“Loews Philadelphia is very good but not the best.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Philadelphia Hotel

You added Loews Philadelphia Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Philadelphia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
A Suite Deal!
Ranked #16 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington, DC
“Loews Philadelphia is very good but not the best.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

My overall assessment of the Loews Philadelphia is that while it is a very good hotel, it does not live up to its stated mission of ‘striv[ing] to provide a supremely comfortable stay.’ They need to strive some more, it appears. There are a lot of reasons for this opinion; I should start by saying that I was expecting a lot from Loews, as I was staying for three nights on one of several Concierge Club floors.

Service, from the ‘Star Service’ number to housekeeping to room service to the restaurant was in general lackluster or almost generic; however, I did send a note to the hotel’s general manager about an excellent concierge who was able to juggle several guests at once, and who gave me an excellent and appropriate restaurant recommendation. I also noted for the general manager a particularly gracious and helpful front-desk agent who, while answering some questions that I had before my arrival, helped to select a room that was great for me – and also express checked me in so that I just had to pick up my key upon arrival.

Cleanliness of the property was less than optimal. Almost every time that I went up or down my corridor, day or night, there would be dirtied room service items lying on the floor or on a car waiting to be taken away. This would be expected for a short time, but sometimes there were several trays lined up, in a couple cases overnight. This was not at all what I would expect from a fine hotel or on a Concierge Club floor. Also, I noted that that there were scraps of paper on a table near the bank of elevators for more than one full day. It made me wonder if the staff were really fully invested in their jobs and the hotel. Other than these instances, however, the rooms were neat and tidy.

My room and the rest of the property that I saw were very nice and well-appointed. Since the hotel is built from what was a bank building, there is an interesting vault door in the lobby, and a lot of the architectural appointments, art deco prints and photos, marble floors, high ceilings, etc., come from an earlier and very pleasant period. One odd thing, though, is that upon coming through the main entrance of the hotel, you see immediately sets of stairs and elevators leading to what seems a dark mezzanine; I had to be directed to the left and then the right to get to the lobby, which seemed out of the way. Strange welcome to the hotel, I thought. But all the floors had interesting lighting, furniture, clocks near the elevator banks, and more. My room had a wonderful view of the Philadelphia skyline, owing to being on the thirtieth floor; also, it has very nice appointments like Murano glass and steel bowls from India; there was even a live jade plant, which I found refreshing. My room also had a superior coffee-maker and lovely photos. Also, the room was very quiet, which is very important to me; the walls seemed to be thick as the vault in the lobby. I also appreciated the in-room safe.

The location was fine, near City Hall and in City Center; it is a good walk to Rittenhouse Square and many of the historic features of the city. Unfortunately, as is the case in many downtown hotels, the area around the building gets quiet and seemingly a little less safe at night. I would recommend taking a cab in the evenings.

I would stay at the Loews again, and would also recommend it to a friend. However, given that there are quite a few competing hotels in this price category, I would likely prefer to stay elsewhere next time I visit Philadelphia. A pleasant stay, but not extraordinary by any means.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
Kali
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

I just returned from a visit to Philadelphia, PA. My Bride and I stayed at the Loews. As a business traveler who spends over 120 days per year at various destinations around the world, I was impressed with Patrick the bellhop, the entire Valet Staff Andrea, Sacko, Seth and whomever else took excellent care of our rig. Also, Edgar the bartender was incredible along with the blonde hostess at Sole Food.

Whoever is running that hotel needs to gather insight and input from the teams that I mentioned before. This hotel has tremendous potential. It's location and history are the key elements for us. Also, we require a pet friendly hotel and this one certainly is that!

Recommendations
Do not ever place a cordial, gracious person in a room facing the roof. Exceedingly polite people are perfectionists who are likely to score very high on the Patrick Bateman index.

Do not ever toss guests' luggage on the cart, particularly not when they are standing right there. What planet was the doorman from? Why wasn't he stationed outside of the hotel? I had to place my super duty vehicle in reverse, to induce the taxi driver behind us to lean on the horn, because he thought that I was going to crush his taxi like a coke can with my MONSTER TRUCK. Sorry cabbie, but I had to get you to get the doorman to come out. He was not friendly. Luckily, Patrick showed up to collect us and take us to our room.

The concierge was great. Thank you for the offer to grant recommendations. Loews needs to update Arvel on the finer points of directing guests to subject matter experts. I asked him for places to stay and he made a comment or two, but never suggested or offered to introduce me to the concierge. I had to recommend this to him, to recommend to us. Arvel then booked us into a bum room. Mistake.

Patrick handled the switch to new room and even explained the rules regarding pets and which floors were pooch friendly.

In this economy, budgets are tight. Every firm is running on a skeleton crew. This means that service will diminish. However, the people who remain should be the best.

We stayed at the Four Seasons just up the street and received dismal treatment as well. The five or six youthful men there stood in our way as my Bride and I carried our luggage and pooch in. I had to tell them,
"Does anyone work here? Are you really going to watch my wife carry her luggage through the door?"

These people would need to take both shoes off to count to five.

Loews needs to cease relying upon its location, history and signature venue. PEOPLE matter. Please commend the excellent human beings mentioned above. Arvel warmed up, but he should be warming guests up, not the other way around.

I cannot recommend this hotel to a friend, without telling them to stay there if they have a pet and to prepare to have to demand service.

It's very telling when the valet, bartenders and bellhops are the heroes. They are the ones who deal with people and service which requires rapid turnaround. These people function at a high level. Promote them and get them to share best practices.

We called room service twice, to request tidying of the room. They confirmed that we could receive it at 12.30 one day. It never happened. Then, they confirmed that it would happen the next day at 3 pm. It never happened. We had no clean towels and had to sleep on dirty sheets. The gentleman who brought new towels at 2 am was great.

SET expectations. If they couldn't do it, I'd have been fine, but when they say it will be done I expect it to be done. My wife confirmed with the desk, after I called and requested. I came back to the same disheveled room that I left that morning. Unacceptable.

Philly Ad Club was SPECTACULAR. The wait staff were splendido.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Worcestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

We booked two rooms on the Concierge Club level. We have two teenage sons so we needed two rooms. Loews hotel did not do family rooms. It was a nice trendy hotel situated on Market Street. The allowed easy walking distance to all the main Philly sights. The rooms we had over looked City Hall and the William Penn statue so we had a great view from floor 30. As part of the Concierge Club level we had breakfast in the Business lounge. This was very nice with great 360 degree views over Philly.
The Leisure complex was a family favourite with time spent in the pool, on the massage chair and in the Spa. It was great to mix a city break holiday with relaxing in the Spa and pool area. The staff in the Leisure complex were excellent and very friendly. In fact all the staff were friendly; from the reception team that could not do enough for you, to hints and tips from the staff on the Concierge Club level during breakfast.
One evening we had a few drinks in the bar and really enjoyed the atmosphere.
All in all a big thumbs up for the Loews Hotel; the location, the staff and the Leisure complex.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

I recently traveled to Phili for a night stay with my cousin. Upon arrival, we were greeted by multiple people, all very friendly and helpful. Check-in person gave us a small but generous upgrade, very personable well. Our room was large, beds were super comfy, and while the bathrooms could use some work, overall, we had a great stay and I would def stay there again, no doubt! Amazing value, good service, and right in the heart of Phili, couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

They have a great restaurant but I was not impressed with the hotel at all. At the check in the attendant did not explain what was included in my package deal. I had to ask to make sure they knew and still they didn't cover all of it. There were no hangers in the closet for our jackets. We ask to use the computer on a Saturday eve and the "Business Center" was closed. Then the next day I called and ask what time would the "business center" open and they said that Sunday is closed all day, and that they would charge me to use the internet there. So, we were out all that day with the kids to come back at 4:00 pm and the room still was not done. We had to call the front desk for that. The check out bill was incorrect with extra charges. Very disappointed. Better to stay at the Marriot across the street.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

I stayed here several years ago and had a really good stay. hotel was clean and the service was impeccable, so I came back. I am basically disapointed.

The rooms are showing wear, the wallpaper is pealing in our bathroom. There are noticeable spots on the hallway carpet and the furniture in our rooms is significantly nicked and the doors to the tv cabinet are broken and do not shut.

Service is just ok. I feel like i am being nickeled and dimed for every request rather than expecting to be treated as a guest. I had a twenty minute wait with customer service to get my internet hooked up, and as a two laptop family, the hotel wanted to charge us twice. The wait or valet is much longer than the 15 minutes they tell you so plan ahead.

Overall, I am not unhappy that I chose the Loews, but I do not feel I am getting what I expected.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

the service is good and the room is big and spacious. the common area is showing its age a little. we enjoyed our stay. free internet in the lobby.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Loews Philadelphia Hotel? Share your experiences!