“Loved the Hilton” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 83 hotels in Philadelphia
leaflet22
“Loved the Hilton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

This is a beautiful hotel. It was so comfortable, clean and quiet. The staff was friendly, and their room service menu is amazing. It is so refreshing to visit a hotel with this level of customer service. They even bring flowers on your tray when you order room service.

The hotel is about 5 minutes from the airport. I drove my rental car, and I found navigating very easy, but I believe the hotel also has a shuttle. It was nice to not have a long trek to the airport to make my flight in the morning, and the level of service and comfort of my room left me feeling refreshed after a stressful business day.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

642 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

Thanks to airline cancellations, I had an unintended overnight layover in Philadelphia. I contacted AMEX travel to help me secure a room as the main airline in Philly was cancelling many flights. I was reserved for a king room at the Hilton. I picked the Hilton because I expected it to have a level of service and amenities and was leary of some of the other available options.

The free airport shuttle picked me up quickly and the 5 minute ride to the hotel (it was very good weather - bit of a mystery why so many flights were cancelled, but I digress). There were two others ahead of me in the check in line with two staff members. The front desk seemed a bit slow and I had to wait over 10 minutes to get checked in.

When I got to my room, I discovered that the king I requested was not what I received. Instead I had two doubles. I called the front desk to ask if I couold have a king, but no one picked up after 20 rings, so I gave up and settled in. The room itself was modern and seemed clean. There were two double beds, a desk with chair, a dresser with a flat-screen TV, and a nice bath with granite counters. No conditioner or shampoo though. Only lotion and soap.

My first disappointment was that the free wifi had a signal so weak that I could not access the internet. As I needed to do work, it was impossible without internet access. No one answered the phone call I placed to ask about the issue. I decided to find a soda and turn in for the night. Unfortunately, the machine had no caffiene-free products, so nothing but water for me.

The bed was okay, but squeaked every time I turned over. The mattress was a bit squishy as well, so it required some effort (and therefore, noise) to get comfortable.

The biggest issue I had with this hotel was in the morning. I had a very early morning flight and therefore, was looking forward to a nice warm shower to wake me up. However, when I turned on the water, there was nothing but freezing cold water. I turned it to hot for five minutes to no avail. As I had an appointment as soon as I landed, I had to shower and shower in freezing water. I was furious because for the price I paid, I expect to have warm water. I showered as quickly as I could so as not to get frostbite and went downstairs to complain. The line was so long (about 20 people deep) that I realized that there was no way to make my complaint and still make the airport shuttle to make my flight. I jumped on the shuttle and discovered that everyone of my fellow passengers who took a shower that morning had cold water. The shuttle bus driver then informed us that there was only one working boiler for the entire hotel and that is why we had no hot water. Had I known that at the beginning of my stay, I would have either picked a different hotel or at least tried to take a shower in non-peak times.

I was pretty disappointed with my stay. I expected better from a Hilton and wish I had selected the Fairfield instead. Lower price and I probably would have had hot water...

• Liked — free airport shuttle
  • Disliked — no hot water, no internet access, slow checkin and checkout staff
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

Booked this last minute via Priceline for a late airport arrival in Philadelphia. The hotel is very close to PHL and the shuttle runs 24 hours a day every 20 minutes or on demand. The shuttle picked me up at about 12:30am in just a few minutes.

Front desk woman was very cheerful and friendly. Upon arrival she handed me a Tastykake, a welcome local touch.

The first room was a queen that was very close to the elevator. The elevators in this place are loud - all kinds of buzzing and digging that I could hear in my room with the door closed (although had I put the heat/fan on - who knows?). I knew this kind of thing would bug me so I asked for another room, which I got, far away from an elevator. But I'd worry about a late check-in and possibly getting an "elevator room" - lucky for me the place was nearly empty.

The room number plates on the front doors look a little odd. Almost...bent? Mine looked clearly like it had had an encounter with an errant screwdriver - a tiny dent in it. Not that I would ever care about such a thing at the Motel 6 I stayed in recently - but sheesh, this is the Hilton, and this is the first thing you see when you enter your room!

Inside 2nd room there was a distinct perfume smell which I could have done without (although I quickly forgot it). But otherwise the room was great - clean, comfy, basic, business-like. Bathroom was great. Free wired internet and wireless in the lobby.

• Liked — Location, friendly front desk person, Tastykake, and great Priceline deal
  • Disliked — Risk of getting a room near a noisy elevator
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

If you need a place to spend the night adjacent to the Philadelphia Airport, this is an acceptable option.

The main attraction is the quick shuttle ride from your terminal to the hotel and back. The ride probably takes about 8 minutes and the shuttle runs 24/7 every 20 minutes or so (though check with the hotel, you never know when things will change.)

The lobby is decent looking but the rooms are a bit dated. My room also had a bit of a musty smell. The furnishings and quality of the hotel are definitely at the low end of the Hilton chain. The Hilton run Inn at Penn in by U Penn is significantly nicer than this hotel.

The bathrooms are small but clean. The water pressure was great. The towels were ok.

All in all, if you just need a place to sleep overnight by the airport, this should work. It's the sort of place you could stand to stay at yourself but wouldn't recommend to a client or associate.

As I arrived quite late and left quite early I didn't have much interaction with any employees, but the ones I did speak with were polite.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

My friends and I stayed at the Hilton just to get away for my friends birthday. After Reading the review I was kind of skeptical but went anyway. We arrived around 9:00 and got a double deluxe room on the 7th floor. The room was newly remodel with a flat screen TV and the bathroom was also nice because that is the first place I look, how well the bathroom is kept, that would determine whether or not I would continue to stay.

The only thing I would say that the Hilton could upgrade on is there bed. The bead is kind of springy and was not really plush as advertised. My bed at home was better that theirs but it wasn't terrible. The best thing was we went to a party the night before check out and came in real late and we really did not want to wake up at 11:00, so I called the front desk to ask about late check out and she said you can leave at 2:00 an no extra charge!!! We really loved that so all in all it was a good experience!!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NE Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

I was returning from Europe on a buisness trip and missed my connecting flight in Philadelphia and had to quickly find a room near the airport. US Air offered a voucher for another hotel near the airport, but I had unfortunately stayed there the last time they cancelled my flight and knew better than to return to that dump. I called the Hilton and got a room right away. Caught the shutle from the airport and it was quite easy. Check in was quick and I was assigned a room on the 8th floor.
I was exhausted so the room was comfortable for one night. The room had a few updated items like the bedding and television, and the desk chair. But when I was in the elevator or walked through the hallways it still felt a bit outdatted. Not sure if it was the carpet, the walls or what. The bathroom was "okay" but my tub didn't drain well (a big pet peeve for me). I ordered a bowl of soup from room service and although it tasted pretty good, it looked like it was in the bowl overnight and reheated in a microwave before bringing it up.
All that said, after my last experience at another Philly airpot hotel that will remain unnamed, the Hilton is a prize. If ever in a similar situation when passing through, I'll choose the Hilton again.

Stayed November 2008
Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2008

I spend my life going to conferences it seems, and went to yet another conference, in Philly, the first part of October '08.

This hotel really exceeded my expectations, on many levels. It was very close to the airport and very easy to locate. Also only about a 15 minute drive to down town Philly- a very interesting drive.

Our rooms were freshly re-done with new furniture. Everything was perfect upon arrival to the room. Perfect!! I was in several other rooms as well on different levels of the hotel- everything was the same. The beds were very comfortable and there were many pillow types to choose from on each bed. The FREE intranet service plug in the rooms was very, very nice, but it actually ended being a slower connection than my mobile broadband card-- perhaps because it was a very busy weekend with lots of business travelers there for conventions and it was overloaded, not sure.

One piece of advice- if you want pop to drink- buy it from the gift shop downstairs, where a bottle is only $1.00. In the machines on each floor it was $2.50. I had room service on our last morning there which was fantastic and to the room right on time that I had pre-ordered it for.

We spent a lot of time in the conference center, restaurant, bar area and pool. The service in the bar was FANTASTIC and there were plenty of screens to watch playoff games on. Not the hoity-toity kind of service you typically assoicate with a high-class hotel, but down-home locals who were obviously working check-to-check and knew that their great service would earn them a great tip. I just loved the atmosphere in the bar area. Even when it was packed, our table service for food and drinks was AMAZING. The restaurant was fantastic. The pool was great. And the conference center area was very nice with screens up to what was in each conference room. Very nice and up-scale.

Things that were just ok were check-in (a tad on the unprofessional side and they told people their room numbers aloud which is a serious no-no), and the noise level from elevators people coming/going on each floor was a bit loud.

• Liked — The in-room business accommodations- free internet and printing capabilities from your room!
  • Disliked — Some noise from the halls/elevator area.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!