on-site parking. There was valet, but they ask that you give 45 minutes notice to get your car back. Your only other option is a surface lot across the street. That was fine, but as with any city, you don't want to leave anything visible in an open lot. The Sheraton down the street on 17th and Race is a much better option and has parking other the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experieince, I am sorry that you experienced the lack of hot water, we did have two water heaters quit that weekend and had to wait until Monday to get parts. If you have not been compensated for your troubles, please contact our Front Office Manager and we will be glad to offer you compensation.

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center? Share your experiences!