“Solid hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Hotel at Independence Park

Save Saved
You added Omni Hotel at Independence Park to your Saves list
Omni Hotel at Independence Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #12 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Falls Church, Virginia
“Solid hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

No complaints. Nice spacious rooms. Everything you might need. Very reasonable price and a great value. The staff was also very friendly and attentive. The location seemed central, although I did not see anything amazing in the immediate vicinity.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

990 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel during my visit to Philadelphia for a wedding. This was the chosen hotel for the wedding so we had a handful of rooms rented out.

My personal experience was this:

Checked in, with a friend, separate rooms. She was given a much "nicer" (larger) room even though the hotel does not really explain that they have different floor plans. (Pretty much "normal room" or "penthouse" is all you can book, then it appears to become first come first serve).

The room I received was MUCH MUCH smaller: you open the door, nearly walk directly into the bathroom, on the other side is the dresser with the tv on top. Mini fridge and safe inside. No couch, and I do believe it had a desk/chair shoved in there in a very odd way. There was a door connecting this room and it was particularly noisy. I could hear the people in the next room over talking quite clearly.

Unfortunately, the heat in this room was not working, and the temperature was 64F inside the room. I wandered back down stairs and explained the issue, they offered to send maintenance up, but I told them I would rather change to a different room than have maintenance try and resolve it.

The next room was quite surprising - it was nearly double the size and had a beautiful view (the other room had a view of the side of a building); it also had a pull out couch, table, and a desk + chair. This room was much more of what I would have expected from this hotel as a standard room. This room also had no connecting door which was nice for sound insulation. My friend's similarly sized room DID have a connecting door.

The property seems to be reasonably well maintained (clean) in appearance for being so old (historic). My room was "reasonably clean" which has become less-than-common these days (eg, it was cleaner than most other 4+ star hotels). Unfortunately, another person in the wedding party said their bathtub was "unacceptably dirty" which I thought was disappointing.

Most surfaces in the room were dust free (big deal to me, allergies) - even window sills, "behind the lamps", etc. The bathroom needs a little refresher. The toilet seats seem like they are right out of the mid 90's. My tub/shower was clean, water pressure was good, and hot water was immediate (not common in old hotels!). The shower-over-tub combo is lacking an adjustable shower head - which most hotels have these days. It was simply a large shower head with no adjustment and little movement.

The bed was comfortable - not amazing, but very good. All linens appeared to be "fresh"/clean without any obnoxious fragrances or that "extra bleached" smell.

The lobby of the hotel is nicely laid out. Clerks are to the left, and then there is a large sitting area to the right with a few couches / tables / chairs, and a beautiful fireplace. If you continue just past that, you are at the hotel bar. I did not visit it personally - but it appeared to be fairly nice.

I had requested a late checkout, and given the fact that we were part of a very large group - renting a good amount of the hotel (including the penthouse); they were unwavering in the late checkout without a fee. I was unimpressed with that aspect.

On my Sunday checkout my friend and I decided to go and take a look at the Sunday Brunch -
This is in the restaurant area of the hotel and has a beautiful layout and furniture that has a very "regal" feel with huge windows and a beautiful view of the city. The tables are nicely spaced and of varying size, allowing a lot of privacy and comfort.

The arrangement of food is quite broad; including made to order waffles, omelets, and tons of baked items, bagels, bacon, sausage, etc.

The staff attending this area are honestly what made the experience - EVERYONE on staff in the brunch area were absolutely on-the-ball and made you feel "at home". We arrived fairly late for brunch and there was no "push" for us to leave. They continued to bring out fresh food into the early afternoon (2PM+) as other guests were still dining.

Again - the staff in this area were so attentive and pleasant that it was refreshing - it made my pre-flight departure much more bearable. Our drinks remained filled, we never had to "ask" for them to come over to us - yet they managed to maintain perfect timing for checking on us to make sure we had everything we needed and were enjoying ourselves. I saw them treat other guests the exact way and above - someone had requested spinach in their omelet, which they did not have out. They promptly offered - without hesitation, to get some from the kitchen so her food could be prepared as she requested. Excellent service.

All said and done - this hotel was "good". I don't like the huge difference in room layouts, but that is expected in an older building - but it does become frustrating when you get "stuck" in one of the much-lesser suites. The larger rooms with views are much more welcoming.

I got a very reasonable price on the room for my stay and would definitely consider staying again when I return to Philadelphia.

Room Tip: Out of the rooms I saw my preferred was the "larger" room with NO connecting door/suite. T...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Richmond VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Omni Hotel at Independence Park provided a great location for my most recent business trip. Within easy walking distance of both my business and local attractions, this is an ideal place to stay for both business and touring. The room was great ( with a view of Independence Hall) but what made this stay memorable was the highly efficient and friendly staff. From beginning to end, and with a pleasant and helpful bartender in between, the staff made me feel welcome and appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Independence Park!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We, family with two teens, stayed at theOmni for four nights this past week and was really comfortable and impressed....our room over looked the park and was very clean and spacious. staff was friendly and relaxed. fantastic location for site seeing and or food...

we would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to our most fussiest friends.

Room Tip: cant say for others, but ask for a room facing the park for the view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This place is very nice! I always thought it was too expensive, but I got a great Internet deal.
I have a king-sized bed - it's a fairly large room with a good-sized bathroom. Very good bath products and in room coffee maker w/tea and decaf. The staff is super nice.
There is room service, a pool and a spa. Next time I come back, I'll try those.
This is a great location for the sights in the historical section of Philadelphia. The Liberty Bell is literally around the corner.

Room Tip: My view is of an office building and a Cosi Restaurant. Not a great view. Go higher up to see the De...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Rio Linda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Sunday Brunch at the Omni Hotel is quite lovely. The atmosphere is classic and the food is delicious. Omlettes, bacon, waffles, sweet treats, pasta, fish, carved meats. Most things you can imagine are available on this brunch.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
State College
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Great hotel in excellent location. Close to Liberty Bell, Independence hall, the Philadelphia Mint, and other historical sights. Many restaurants located nearby. Short walk to the Philadelphia Convention Center, Chinatown, and Reading Terminal Market. Staff was excellent. Went out of their way to identify restaurants and local attractions. Also had valet parking which was great since we did not have to look for a parking lot in the evening when we arrived. They held our bags and allowed us to leave our car for the day that we checked out. The room was large, had an updated bathroom, furniture, and bed. Great view.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Omni Hotel at Independence Park? Share your experiences!