“Nice hotel in a good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One Dock Street, 2nd and Walnut Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19106   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #33 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Mountain View, California
“Nice hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed one night at the Sheraton for a business trip. I had also stayed previously for a night with my boyfriend a few years ago. Both times I found the location to be great - not far from everything I was looking to do, but also in an immediate neighborhood that is fairly quiet. On this most recent trip, I was lucky enough to go to dinner with my brother at Zahav which is an excellent Israeli-Mediterranean restaurant just across the street from the hotel.

Checking in and out were easy and although it was a bit of a maze to my room, it was nice and quiet when I got there. I also thought that the room was pretty spacious for a city hotel. They were doing construction in the front of the hotel which was quite loud when I was checking in, but didn't get in my way otherwise. On our way out, it took all of 30 seconds to get a cab out front for the trip to my meetings. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear mau_nj,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill again. We sincerely thank you for reviewing our hotel. We apologize for the inconvenience about the difficulty of finding your room. We will be sure to communicate better directions next time. We hope to see you again in the near future.

436 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
voorhee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Every year on my husbands Birthday we stay at this hotel.The staff is very nice and extremely acomodating.We like to go down to the bar and have a snack and a drink after we check in. To my surprise the bartenders(who have been there for years by the way) came out with a cake & a candle.They remember him every year! Its just like that there they give a little extra,thats what keeps us going back.

Dear Lucky106,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are so happy and honored that you choose to stay with us year after year. We look forward to see you again next year.. We hope you enjoy the holidays.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This my first time at a Sheraton while on business, previous employer preferred Hilton. Wow what a difference. I understand this location is recently renovated and you can tell with a few lingering original fixtures (bathtub and heater). Bedding and linens are very plush, plus new furniture (love the arm chair with pull out ottoman I need that at home!) Definitely spring for the club level if the rates are close (In my case they were identical) it includes continental breakfast and evening drinks and appetizers. I'm in a perfect location 2 doors down from the club and around the corner from the 24-hr gym.

My only gripe is that the renovated gym did not include floor mats under their treadmills so after the hotel started filling up with a conference mid week I was woken up by *thunk thunk thunk* of runners on the treadmills. The vibrations are loud and travel across the hall. Sounds like an off balance washer on the floor below but definitely confirmed the runners (and thankfully not *ahem* enthusiastic neighbors!!). So any popular gym hours (4am-7am, 5pm-9pm) if your room is near the gym you'll get serious noise when someone is running hard. On the plus side you won't need the wakeup call at 5am! Oh did I mention they have a real person doing the wake-up calls still?? None of those goofy automated things that are complicated to set and a real person calls you in the morning (as far as I can tell).

Service is outstanding, the valet guys are great (I'm still blue collar and rarely business travel so valet always makes me feel awkward), concierge was wonderful and didn't bat an eye when I bashfully asked if the neighborhood is ok for a young lady to walk alone after dark (it's winter so it's dark super early) and the staff in the club lounge are friendly and reminded me to relax after a loooong day at work and reminded me to feel free to grab my wine to-go so I could lounge in pj's in my room!

As a young business traveler and somewhat homebody this has been a welcoming place to unwind after long tough days on the opposite coast.

Room Tip: If you're on the 3rd floor double check you're not too close to the gym to avoid hearing thu...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Julia H,

We are so happy that you decided to stay with us on your most recent trip to Philadelphia, and we are truly blown away by your review. We hope the next time you travel to Philadelphia you choose to stay with us again, and we will be sure to assign you a quieter room
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I had the privilege of staying at this hotel for one night. My company holiday party was held there and employees received a discounted room rate to encourage us to stay overnight. I took advantage of the offer and did my research on tripadvisor prior to booking.

I arrived at the hotel and was impressed by the tasteful decor in the lobby and adjoining bar and restaurant areas. Check-in was a breeze and I was also signed up for the Starwood Preferred Guests program in minutes. I asked for a room away from the main lobby (per the tripadvisor reccomendations). The walk from the elevator to the room was long but well worth it when I opened the room door. The room was immaculate! The decor was fantastic. From the beautiful tile in the foyer and bathroom down to the plush new carpet in the bedroom and the huge king bed with down comforter and extra pillows. The lamps were elegant and the desk area had extra plugs for charging the numerous electronics that are a part of daily life nowadays.

The holiday party started in the lobby where we had multiple open bars and then we moved into the main ballroom which has been very tastefully renovated. The bartenders, servers and other staff were all extremely friendly and accomodating and the food and drinks were delicious and beautifully presented.

I am so happy to have discovered this jewel in my city and will reccommend it to friends who need a place to stay when coming to town. I think one more bank of elevators on the opposite end of the lobby would make this a truly 5-star hotel. Bravo Sheraton Society Hill!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main lobby. It's a bit of a walk, but well worth the silence that c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear strongforu,

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are glad that your holiday party was a success and that you enjoyed the party and your stay. We are happy that your are now able to take advantage of all the SPG amenities. We hope the next time you find yourself looking for a hotel in Philadelphia, you choose to stay with us
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two weekend nights. The room was spacious and modern, on the club floor with a King bed. The hotel lobby is very nice, with a water feature and a peacock sculpture at the entrance. Breakfast in the lounge was good, and evening appetizers were nice too. Only complaint is that they don't have any self parking whatsoever, and valet parking costs $38+ with tax per night! That's just a ridiculous amount to charge - this is not New York or Toronto!

Dear cielbleu,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We appreciate that you chose our hotel for your stay when you came to Philadelphia. We apologize for the parking rates and that we were not able to communicate the parking options to you before your arrival. We hope that if you ever find yourself in Philadelphia again you choose to stay with us.
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here for one night with my husband to celebrate our anniversary in Philly. This is one of the better Sheraton's we've stayed at. Very well maintained, clean with a genuinely friendly and helpful staff. The setting of the King room was nice and roomy. The one downside in the room was the very noisy on and off of the heating system. It can be startling at times. Also we were able to hear the conversation in the room next door. But if you are a heavy sleeper and like soft bedding with the big feather pillows and the big feather comforter, then this will work for you.

Room Tip: I don't have a room tip. But we ate at the Positano Coast restaurant across the street and it w...
Dear jeeplovermom,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are happy that we were able to host you and your husband for such a special occasion. We apologize for the inconvenience of the noise you experienced during your stay. We do hope the next time you are in the Philadelphia area you prefer to stay with us again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Although I tend to favor Marriotts over Sheratons when I have a choice, this is one place where I won't look back. The property is unusual in that it's only 4 stories tall in a city of high rise buildings, but it's set in the historic district where it blends in with the older buildings. It's built around an atrium with interior walkways looking down into the serene and comfortable lobby, where you can have a coffee or curl up with a book while waiting for your companions or a taxi. Conference sized tables with built in charging stations at one end of the lobby are another unusual feature. The entire facility is well-executed. Rooms are clean and attractive, if just slightly tight, with fluffy white beds. Restaurants abound in immediate walking distance, including across the street, and you are minutes from anywhere you need to go.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear DebbyClaire,

We thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are happy that we are a favorable choice when it comes to your stay in Philadelphia. We thank you for review and we hope you choose to stay with us again.

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!