“Nice hotel - great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Penn's View Hotel

You added Penn's View Hotel to your Saves list
Penn's View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 North Front St. & Market, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
St. Louis, MO
“Nice hotel - great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Very charming hotel. Room was adequate size. They have a nice continental breakfast. You can make your own waffles, eggs, toast,...besides the fruit and pastries. Excellent restaurant in the hotel as well. This facility is at the corner of Front St. and Market., Directly across the road is the Delaware River. Walk out the front door and you are within easy walking distance of a majority of the historic sites as well as many good restaurants and bars. We would stay at this hotel the next time we go back to Philly.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have a private balcony. We were on the 5th floor. Heard no road noise. The elevato...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Belvidere, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel is in a great location if you want to walk around the historic district of Philadelphia. At first I was concerned by how close the hotel is to the highway, but the room was very quiet. Take advantage of the "happy hour" special in the restaurant. The wine selection is truly amazing.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was returning to my hometown of Phildelphia to attend a reunion of one of the branches of my family. I decided to check TripAdvisor for listings of hotels to see which were the closest to the reunion site. The hall was in a residential area of the city so I looked downtown. I chose the Penn's View Hotel because it was the closest to Interstate 95, the Riverfront, Penn's Landing and Olde City Philadelphia. I was not disappointed.

I came into the city from the south using I-95 and the Penn's View was easy to find. The hotel faces the Delaware River. There is a private parking lot next door not affiliated with the hotel that was miore than convenient and charged $23 a day (in and out); a good fee for the center of a big city. In just a few steps I was in the small lobby and checked in quickly. I took the slooooow elevator to the 2nd floor.

The room was adequate in size with a high ceiling, very clean and had an outstanding air conditioner. It came with cable TV and Wi-Fi but the staff said some devices could not fully connect with the Wi-fi and that this was being checked for correction. The closet was small but contained an iron and ironing board, a luggage rack, plenty of hangers and a terrycloth bathrobe. There was a desk and a small table in the room. I noticed a French door by the windows and found that you have access to a small 2 ft. by 4 ft. balcony. Most views are not great but on nice evenings you have access to the night air. The bathroom was covered with tile and marble. The basic toiletries were provided. Mine was a standard queen-sized room and did not have a refrigerator.

I did not eat dinner at the restaurant which had an impressive menu. I did, however, take advantage of a wine tasting on Friday. Rieslings were the subject and there was a discount given when tasting the 'flight' of 8 rieslings from Europe and the USA. A wine expert helped all tasters along the way and pleasantly provided useful information without too much embellishment. Cheese, vegetables and breads were provided along with dips and butter. This is a good way to get conversations going among people who may not know each other. The bar is certified by the Guiness Book of World Records as having the largest winekeeper in the world: 120 bottles of wine attached to nitrogen bottles which backfill each bottle as a glass is poured, thus preserving the remaining wine. The bar is furnished in dark wood and is great for an end of day cocktail, wine or beer.

The hotel is extremely quiet even in proximity to a major highway and streets. The staff is pleasant and helpful. Last of all, a substantial continental breakfast is available to all guests each morning. Check out was at Noon.

I would stay at this hotel again and I recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

All in all, our experience at Penn's View Hotel was pleasurable. The hotel was beautiful, clean and most of all reflective of the history that Philadelphia possesses.

One of the major issues that I had was that parking was not included. Maybe I have my own ignorance to blame for not thinking to check; however, with various other policies plastered all over our reservation, I was very disappointed to not have been notified in advance that hotel parking was an additional $23 per day. After notifying the representative that we were not aware of the additional fee and inquired about other parking options in the area, she quickly shrugged us off as if it was not her concern. To make matters worse, later that afternoon, we had found out ourselves that, literally, across the street there had been free overnight parking.

Though I understand it is not the responsibility of the hotel to provide parking, I do believe they do owe it to their patrons to inform them prior to arriving at the hotel. Additionally, when a customer brings a concern to the hotel's attention, it is all their responsibility to tend to the issue in a professional and helpful manner - not shove the customer off in attempts to collect additional revenue in parking fees.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
pvh215, General Manager at Penn's View Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
We apologize for the confusion. Guest who are parking ususally tell us in advance - we will make sure we ask in the advance in the future. The parking lot is adjacent to us and is the most easily accessible. We do not tell people to park on the street, possible some spots are "free" on Sundays, but if you park there and don't go back before 8am the next day you will get a ticket and possibly towed.

Below is taken directly from our website under "Maps & Directions"

Parking
The parking lot adjacent to the hotel is operated by Patriot Parking. The current cost is $23.00* per day. Additional rates may apply if your car is parked longer after check out. Patriot Parking accepts credit cards.
Penn's View Hotel does not own or operate the parking lot. If you wish to use another lot, there are various parking lots in Old City close to the hotel. There is metered street parking, but it is enforced daily and the cost of a ticket is more than the parking lots.
There is a loading zone for all hotel guests in front of the building. Guests are welcome to check in, drop off luggage, and park their cars after the check in process.
*Rates are subject to change.

Thank you for your feed back.
Smyrna, Delaware, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Our stay at the Penn's View Hotel was awesome. The service and staff were excellent and views of Penn's Landing were great. This hotel is in the perfect place to visit and see the history of Philadelphia. The attractions are right outside the door. The bar was fantastic and so was the breakfast. The room was just as the website described and much more sound proof than expected. We both had a good night sleep and really enjoyed our room. I would recommend taking a Sunset sail cruise about 3 blocks away (American Sailing Tours) and if you like adventure try the Detour Segway tour through Philadelphia, both were very fun and exciting.

The only disappointment was the parking for the hotel. It was packed and we paid $43.00 dollars a night. I would have though the Hotel would have picked up this voucher, but the price of the room was very reasonable, we were just not use to staying in a large city with this type of parking arrangement.

Room Tip: Stay on the 5th floor and ask for a room with a balcony, the views from our room were breath- taking...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
pvh215, General Manager at Penn's View Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for the glowing review and cool pictures. . We really appreciate it when we meet and exced guests expectations.

Just a side note - The parking is not operated by us, but the rate is $23 for overnight parking not $43. It is fairly reasonable for downtown 24hr parking. There are other lots/garages in our nieghborhood and they all charge around $20-25 .

Thanks again.
Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was on the list of hotels within walking distance of the office where I worked this week. The extra bonus here is that it's also a short walk to many restaurants and historic attractions such as the liberty bell. Aside from the great location, the hotel itself is not generic like a chain hotel, it has character and a comfortable, warm feeling. The room itself was adequate size with lovely hardwood floors and a well renovated, very clean bathroom with a tub.

The bar area reminded me of something from a old time Cary Grant movie (minus the cigarettes). It was dark, cozy and definitely inviting. If I lived nearby I could see this being a favorite spot for dinner with friends.

I asked for a quite room and was placed in an "interior" type room, which still has a window, but is buffered from the exterior of the building due to the layout. I could still hear faint traffic noise as there is a busy highway nearby, but it was minimal. The bed was fine, a little hard for my taste, but not a problem.

The continental breakfast, which was included, was fabulous. There was plenty of variety to satisfy most people including a lovely selection of fresh fruit.

Now that I have raved about this place, I would point out that it is not what I personally consider an "upscale" 5 star hotel, but rather a lovely, warm, clean, very, very nice home away from home. A great value also.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I love staying at the Penn's View Hotel. It reminds us of the elegant, quaint hotel we stayed in on our honeymoon in Paris. The moment you walk in, you are greeted at the front desk by the lovely and refined Adrienne. Antonio, the concierge, goes out of his way to make sure you are comfortable and can answer any questions you may have about this great city. He helped us plan a trip to our favorite museum (Rodin) and we enjoyed it immensely. He always greets us with a welcoming smile. He is an excellent ambassador. Our room was lovely.
The rooms are always extremely spotless. They are quiet, spacious and beautiful. Some have breathtaking views. The ammenities are many and very tasteful.
We love the award winning wine bar. Bobby the mixologist, knows everything there is to know about wine. He also makes great cocktails. We had a wonderful dinner at Ristorante Panorama. Our server, Julie was charming and witty. She really knew how to help guide us with our meal choices. I had the most delicious, juicy Pork tenderloin with broccoli rabe, cheese sauce and shoestring potatoes. My husband had Branzino for the first time and loved it. The General Manager, William Eccelston, went from table to table greeting each guest. We really felt like family.
We can't wait to return to the Penn's view. As a matter of fact, we are going back next week!
We highly recommend this lovely hotel to anyone planning a visit to Philadelphia. You are guaranteed to leave with a smile on your face.
David & Roxanne M
New York City
P.S. I forgot to mention the complimentary breakfast. A great start to the day!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Penn's View Hotel? Share your experiences!