“Wonderful rooms, great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Hotel at Independence Park

You added Omni Hotel at Independence Park to your Saves list
Omni Hotel at Independence Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #11 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Singapore, Singapore
“Wonderful rooms, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

Our local branch office booked us into the Omni for our recent conference.

It's a great hotel in the historical district of Philadelphia, about 3minutes from the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. Rooms were very large with King beds, numerous side tables and a full-sized sofa along with all the usual mod cons. Beds were very comfortable and the room had free wireless internet access.

We had a special breakfast buffet set aside for us, but the hot food some of us ordered was of a very good standard.

The staff were also very helpful in organising a late check-out for us and helping with bags etc.

In short, the Omni is a wonderful luxury hotel.

• Liked — A five-star hotel that really merits its stars
  • Disliked — Air-conditioning was a little noisy
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

Stayed at the hotel March 10-13, 2007. From the moment we pulled up the staff was friendly and helpful. We took several dining suggestions from the conceirge, Gale, and they were all very good - Spasso's, Positano Coast, Bar Ferdinand, Amada.

The location of the hotel couldn't be beat, right in the Independence Park. We walked everywhere. Our room was a king bed room on the 6th floor overlooking the Second Bank. We were directly across from the elevator which was a concern but we never once heard the elevator.

The rooms are obviously old and could definitely use some sprucing up and painting. The housekeeping needs to do their job better. There were long brown hairs on the light colored shower wall when we checked out 3 days later 2 of the 3 hairs were still there. We made an effort not to wash them away while showering just to see if the housekeeper would ever clean it.

We signed up for the Select Guest program on their website and so we were sent up coffee and orange juice every morning which was really nice.

The valet parking is expensive $30/day as everyone says but it's very convenient and they are fast at getting your car for you.

I'd stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Location and friendly helpful staff
  • Disliked — housekeeping and lack of in room movies
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

Stayed here Apr.13-14. We had 2 rooms. They allowed us the check in early. The service was excellent. Everyone from the bell guy, concierge and front desk. Everyone was eager to help. The room was clean and everything was in working order. If you are in Philly for a historical visit, this is the hotel to stay in. You can walk to all historical attractions.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2007

We came back to Omni because it's in a great area (the historic district), the bed was divine, and the service first rate. We arrived early and they allowed us to go to our room (what a treat). They were the same courteous, well-manner staff we left behind. The room, however, was not. The bed was so hard we both woke up in pain. The pillows had quills sticking into our faces. We called and asked for two more - they were worse than worse and felt like something that had foam was robbed and stuffed into pillow cases.

The plasma TV, the least of our problems, was far left of the bed. Nice feature, poor placement. The curtains didn't close all the way. We closed them with pant hangers; really!

I called in the morning and the head of the front desk was up and was switching our rooms in less than ten minutes. Hurrah. We also got passes for two free breakfasts. No sleep, free breakfast, it was a nice thought. The 2nd room had a TV (normal size) whose volume control didn't work. We weren't calling them about this. There was a leak of cold air in the room. So, we turned up the heat and felt cold air all night. The bed was minimally better, the pillows were much better. We slept a little better. We were both exhausted the following morning and left without following up on these other problems. Someone else can deal with them.

When we went downstairs on Sunday, they were serving coffee, danish, and bagels. The room where people were eating was a mess (I was concerned about sitting down). They were out of hot water, coffee, you name it - this was quickly rectified but by then, I was getting ready to leave and go elsewhere for coffee.

I've stayed at the Sheraton, Hilton, B&Bs, L'Efant Plaza, etc. Some had problems, others did not. But, the amount of money we spent did not equal what we received. It applied somewhat to the superb service. If I need a place with great service, I'll go back. If I need a place to sleep, I will have great trepidations... you should as well. At this moment, about one week later, I still would not return. There must be other places in Philly to stay.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2007

I selected the Omni because of the hotel's 5-star location (next door to Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, etc.) Prior to arriving, I joined the Omni's return guest program (I'm not sure of the program's actual name), without understanding what that meant. To my surprise, it meant that, when I arrived, I was greeted by name at the front desk (which had already checked me in, without requiring me to stand in line or sign anything) and handed a packet that included complimentary coffee and juice with breakfast. I was also given a beautiful, oversized room on the 14th floor, with a great view and a huge bathroom that included a separate, jetted soaking tub. NICE! I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that the hotel offers a free, wireless internet connection. And I had a 50-inch plasma TV!

The staff was friendly and competent. My only two complaints are (1) the parking fee ($32.00 is on the high side), and (2) my beautiful room did not have a writing desk!! I have to say, this was a first. I can't recall the last time I was in a hotel without a desk. Because I was in the city on business, this was a big deal for me. However, since the internet connection was wireless, I worked in my extremely comfortable, king bed. So I forgave the hotel for not providing a desk.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel in a great part of town. I will return. (Assuming, of course, that I can get a desk the next time!)

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Long Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2007

I visited Omni Hotel at Independence Park between March 8 and March 11. First, the staff treated me with great respect from the time I first walked inside of the Hotel. The bellmen were very courteous and professional, the hotel exterior and interior is very elegant and the concierge woman was definitely helpful and friendly. That Saturday, the concierge woman had helped me locate a few restaurants within the historic area. The hotel is within walking distance of Philadelphia's finest restaurants and tourist attractions.

First, I consider myself to be self obsessed with neatness and the Omni Hotel at Independence Park did not disappoint me. My room was very clean, the furniture was nice (although the bedroom dresser was a LITTLE worn), the carpet was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Most importantly, the bathroom was beautiful and I took a great shower; the water pressure was excellent. In addition, I did not have any problems with noise and guests can control the temperature of their rooms by using the computerized thermostats.

I used the hotel gym everyday and the personal trainer was very pleasant and helpful. I visited the hotel spa and received a 30 minute massage. Well, the massage was so comfortable to the point that I slept through it.

I recommend Omni Hotel at Independence Park because of its perfect location, the staff is very professional and the hotel is well maintained.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chappaqua, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2007

My spouse, 12 yr old child and I just returned from 3 days/2 nights at Omni Parker in Philadelphia, and found it quite satisfying. It has an old world feel, without being overly pretentious or stuffy. The lobby is mostly marble, with a large floral centerpiece, and comfortable sofas and chairs. A pianist tickles the ivories around 5pm in the lobby just off of the (dignified and uncrowded) bar area.

Our room had great view of Independence mall; also a flat screen TV, marble bath, a good supply of pillows and bath towels without having to request more, and was fairly commodious and clean. The beds were comfortable.

The hotel is centrally located in historic area, just a stone's throw from 2nd Bank of the US Art Museum, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and a short walk to US Mint, Betsy Ross House, Ben Franklin's grave, and other historical sites.

The Health Club is vy smart (biege marble) design (just opended a few mos ago) , and has a lap pool, hot tub, sauna, and new high end Lifeline Workout equipment. You can shower in the locker room, and they give you a locker on request. We enjoyed a swim after a long day of sightseeing.

Staff was solicitous and helpful.

We didn't dine in hotel restaurant (Azaleas) so can't comment on food, although decor appeared inviting and upscale.

Choose the valet parking (unlimited in/out) at $32/nite, but use combo of cab, trolly bus or shoeleather to get around town, since you'll probably have to pay for parking lot at your destination if its in city proper.

Only negative observations were slightly thin walls, where one could hear TV in the next room (they stock earplugs at front desk), and slipperiness of the marble/tile floor surrounding pool.

Overall, we were very satisfied with the Omni Hotel at Independence Park, and even prefer its more understated charm to the "over the top" grandiousity and opulence of the Ritz or pricy elegance of the Rittenhouse, wherein we also poked our heads.

Would definitely choose the Omni again.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Omni Hotel at Independence Park? Share your experiences!