“Wonderfully renovated property with a boutique hotel feel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One Dock Street, 2nd and Walnut Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19106   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #33 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
philadelphia
“Wonderfully renovated property with a boutique hotel feel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I had the privilege of staying at this hotel for one night. My company holiday party was held there and employees received a discounted room rate to encourage us to stay overnight. I took advantage of the offer and did my research on tripadvisor prior to booking.

I arrived at the hotel and was impressed by the tasteful decor in the lobby and adjoining bar and restaurant areas. Check-in was a breeze and I was also signed up for the Starwood Preferred Guests program in minutes. I asked for a room away from the main lobby (per the tripadvisor reccomendations). The walk from the elevator to the room was long but well worth it when I opened the room door. The room was immaculate! The decor was fantastic. From the beautiful tile in the foyer and bathroom down to the plush new carpet in the bedroom and the huge king bed with down comforter and extra pillows. The lamps were elegant and the desk area had extra plugs for charging the numerous electronics that are a part of daily life nowadays.

The holiday party started in the lobby where we had multiple open bars and then we moved into the main ballroom which has been very tastefully renovated. The bartenders, servers and other staff were all extremely friendly and accomodating and the food and drinks were delicious and beautifully presented.

I am so happy to have discovered this jewel in my city and will reccommend it to friends who need a place to stay when coming to town. I think one more bank of elevators on the opposite end of the lobby would make this a truly 5-star hotel. Bravo Sheraton Society Hill!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main lobby. It's a bit of a walk, but well worth the silence that c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear strongforu,

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are glad that your holiday party was a success and that you enjoyed the party and your stay. We are happy that your are now able to take advantage of all the SPG amenities. We hope the next time you find yourself looking for a hotel in Philadelphia, you choose to stay with us

436 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two weekend nights. The room was spacious and modern, on the club floor with a King bed. The hotel lobby is very nice, with a water feature and a peacock sculpture at the entrance. Breakfast in the lounge was good, and evening appetizers were nice too. Only complaint is that they don't have any self parking whatsoever, and valet parking costs $38+ with tax per night! That's just a ridiculous amount to charge - this is not New York or Toronto!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear cielbleu,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We appreciate that you chose our hotel for your stay when you came to Philadelphia. We apologize for the parking rates and that we were not able to communicate the parking options to you before your arrival. We hope that if you ever find yourself in Philadelphia again you choose to stay with us.
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here for one night with my husband to celebrate our anniversary in Philly. This is one of the better Sheraton's we've stayed at. Very well maintained, clean with a genuinely friendly and helpful staff. The setting of the King room was nice and roomy. The one downside in the room was the very noisy on and off of the heating system. It can be startling at times. Also we were able to hear the conversation in the room next door. But if you are a heavy sleeper and like soft bedding with the big feather pillows and the big feather comforter, then this will work for you.

Room Tip: I don't have a room tip. But we ate at the Positano Coast restaurant across the street and it w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear jeeplovermom,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are happy that we were able to host you and your husband for such a special occasion. We apologize for the inconvenience of the noise you experienced during your stay. We do hope the next time you are in the Philadelphia area you prefer to stay with us again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Although I tend to favor Marriotts over Sheratons when I have a choice, this is one place where I won't look back. The property is unusual in that it's only 4 stories tall in a city of high rise buildings, but it's set in the historic district where it blends in with the older buildings. It's built around an atrium with interior walkways looking down into the serene and comfortable lobby, where you can have a coffee or curl up with a book while waiting for your companions or a taxi. Conference sized tables with built in charging stations at one end of the lobby are another unusual feature. The entire facility is well-executed. Rooms are clean and attractive, if just slightly tight, with fluffy white beds. Restaurants abound in immediate walking distance, including across the street, and you are minutes from anywhere you need to go.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear DebbyClaire,

We thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are happy that we are a favorable choice when it comes to your stay in Philadelphia. We thank you for review and we hope you choose to stay with us again.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

THis is a nice clean hotel located in the historic area of Philly. The Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, The 1st Bank, and other historic attractions are in walking distance. There are also a lot of great bars and restaurants are in walking distance too. The hotel and rooms are clean. Staff was friendly. I recommend this place for stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Garry D,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy to learn you had an enjoyable stay. We hope the next time you travel to Philadelphia you chose to stay with us again
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have stayed at almost all of the hotels in Philly (travel there for work often) and the Sheraton Society Hill is by far the best! The welcoming lobby provides not only a great place to meet friends but ample outlets provide a great work spot. Plus there is a Starbucks in the lobby to keep you awake!

The staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. From the valet personnel remembering my name, to the guest services attendant welcoming me back, and the sales director helping me with reservations - I truly feel like a VIP at this place. The first week I stayed that I needed to have a package delivered and they had no problem with me having it sent to the hotel. The little thoughts go a long way!

All of the rooms I have stayed at are great - all rooms have a comfy bed, ample pillows, a HD TV, desk / work area, and tub with shower. Some of the counters in the bathrooms are a little small for all of my girls hair products but still can fit them all.

I think above the lobby, helpful staff, and rooms the best thing about this hotel is the location. It is located in the heart of Society Hill (old city Philly). Within 2 blocks there are tons of great restaurants. If you are in town for tourism you could walk to the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, City Hall, and the Mint. Rittenhouse Square and the "Rocky Steps" are less than 2 miles away - perfect distance for a run!

The gym at this hotel is one of the best I have seen. Personal TVs on each of the treadmills, never having to wait for a machine, and plenty of space to do free weights make this the best. Their recent remodel makes a huge difference!

I recommend this hotel to everyone coming to Philly!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room or any room away from the atrium. Also ask to stay away from the rooms by the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear 21stcenturyexpl0rer,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled to learn had an enjoyable stay. We enjoy having guests return to our property when they travel to Philadelphia. We hope on your next return to Philadelphia you choose to stay with us again
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The room in this hotel is fine in general. The beds were nice and firm. They also provided free wireless and club access with continental breakfast. However, there were two big minuses in my opinion: 1) parking was only available via valet and was expensive ($35/day); 2) very noisy heater that shook the room as it started and stopped. It was so loud that I kept waking up at night. A call to the engineering department didn't help as this was apparently "normal". For the next day, I resorted to turning off the heater/fan although I had to wake up in the middle of the night to turn it back on for a few minutes as the the room got really cold. In my opinion, it doesn't matter how nice the hotel is but you have to be able to sleep through the night. Sadly, I can't really recommend this hotel unless they change the heater unit to a more quite one.

Dear Brian5900,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We do apologize that the heater was not fixed, and we know how a good night sleep is very important to start the day. As for the parking we do apologize that the parking fees were not communicated you before your arrival. If you would like to reach out to Christopher.petrucci@sheraton.com he would be more than happy to speak with you about your stay.

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!