“Amazing Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Penn's View Hotel

Save Saved
You added Penn's View Hotel to your Saves list
Penn's View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 North Front St. & Market, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
TripAdvisor Offer 10% Off
Ranked #17 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
San Francisco, California
“Amazing Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked this hotel for myself and reserved 10 rooms for the wedding party for my daughter who got married over Memorial Day weekend.Amazing service
all the way around. Staff was exceptional as was Front Desk Mgr who graced us with a smile everytime we saw him.The housekeeping staff was lovely and I changed rooms the nite before the wedding so the bride could stay with me and I left my phone charger in my old room. When I got back in the evening there it was in my new room.
I didnt eat at the resturant but others who did said it was great. And the breakfast in the morning was more than adequate. They let us all linger in the breakfast room the morning after the wedding so we could all say goodbye to one another. I will defintely stay there again next time in Philly.
Other hotels large and small should take lessons on hospitality from this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Eastern Long Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

If you are wanting to be in the 'Old City' area of Philadelphia then consider the Penn's View Hotel.
The rooms are welcoming with an eclectic decorating look, they are clean and spacious. Prices at Penn's View are modest (and don't forget the complimentary breakfast). Staff is helpful and friendly. If this were not enough reason stay at Penn's View; the inviting Bar adds to the draw, with a serious nod to wine enjoyment the Bar boasts a 120 tap cruvinet system which allows you to have tastings from an enormous selection of wines without having to buy an entire bottle.
Access to the historic Old City area made for a wonderful time away.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel faces I95 and can be noisy
West Chester, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Very quaint, historic, relatively inexpensive hotel on the waterfront with Penn's Landing view. Walking distance to great, restaurants and shopping. Attentive staff, above average attached restaurant.

North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

When I book a hotel in a new city I always try to find something with a little historic character that's in a neighborhood convenient to the tourist area. This hotel is exactly that - absolutely great location, within walking distance of all the Old City attractions and an endless number of restaurants with easy access to public transit. Our room was clean and quiet and the staff was helpful without being overbearing. Highly recommend.

Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I had to return to my hometown for a college reunion. Most of the hotels were booked months in advance because of a medical convention, and a friend of mine from school found this place. My stay was great and I loved the old style decor of the place. This place is great for a short stay in the city. Everything met my expectation.

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong staying here on short notice trips.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Nearly everything about Penn's View was exceptional and exactly what I was looking for for my out-of-town wedding guests. Having grown up in Philly (now in SF), I wanted a hotel that was in an area that was walkable for most tourist sites and where people wouldn't necessarily need a car. The location is perfect. Reserving a block of rooms was also very easy, and the staff were incredibly accommodating and flexible with several phone calls. They also gave us the suite for the bridal party to get ready and a beautiful room with a balcony overlooking the bridge for our wedding night--all at the same block price. The staff made sure that everything was perfect and changing rooms went smoothly; they moved all of our things from one room to another while we were at our wedding. They also coordinated our out-of-town gift bags and made sure all of our guests received them, and coordinated my wedding dress being returned from the steamers while I was busy. I really just can't say enough about how awesome the staff were.

Our rooms were also very nice. The suite was perfect for what we were looking for and our upgraded room for the next few days was beautiful. The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms were well appointed. The included breakfast was also good.

I didn't try the food at the restaurant, but the drinks were varied and great, and the staff there were equally great. The night after our wedding a few of us were in the bar and we wanted to drink the champagne that the hotel left us in our room. We also wanted to slice up the wedding cake top since we weren't going to travel with it and didn't want it to go to waste. The restaurant staff very nicely waived the corkage and cutting fees and we all had a great time. They also have the coolest glass holder for their wine flights!

My only complaints are small ones. I prefer having real hangers with the hook. The hangers in the closets here are those that are attached to the hooks, so if you want to hang something somewhere else, you're out of luck. Also, the parking fee is quite high if you do have a car. The parking costs alone usually keeps me from staying in the city when I come "home". But if I ever do feel like eating the cost of parking, Penn's View is where I'll stay!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
pvh215, General Manager at Penn's View Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate the time you took to review the hotel after your wedding. The staff is more than happy to make your important occasion stress-free and look forward to your return visits to Philadelphia. Philly is a very walkable city, next time leave the car at home. We also have "real hangers" available upon request if you need some in the future. Thanks again & Congratulations !!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was the worst hotel I ever stayed at. Penn's View Hotel used to be shipping warehouse and is located next to the 95 freeways. You can hear constant traffic all night long. The walls and ceiling are also paper thin, so with the hardwood floors, my room was vibrating from all the stomping. I could hear everything the people were saying next door to me and outside the hall with my door closed. I asked for a quiet room, and all the manager could offer was a nonstandard room (I believed it was a used for the housekeepers' quarters-which looked nothing like the pictures of the room I paid for). Don't be deceived by the charming photos of the hotel and rooms. There is nothing quiet or charming about this "hostel."

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel if you want some peace and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
We apologize for your disruptive stay. The hotel does everything to accommodate each guests request, " quiet room in the back ' or a "high floor" etc... Upgrading the second night is sometimes the best that can be done and was in this case. Sorry that you feel a room with exposed brick, large Jacuzzi bath and a gas fireplace can be confused with a room attendant's closet. Yes we are in a large city and yes we are by I-95, but we do have interior rooms and high floors that guests can request even if it was booked the day before as was in this booking. We again apologize and hope you could make a return visit so we could make up for any inconsistencies.

Been to Penn's View Hotel? Share your experiences!