“For this price, think twice” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel

You added Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One Dock Street, 2nd and Walnut Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19106   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #39 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
“For this price, think twice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

No fridge, no mini bar, no shower cap among other small missing things. No free Wifi, not even in the lobby. Some basics you even get on smaller and cheaper hotels were missing. No free Wifi. Other than that, it was a comfortable place to stay if you are willing to pay a high price for an average service.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We would like to inform that we do have free WiFi in the lobby, refrigerators upon request and we do have shower caps available. We apologize this was not communicated to you clearly and hope the next time you come to Philadelphia you choose to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill and we will make it a memorable experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Bluffton, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I felt compelled to write this review since I read a few reviews before we booked this hotel and my friend was a bit apprehensive. Apparently, someone had stayed here in the past and had experienced bedbugs. As a former investor in a 640 hotel in LA, I tried to educate my friend that bedbugs can appear in the most expensive hotels as well as the dirtiest hotels. The problem is the traveler; especially foreign travelers with less than perfect hygiene practices. We rented two rooms for the week and both rooms were in excellent condition. The hotel was recently renovated and it showed beautifully. We both were so impressed with the staff. You see, we had made our reservations on Priceline and had to combine multiple reservations for the 7 day stay. The front desk was extremely patient in working out adjoining rooms and accommodating our requests. The bell staff was more than helpful and the maids were gracious and also very accommodating. Ignore the one isolated case of bedbugs since I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We greatly appreciate your amazing feedback and are pleased that you had a most enjoyable stay. We are very proud of our staff and we are so glad they made you feel comfortable and relaxed. We hope the next time you are in Philadelphia you choose to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill.
Mission Viejo, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Check in for this hotel was fast but clerk did not want to give any upgrade options. I had a deal through the hotel that included parking (a $38 value apparently) but since I decided against renting a car I asked if I could put the value against upgrading to a club room. I was rudely shot down before I could even state I would pay the difference or ask if I could just upgrade. Reviewed an confirmation email that I had received in I booked the hotel stating I could have upgraded to club for $50. Oh well, saved me from giving the hotel any additional money.

Other that that the hotel was fine. The room was clean, decor nice. Pool was small but that was to be expected for the location. Hotel lose to the dock but farther away from the majority of historical sites that I planned to visit. Within walking distance but after doing the walk to sites, walking around the sites, and dining I really wish I chose the Omni Hotel, since it was much closer to attractions.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and appreciate your feedback. We apologize for the experience you had and will address the appropriate department. Thank you
vancouver, wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and had two rooms. Both were nice and up to the Starwood expectation. The location is great and within walking distance to the sights. I liked that the location was not on a busy street and a bit quieter than some of the other hotels we looked at. The one thing that topped it off was the pool. Our kids loved the pool - they say it was their favorite thing about Philadelphia.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us on your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate it and so happy that you, along with your family enjoyed the hotel, accommodations and amenities. We receive many great comments on our pool and we are glad that our families can enjoy the experience and create memories ! We look forward to your return visit to The Sheraton Society Hill Hotel.
Upstate, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My sisters and I stayed here 2 nights for a girl's weekend. Our room was comfortable and clean with plush bedding. There was no in-room refrigerator which was somewhat of a surprise. Also, the bathroom was a bit on the small side. The staff was very accomodating and friendly. There is a nicely decorated enormous lobby that includes a gift shop and restaurant. The biggest complaint about this hotel is the noise level. The hallways were incredibly noisy at all hours of the night. We had to ask people to quiet down at 2:30 in the morning our first night there. Judging from other reviews I can see this is an ongoing problem.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review us on our recent stay. We appreciate it and glad that you enjoy the hotel. We apologize for the noise you experience and please know that we appreciate the feedback. The hotel has refrigerators upon request through our Guest Services and please know upon your next return, please request one for your use. We want to ensure our guests have the comforts of home while traveling. Thank you !
Orinda, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Stayed 5 nights to attend a wedding and to tour a bit in Philadelphia. The rooms are good sized but the bathrooms are ridiculous with little to no counter space and no shelves or anywhere to place your personal items. Between our family members, we had three different rooms and only one had some bathroom counter space. Closets are small and in each room we needed extra hangers. There are basically NO drawers for clothes. In fact, while room 3170 and 3180 had some drawer space (but the inside was dusty), the largest room, 4179, had no drawers at all - only a few shelves in the TV cabinet.
Beds are really comfortable but the walls are really thin. In room 3170, we could clearly hear the conversation in the next room every evening - and they weren't being loud at all. In room 4179, we were awoken at 1:30 in the morning by the people in the next room. Even stranger was that in the bathroom of 4179, we could clearly hear other people talking - we think the sound was coming through the ventilation system. Another quirk is that there is that the air conditioning on the third floor came on with such a loud noise that it woke us up each time. There was also a strange kind of ticking sound that we later figured out was from the fire alarm system (we could also hear it near the elevators where the fire sensor was). The sound was really annoying and non-stop. Between the thin walls, air conditioning and fire sensor sound, ear plugs are necessary.
THere also is no air conditioning vents in the bathrooms. When it's horribly hot and humid out, it's really uncomfortable to use the blow dryer or even try to dry off without getting sweaty.
The front desk staff, restaurant staff and especially the housekeeping staff are exceptionally nice. However when we needed an extra blanket at night for a cot, we had to call three times and it took over an hour to get it.
Do NOT waste your money on the club floor. The evening attendant was downright surly on two occasions. The evening hors d'oeuvres were dried out vegetables and doughy appetizers that were decidedly unappetizing. Worst of all, wine is $7 per glass on weekends. This is ridiculous when the club floor costs $50 a night more than the standard rate and the rooms are exactly the same.
The gym is adequate but apparently not cleaned or attended to. I left a paper coffee cup in the gym (by mistake), and it was still there two days later when I returned. The first day there were cold towels (nice touch), antiseptic wipes and water bottles. It seems that once these were used up, they just weren't replaced over the 5 days that I stayed there. This was annoying because we worked out every day and it was really hot and muggy in the gym.
The pool seemed to be enjoyed by families with young children but for us, the smell of chlorine was overpowering. In fact, I would suggest not staying in a room on the 3rd floor near the pool if that smell bothers you.
It says that there is an ice machine on each floor. I wandered around following signs only to find it was no longer on the third floor. The front desk told me it was only on the fourth floor. The signs should be updated as it's embarrassing to wander around in a robe with an ice bucket. By the way, there are robes available if you ask for them.
The front desk is wonderful about figuring out the best rates. We were able to get the birthyear deal. Make sure to ask which Starwood discounts are available. Joining Starwood is free and the benefits are great.
I waivered between giving this hotel a poor or average rating. I guess if you can get a good deal on the rate then it's average. If you pay full rate, it's poor. Really too bad because the staff is really nice and the location is very good.
Make sure you get an eticket in advance for the Barnes Foundation - one of the most impressive and enchanting art museums I've seen anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room on the 4th floor as it will be bigger and possibly quieter. The 4th floor al...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it and have communicated to the appropriate departments. Our daily goal is to ensure all of our guests have a great experience during their stay. Thank you for your positive feedback on our staff. We are very fortunate to have a great staff, as they will always go the extra mile to take care of our customers. We do hope upon your next visit to Philadelphia, you will visit us again. Thank you !
brooklyn ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

i booked the hotel with spg, wasn't informed about the whopping $45 parking. the hotel room was nice but the pool area was disgusting. the chrome all over showed rust. the paint was peeling all around pool area with mold in one corner. i stubbed my to with a pipe sticking out by the kiddie pool area. the management promised points to myself and family that came with me because we came on a family vacation and the pool was disgusting. i was the only one in the party to receive the points, not the others in my group. in my room the outlet in the bathroom was dated and cracked.

Room Tip: complain to management
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and have communicated to the approriate department. Thank you for communicating to our Front Office on your experience while you were on property. Please know that we take our guest feedback seriously and strive to ensure our guests have a great stay, as well as, create memories.

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!