“Everything is an extra” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel

You added Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One Dock Street, 2nd and Walnut Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19106   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #40 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Bronx, New York
“Everything is an extra”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I booked this hotel for a weekend getaway with my wife. It does give you the 70s feel. My wife was quite surprised that this is a 4 star hotel. Room is small. Parking is $32 extra (plus tax, which total $39). Breakfast is extra, even though on Sheraton's own website it says complimentary continental breakfast. No in-room WiFi, that's another $10 extra. No refrigerator, I believe you may get one if you pay some extra. To be fair, they do offer 2 free bottle of water, though. But overall not worth it and I would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Do not book it if you can avoid it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay. We appreciate all comments received from our valued customers. As of April, 2012, we completed our complete hotel renovation. This included all guest, along with bathrooms, public areas, including a brand new restaurant, TASTE. For your next stay in Philadelphia, please check out our website as we list many great packages, along with value into the special offers. We hope on your return visit, you will stay with us. Thank you !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

My wife and two young daughters spent a great week at this hotel. The staff was super friendly and very accommodating, going the extra mile to ensure that we had everything we needed for a enjoyable stay. My daughters even made friends with one particular bellman who was a riot.

The restaurant Taste is great, with a fun bar scene, and we certainly appreciated the 24 hour club lounge. My girls loved the indoor pool which we just had to visit every day - very relaxing.

You can't beat the location; so many restaurants and historical sites (plus Penn's Landing). So nice to step out and walk a block to a great restaurant or visit Independence Hall. And you are minutes away from the Philly Zoo, Please Touch Museum, and art museum. Great Stay!

Room Tip: Book on the concierge level.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you for much for staying at the Sheraton Society Hill. We truly appreciate your kind comments and your wonderful feedback on our hotel. We are glad to see that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. We hope if you are ever in the Philadelphia area you choose to stay with us again.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

There was no room upgrade. The hotel is run down with paint coming off the wall. They are trying to fix up the property, during our stay the flooring was removed and relpaced. It is an old hotel in a cool,part of the city. As a platinum member I will not return.

Room Tip: The rooms were not very good.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thank you for your feedback during from your recent stay. We apologize we did not fullfill your expectations of a great experience. As of April, 2012, we completed a multi million dollar renovation, complete with new Fitness Center, Club Lounge, a new restuarant, TASTE, along with great amenities/features to the guest and bathrooms. We do hope for your next visit to Philadelphia, you will come back to our hotel and try us again.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a work conference and the experience was tremendous from check in to check out. I was immediately greeted by a friendly valet when I pulled up to the hotel, and I was under no time pressure to unload my bags. I proceeded to the main desk to check in (I arrived at least 3.5 hours before check-in) and was greeted again by one of the friendliest staff members you could meet. My information was taken promptly and my king room was ready despite my early arrival time. I arrived at my room and immediately noticed how clean it was. There was no dust or hair in the corners of the bathroom, no dust or mildew on the vents, and everything was in perfect order. My room was on the second floor away from the elevators and was very quiet. I was never disturbed or awakened by noise from the street, hallway, or adjacent rooms. The bed was VERY comfortable as well as the pillows (something I hadn't noticed before). The bathroom was perhaps a little undersized, but the cleanliness more than made up for the size. The only minor complaints I have about my stay are the ability of the A/C unit to cool the room down enough and the internet speed. I asked the front desk to check into the A/C and my second and third nights were more comfortable, but the thermostat only goes as low as 65- I prefer 60. The internet speed was adequate for most business applications, but was not suffieicnet for streaming video. This was not a big concern for my trip.

The conference facilities, meals, and snacks were wonderful. The food was hot or cold as appropriate and the food staff was on top of their game. I never had to wait for more food and the drinks were replenished as needed. Tables were attended to promptly and my napkins were even folded before I got back to my seat. That never happened during business trips to other locations.

This hotel is located near many of the Philly historic sites and great restaurants. I would recommend this hotel for business trips as well as family vacations. My overall experience was absolutely fantastic and I would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend this Sheraton to family and friends.

Room Tip: I always ask for rooms away from the elevators for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your time and feedback of our property. We have passed along your feedback to the appropriate departments. We just finished our hotel renovations with great improvements to the guest rooms, bathrooms and a great new restaurant, TASTE. We look forward to your return trip to Philadelphia and to our hotel.
Doylestown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Just returned from a fun weekend with my husband. We live in suburban Philadelphia and try to take advantage of Philly when we find ourselves without kids. This hotel has been nicely redone and it was a great stay. We parked our car and walked everywhere all weekend. The staff was really nice, the club room was well appointed and the lobby was a great meeting area. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Thank you for your most recent visit to the Sheraton Society Hill. We thank you for all of your kind comments and happy to see you taking advantage of Philadelphia when you get the chance. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope when you do another weekend get away to Philly, you chose the Sheraton Society Hill again. Thank you
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed here 2 nights while discovering the historic old town of Philadelphia by foot. Leave your car safely parked ( for $35 per night) and find everything you need to know about Philadelphia at the Visitor's Center. The hotel is very clean , safe, friendly and helpful. Crispy fresh linens on the beds and soft towels in the bathroom. A great night's sleep and refreshing shower mean a lot to me, especially after being a tourist all day. The restaurant is adequate with a comfortable bar and lite meals. Room service was served with a smile, exactly on time and was perfectly cooked. A great location base for discovering Philadelphia.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Society Hill on your most recent trip to Philadelphia. We thank you for your wonderful comments and appreciate you taking the time to review our website. We are so glad to read that you enjoyed your and hope the next time you are in Philadelphia you return to the Sheraton Society Hill. Thank you
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

It is evident that the property has gone through some rather extensive renovations within the past year, both the public spaces and the rooms. The plumbing and HVAC worked well and there were HD television channels (but the TVs are small). The rooms are clean. However, I was unable to get comfortable with the bed, got lost somewhere between the combination of the linens being too hard, the bed being too soft, the covers being too heavy, and the firmness of the two types of pillows. And there are no in-room refrigerators. The club lounge on the 3rd floor was small and had limited food offerings (only hot item for breakfast – grits), but the soft drink beverage selection was ample; to be sure, the limited alcoholic beverages are free during the weekday nights only. The property location is great for access to restaurants/bars, independent movies, Penn’s Landing, and the historic district.

My big objection to the property management is that no one seemed to know the details about the rooms (which room types have bigger bathrooms, which suites are the biggest, what exactly was redone during the rooms renovation etc). It did not help that there is no egress floor plan on the backside of the room entry door to consult for the layout of the property. Between the phone calls prior to arriving on-site and the attempts to clarify at the front desk (at every shift), the responses were universally “we do not know, we do not go into the rooms” and “they are about the same” and “its all renovated”, in addition to lots of conflicting information furnished about room availability and room type comparisons. During my stay, I moved from a standard club room with two beds to a junior suite king club room, only to find out that the bathroom in the junior suite is significantly smaller than the standard room (though the standard room had absolutely no counter space at the single sink). So if you are one who cares about what kind of room type you are in and/or about SPG platinum upgrades, then be prepared for some frustration.

Room Tip: take what the front desk informs you about the room types and details with a grain of salt
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Society Hill. We thank you for taking time to notice our renovations and appreciate your comments and feedback. We take all guests comments with the utmost attention and care to review our services and improve in any way possible. We do apologizes for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and hope that if you ever find yourself staying in Philadelphia again you choose the Sheraton Society Hill. Thank you

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!