“Terrific!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel

You added Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One Dock Street, 2nd and Walnut Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19106   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #42 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Philadelphia
“Terrific!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We recently attended a wedding close by to the hotel. It was wonderful, from the front desk staff to the attendants outside. We took a trolley to the wedding site to and from the hotel. The beds were my favorite part we got a great nights sleep. We were very pleased with the entire experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Terrific place, near Penn's Landing, with very comfy beds and good amenities. Breakfast buffet is standard fare. Free wifi in beautiful lobby on 4 computers, but you pay extra for room wifi.
No frig in room, but there are 2 one litre bottles of water on desk. They cost extra, but there's nothing to tell you that. Gift shop is nice. Nice staff. Valet parking only. Newspapers available from table by elevators.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear wacotx46, Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We greatly appreciate your time in reviewing our hotel, and also thank you for uploading pictures of our renovated guest rooms and hotel lobby. We are happy to learn that your enjoyed your stay and were pleased by the service you received from our staff. Here at the Sheraton Society Hill we enjoy learning about the pleasant experiences from our guest. We hope the next time you come to Philadelphia you choose to stay with us again, and next time take the water its complimentary.
Gahanna, Ohio, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I stayed from Tuesday thru Saturday. I valet parked my car and never had to use her the whole time I was at the Sheraton. I had a great feeling about the hotel just from my first experience with the Valet and the Door Greeter, they worked as a team; my luggage was out of the car and the door opened with a smile and warm greeting. I had to wait in the lobby behind some other guest, but the woman on duty was courteous, friendly and took time with her guest; so I didn’t mind.
The room was clean; plenty of pillows and the bed was comfy. I was on the 4th floor, close to the indoor pool and hot tubs (yes two hot tubs). Kids were in there the first night and having a ball. The restaurant
has good food and the adult beverages have just the right amount of alcohol.
This hotel is centrally located to the Old City, a short walk to Independence Hall and some of the finest restaurants in Philly. I was able to walk out the back door and catch the “Big Bus”, a tour bus that takes you all around the cities’ prominent stopping points. Across the street is a bus line ‘42’ that will take you into downtown about a mile West. Three blocks North is the Market / 2nd Street subway, that will take you downtown as well.
The hotel is only 4 or 5 blocks East of Horse Drawn Carriage Rides down Chestnut Street. South Street is only a couple of blocks South of the hotel where fine dining and shopping can be had.
Over the walkway is the Delaware River where one can unwind after a busy day of meetings.
I was impressed with the staff, they seemed like they really liked each other and that showed in their mannerisms and their smiles.
They had two wedding parties and a Prom, didn't seem to cause any wrinkles in the operation.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the pool the 4th floor is your choice. I overlooked the circle, where th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are pleased to learn that you had a terrific experience at the hotel. We thank you for all of your kind words and are truly moved that our staff had really made a difference in your stay. We pride our self on our service and are happy to see that it pays off. We hope the next time you are in Philadelphia you choose to stay with the Sheraton Society Hill again. Thank you
Barre, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Every staff member, from the front desk, through every single valet or housekeeper or maintenance person I saw seemed genuinely friendly. Not "friendly because I'll lose my job" but "friendly because I like working here, they treat me well, and part of my job is making you feel welcome".

They weren't cloying or annoying or intrusive, but just really welcoming. Any time I asked anyone for anything, it was given cheerfully (I declined housekeeping service and got $5 for two nights back to use in the hotel, which was nice, but I needed to get more toilet paper at one point) and promptly. I didn't have to wait, and they followed my request (I didn't want to dress so they left it right outside my door and knocked as I asked) to the letter.

The food at this hotel is adequate but there are plenty of places nearby that are superior (and within walking distance) that I didn't eat there except to use my vouchers on the last day before catching my flight.

My room was spotless and smelled clean. The bedding was comfortable, though if you have an allergy to real down, you should get them to replace your pillows and comforter as they are real down. I peeked in at the pool but I wasn't feeling well enough to swim so I didn't give it a shot. It also looked tidy, clean, and well-maintained.

The services for the conference I was attending were very good. We got continental breakfast each morning and when I asked for hot chocolate at the beverage service, the gentleman there promptly went off and brought back some packets, and they were there both of the next two days without my having to request them. Also, I love a buffet that has protein on it. Even if it's just hard boiled eggs, that's perfect. This one had hard boiled eggs AND lox for the bagels. :) Ok, I know that was mostly a function of the conference staff requesting them (which I'd asked them to do) but it was great that they included it.

There is one complaint, and I have this every time when staying at a higher end hotel: internet service. I don't work for a corporation that pays unlimited travel funds and just covered internet service for those traveling on business. I work for state government and this conference I attend is one that I attend every year (and we generally have them at Sheratons), and every year the internet is a challenge. THIS year they got the hotel to include the basic internet package in our room rate, that was nice. But... I wasn't feeling well (long story) one of the mornings so I retired to my room to rest and watch the conference webcast for that panel discussion. The basic internet rate in my room wasn't good enough to keep up with a webcast, so I ended up missing it. I called and asked about it and they told me the only option would be to up grade my service for the day and they'd adjust my bill so that I was only paying the difference between the basic rate and the upgraded rate (which I think was $20 more). I didn't want to do that, so I just went without the webcasts for the morning.

I am so sick of business hotels just padding out their profits by charging for something I get for free in any cheap motel I book at, and often at a better quality, for all that. SOME of us don't GET internet included in our business expenses. I suppose we're in the minority.

Still, that's my only complaint. As far as properties go this is a well-maintained, clean, nice, mostly elegant Sheraton with happy, hard-working staff who seem to genuinely care. If I were going to PA on pleasure, I might seriously entertain staying here just because of its proximity and high quality, even though I'm usually too cheap to pay these sorts of rates when there's not a conference in the offing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the elevators. The rooms opposite the elevators are a LOOONG walk at the e...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are blown away by all of your amazingly kinds words. We do apologize for the internet fees and we realize that some people have stricter budgets then others. We strive to make our guest feel comfortable and relaxed and always look for ways to improve their experience. We greatly thank you again and really hope to see you in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This hotel was perfect for our family trip. It is in walking distance of Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Lots of nearby restaurants to choose from as well. The staff was great. Everyone provided service with a smile. The kids (ages 16 and 14) enjoyed the pool on the top floor although it was a little loud once. The hotel has been recently renovated and it was quit a relaxing retreat at the end of your day sightseeing. We are SPG members and the Club Lounge was very nice. The food and refreshments were very welcome. We ate breakfast there everyday. Would not even consider staying anywhere else if we return to Philadelphia.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are glad to learn that you and your family had an enjoyable time. We appreciate the kinds words and we are extremely satisfied to know that our staff took the utmost care of you and your family. We thank you for your loyalty and are looking forward to your next visit with us.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

Right by penns landing, which is great. Me and my boyfriend were here for one night as a leisure trip. We felt treated differently because we were a young couple wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants. If your in Philadelphia on business I recommend this hotel. Pool was nice.

• Stayed May 2012
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We truly value all of our guests and pride ourselves on providing the best service. We apologize for the inconvenience during your stay with us. Thank you for your feedback regarding our location and glad you enjoyed the pool. Upon your return visit to Philadelphia, we hope you return to our property to enjoy the hotel, atmosphere and amenities.
Wyckoff, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was there this weekend. I couldn't not sleep very well as I found the bed and pillows to be too soft for me. I had to use one my daughter's stuffed animals under my head for more support. While we had the AC on, it was like hearing a coffee maker perculating all night long. We had an OK view,...the location however is great. The staff were all very friendly.
So, I would only come back due to the location and staff. I will make sure to bring more head support next time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We thank you for your kind words on our location and our staff. We believe in our staff members to provide the best of service to our guests. Recently, we just completed a full property renovation, including all guest rooms, bathrooms and purchased new Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Beds. We do hope on your next visit to Philadelphia you will return to the Sheraton Society Hill as we will be happy to accommodate requests for firmer pillows.

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!