“Best location and deal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Philadelphia Hotel

You added Loews Philadelphia Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Philadelphia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Jersey
“Best location and deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

This was my third or fourth time at this hotel, and I continue to like it a lot. It is a stylish modern hotel that doesn't feel as big as it is. Located across the street from the convention center, down the street from Reading Terminal Market, and a short walk from great shopping and restaurants, the gay neighborhood, and Liberty Bell/Independence Hall area, you are close to everything. The hotel has valet parking in its own garage, but there is a very convenient garage across the side street that offers parking for less money. We parked there and saved around $20. Due to timing, we had to store our bags with the bell hop two times. They were always helpful and friendly. The rooms have very comfortable bedding and furniture, and are quiet. One quirk was in the bathroom. The toilet is against a wall that has the counter ledge coming out too far. When up, the top toilet seat leans against the ledge at an angle. The bottom toilet seat cannot even lean because of the ledge, so it always flops back down. If you want it up, you have to rest it on your back when sitting. Strange, but true.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
Baltimore, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

M birthday was in November and I planned a Philly weekend with my hubby. We were going to stay at the Loews and go to eat at Morimoto restaurant. I live in Baltimore so its not a far drive. We arrived on Saturday around 4pm....and the entire lobby was a mob scene. It was crazy. I noticed wedding goody bags behind the front counter, 3 sets of them! So obviously the hotel was busy. There were a bunch of people waiting around, with luggage. That made me nervous. We check in and surprise - our room isnt ready yet - they couldn't say when our room would be ready. I had plans to meet a friend for drinks at 6pm and still had to shower. This made me nervous. Also, check in time is 2pm. It was 4pm! And of course we had a reservation! We talk to Marcus, the manager on duty. First he ignored us for about 5 minutes while we were standing right in front of him. Then he coldly helped us. He just didn't seem to care. He said that if we needed a room right away, he could bump us in front of all the others that were already waiting ahead of us (oh so this is OUR fault?) and get us a room. We say yes please get us a room! I reminded him that I booked a superior room (king bed, larger than the other rooms on a high floor with a view). He says that the room is he giving us is the same kind. Yea right....we get up to the room and its directly next to the elevator (lots of noise with all the wedding guests saying over), very small, with a view of a brick wall. This is not what I booked! We returned to the lobby and told him that that is not the room we wanted. He looked me square in the face and said 'Well I'm sorry there is nothing I can do.' I said 'Well thank you for ruining my birthday'. And we left! And he didn't attempt to stop us or get us another room. I was floored! My husband has stayed at this hotel before and had nothing but great things to say.
2 Days later I called the general manager and explained the situation to him. He seemed apologetic, but said that when its busy like that there isn't much they could do. Dont reservations count for anything? Anyway, I got 2 free nights coming to me that I plan on using this spring. We will see how Loews measures up then! I didn't completely rate them bad because they did give me the 2 nights and I appreciate them trying to fix the situation...but they did ruin my birthday and I wasted a trip up to Philly. Service is a really big deal to me and I refuse to accept being treated badly. Esp when there are so many other hotels out there that deserve the business. We shall see if they can change my mind about them!

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Lehigh Valley, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

We stayed at the Loews during a blizzard (one of Philly's all time largest snow storms too). Valet was very helpful, parking was easy. The staff warmly welcomed us and helped us to our room. They also were very helpful with showing us the facility. The spa was great, one of the best massages I've ever had.

We went to the bar after eating dinner elsewhere, we talked with a few people who were staying at other hotels (for business) but came to the Loews for the bar and atmosphere.

We had a small issue with the group that was staying next door to us. They came back to their room a little after 2 in the morning and were very loud. We tolerated it for a bit but ended up calling the front desk (we hated to do it, it made us feel old!). They sent security up (within a few minutes) and they took care of it. The guard even said "I can hear you from the hallway, you're going to have to keep it down". It was handled and I appreciated the fact that he didn't say "someone called and complained". The remainder of our night was quiet and we realized it wasn't the Loew's fault but they handled it promptly.

We enjoyed our stay! It was well worth the money!

NY Metro Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

If Trip Advisor allowed a half point rating, I would give the Loews Hotel a 3.5. My girlfriend booked the Loews for a romantic Valentine’s weekend trip. We had a corner king room with a great view of the city. There were some great points as well as some bad points.

The good:
You cannot beat the location of this hotel. It is located within walking distance of Readington Terminal Market, Independence Hall, the museum district, and some great restaurants and bars. The staff at the front desk was friendly, and they even allowed us to check-in early. I thought the price of the room was very reasonable given it was Valentine’s weekend. The décor in the lobby is very modern. The room size was average for a major city hotel. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was very clean. I felt the living area of the room could have been a little cleaner, but not disgustingly dirty. The desks and dressers could have used a little dusting.

The bad:
What separates this hotel from the great hotels is the service. The hotel may need a management change because the service we got was below an acceptable level. First, the service at the bar (which is part of Sole Food Restaurant) was horrible. There were maybe 15 people at the bar, but the bartender was over overwhelmed. It took us over 20 minutes to get our first drink. While trying to get our second drink, the bartender kept ignoring me. His manager actually disciplined him for not taking my drink order in a timely matter and ignoring me. The bartender also messed up our food order. Our second issue with subpar service was with in-room dining. The room service menu looked pretty good, so we decided to have a late lunch and have room service around 10:00 PM. Per the menu, room service was SUPPOSED to be offered through 11:30 PM. When I called for room service at 10:00 PM, they refused to let me order off the dinner menu advised if I wanted room service I had to order from the “late night” menu, which is supposed to start at 11:30 PM. VEGETARIANS PLEASE BE WARNED!!! The late night menu only offers one salad as a vegetarian alternative, while the regular menu has a nice selection of vegetarian dishes. I tried discussing this matter with the person taking our order, because my girlfriend is a vegetarian, but she would not budge, nor did she care. I could understand if I called at 11:15, but I feel regular room service should be available 90 minutes before their stated deadline.

We were generally satisfied with our stay, even though the service could have been a lot better. We are planning another trip to Philadelphia in the next few months, and we plan to give this hotel a second chance.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Georgetown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here on a whim. We had been in the Philadelphia/Bucks country area on a long vacation. We had no reservations for this hotel, however, when we asked a few people in Art area for a recommendation, they gave us this one.

Our room was beautifully designed. The decor is modern and very envigorating. Front Desk Staff, pleasant! Doorman, WONDERFUL! Bar, wonderful. Location, wonderful!

Our overall exprience was simply splendid. We really did not want to leave. However our travels took us into the suburbs more, as we are visiting all the Civil War sites. This hotel is really wonderful.

My one and only complaint, the parking fee was a bit much. That's all!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Upstate, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

I traveled to Philly for a few days of business and chose the Loews as it was approved by my job. As I arrived from the train station, I was gfreeted by the Dorman named Coolage who addressed me by name (he read it from my suitcase) He was delightful!
He escorted me into the BEAUTIFUL lobby and I was greeted at the desk by a lovely desk clerk.
My room was on the 31st floor (which happened to be the conceirge floor) and my room was awesome!
Nice, well stocked bathroom. Huge King sized bed, desk, complimentary internet access on the floor and an AMAZING view of the Water and a nice bridge.
Each day I left, coolage would say "good Morning Mrs. Wilkinson" and gave me great advise on places to eat.
I recommend the reading terminal market for a quick lunch. the hard rock is just across the strees and they were super friendly there as well
the second night we had a great dinner in South Philly at the Witch bistro-HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!
Overall great trip-Look forward to returning when the weather is better to really check out this town.
Will definetly stay here!

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

I couldn't have been more pleased with our stay at Loews. Upon our arrival we were assigned to a room on a high floor but needed to switch to a lower floor. The front desk staff quickly and efficiently arranged for a different room, which was even more impressive considering that the hotel was booked for the weekend.
Everyone we encountered was incredibly nice and helpful. We would definitely stay there in the future.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Loews Philadelphia Hotel? Share your experiences!